Non Matching Wedges

I've never really thought about it too much, but I do think I would prefer matching but not adverse to something different. For the longest time I had a set GW and then just two different higher lofted wedges but just got used to the feel of them. I think the weighting and consistency improved when I went totally matching though.

I prefer the look of matching wedges.

But, after playing matching wedges and unmatched wedges I have concluded that I need my wedges to be noticeably different from each other in some way from the address position.

Why? Because when playing matching wedges I have hit the wrong loft wedge so many times that I just need some help to protect myself from myself.

All wedges match, are the same length, and are the same brand with the same shaft as the irons.
Although, I’m thinking about trying 460 ESX in my next set of irons.

My PW and GW are from my set and the other 2 are Cleveland. I’ve had a mixture of Ping, Cally, and TaylorMade in there at various points. All I care about is what’s going to work best for me.

I've played multiple brands of wedges before and had no problem with it. It's all about finding what your comfortable with and works for you.

I’ve done it both ways, I prefer matching in my sand and lob, but, I’ve historically played mix and match a lot thanks to reviews so I’m pretty accustomed to it,

Currently mine match, but they never have in the past and it never bothered me. As long as the gapping was good and I liked what I was seeing - couldn't care less if they were the same style/brand.

My CDO would go berserk. Mine have to match.

My LW and SW don't match my GW and I'm ok with it. I would like to replace my GW at some point, but would probably look to a more forgiving option in that slot than I