"No thanks, I'm a Taylormade guy..."

There is a guy I play with a few times a year who is 100% Nike, head to toe apparel too. I doubt he would play or even consider anything else. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Doesn't come as a surprise, I've played with a lot of random people that only carry the same brand in their bag. Played with two guys the other day that had all Nike stuff, I see a lot of TM stuff. People are brand loyal all the time, you see it a lot with cars.

I am pretty loyal to Titleist (obviously), I have tried Callaway, Ping and Mizuno as well but I haven't seen any major difference so I haven't changed. If something out there blows what I have now out of the water than I would change.

Interesting topic, I think most on THP will at least try other clubs because we all like shiny and new. Whether we can afford it or not, we all like to tinker and see what's out there.

Me personally I'm brand loyal in the sense of not only how equipment performs, but also how the OEM itself treats/interacts with customers. Obviously Callaway/Odyssey is at the top, but that goes beyond the marketing team or their interaction wth this site. Customer service has trickled down to every aspect of their supply chain & you have a bunch of stories where guys have reached out for whatever reason and are taken care of no questions asked.

Apparel is different l, but I'm a big Nike fan. That just how it's been since I was a kid. Golfing their apparel fit better for me and now I've ventured out in UA.

Bottom line I guess I will gravitate to certain brands, but will try anything once.

It's fairly common and I just see it as a way some enjoy the game. The equipment may make them loyal, maybe it's who plays the stuff on tour or something else, but apparently that guy would rather live and die with TM clubs even if another brand gave him better results.

I'd say I'm brand partial, and it's due to equipment performance as well as customer service. But if another club is working better for me, then it goes in the bag no matter what.

Interesting topic, I think most on THP will at least try other clubs because we all like shiny and new. Whether we can afford it or not, we all like to tinker and see what's out there.

Me personally I'm brand loyal in the sense of not only how equipment performs, but also how the OEM itself treats/interacts with customers. Obviously Callaway/Odyssey is at the top, but that goes beyond the marketing team or their interaction wth this site. Customer service has trickled down to every aspect of their supply chain & you have a bunch of stories where guys have reached out for whatever reason and are taken care of no questions asked.

Apparel is different l, but I'm a big Nike fan. That just how it's been since I was a kid. Golfing their apparel fit better for me and now I've ventured out in UA.

Bottom line I guess I will gravitate to certain brands, but will try anything once.

It is an interesting topic because I think there is a large difference between being brand loyal and a refusal to even try something else. Most golfers I know (even guys on tour) try other things. Its fun as golfers to hear different sounds, see different things and experience new. That is a big difference to brand loyalty to me, which seems like what most are discussing. Nothing right or wrong with any buying habits, its personal money and an emotional purchase, but I cant for the life of me understand why someone would just refuse to even hit anything other than one brand.

I like the phrase "brand partial" because that describes me pretty well. Last year I had a bag that was almost all Callaway/Odyssey because 1. I had a wonderful CS experience with them and it really made me want to support them, and 2. their gear can always be found at great prices.

This year it's across the board because I found clubs that work well with my swing, and I'm fine with that. Heck, I never thought I'd game a Titleist driver because of their perception as being better players clubs... and here I am hitting more fairways than I ever had with a 5 yr old club.

If someone handed me a club during a demo and I clearly outhit it over every other option I tried, I'd be nuts to pass it up simply because of the logo on it. Pricetag, maybe, but not the logo.

I think his reaction was more based on not wanting to be sold something.

I'm so brand loyal to Callaway I painted a Chevron on top of my M1 Driver and use a Callaway Head Cover. I don't want my sponsorship deal to go up in flames.

I used to hear it back in the day when I worked at GG, but really not anymore. I knew certain costumers who came in would only be interested in a certain brand.

But man there is so much good equipment out there by all different companies, its hard to be completely loyal to the point of not even trying something else.

I can't I imagine limiting myself to just one company. I try still support as many of the ODM's that support THP as a way of appreciation. I'll at least try some of its offerings.

But in the end I play what I feel helps my game the most.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I run into this all the time at DSG. Whatever is in their bag now, they want the update from that oem. More often than not though, if I get them to demo the club, they will demo other companies too. In the end, let them play what makes them happy. And this is coming from a guy with almost all Callaway gear.

I think his reaction was more based on not wanting to be sold something.

I don't think so, I should have mentioned a few more details.

A. The R15 was his, he brought it in to compare his current gamer to the M1 in the Sim.

B. Also we are running a contest right now that if you come in and hit your current driver against the GBB, you get a 2-ball pack of Chrome Soft balls. If you gain the most yards over your current gamer (over everyone that takes the challenge), you win two boxes of Chrome Soft balls.

I told him about the contest and he still didn't want to hit the GBB because he was "a Taylormade guy".

On a side note, not everyone that has taken the GBB challenge has been longer than their current gamer with the GBB. Ask E1erate, for him his M1 is longer than the GBB.

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run into this all the time at DSG. Whatever is in their bag now, they want the update from that oem. More often than not though, if I get them to demo the club, they will demo other companies too. And this is coming from a guy with almost all Callaway gear.

This 100%.... I'll admit that I'm brand partial (Callaway), but I've hit everything that we have in the store against my XR (M1, G30, Cobra, etc.). I like Callaway, but I'm not all #ZooCrew4Life. The way I look at it, is that Callaway gets first chance when I'm looking to upgrade a spot in my bag. My normal playing partner and fellow THP'er E1erate is the same way with TM.

Dax

Last edited:
I work once a week in the Golf Department at Dick's. Tonight, I had something happen that I found strange. I had a customer come in to hit and compare the M1 and the R15. He hit both about the same, although not extremely well. He also complained about the unique sound of the M1. I asked if he wanted the hit the Great Big Bertha while he was at it, he just responded, "No thanks, I'm a Taylormade guy..."

I'm all for brand loyalty (look at my signature), but I'm not so loyal that I wouldn't even demo other brands of clubs that aren't my normal brand. How many THP'er are "No thanks, I'm a Brand X guy/gal"?

Dax

I will demo anything to see if I like how it feels.

I loved my G30 from PING then when I demoed the XR Driver from Callaway, I was like WOW!

Did it twice and had to get one and I have never looked back.

Every industry has that guy. I'm not one of them. I try stuff out in any hobby and I buy what I like, fits me the best and/or I feel comfortable performing with. Price has to be right, too. With a growing family, I have to be very mindful of that. I will give up a certain level for the right price.

Nice post.

I feel your pain.

I will demo any club that will help lower my score.

I've hit all OEM's and a lot of smaller makers in 20 years...

I give certain OEMs first crack at the bag, but I play what I like regardless of the badge.

I've met plenty of people that are brand loyal and there's nothing wrong with that. Golf with the clubs that make you happy, use the phone that makes you happy, drive the car that makes you happy.

I work once a week in the Golf Department at Dick's. Tonight, I had something happen that I found strange. I had a customer come in to hit and compare the M1 and the R15. He hit both about the same, although not extremely well. He also complained about the unique sound of the M1. I asked if he wanted the hit the Great Big Bertha while he was at it, he just responded, "No thanks, I'm a Taylormade guy..."

I'm all for brand loyalty (look at my signature), but I'm not so loyal that I wouldn't even demo other brands of clubs that aren't my normal brand. How many THP'er are "No thanks, I'm a Brand X guy/gal"?

Dax

I also work as Dick's a couple of days a week and Insee this happen all of the time. It's pretty amazing how closed mind people can be

I also work as Dick's a couple of days a week and Insee this happen all of the time. It's pretty amazing how closed mind people can be

I went to demo the M1 at another DSG so I could get the free sleeve of Aeroburner Pro balls, and those balls are no where near as good as the Chrome Soft... Lol

Dax

I went to demo the M1 at another DSG so I could get the free sleeve of Aeroburner Pro balls, and those balls are no where near as good as the Chrome Soft... Lol

Dax

Not even close for me

I have a buddy (good player) that plays Ping. He try's other clubs from time to time but always finds his way back to Ping clubs.

I respect those that are brand loyal for what ever reason they are. Find something you like and feel good about and shoot away. Feel good, play good.

Even though my bag looks like it, I am not overly brand loyal.
I will play whatever clubs fit my game at the time I am shopping and in my budget....sort of.

Back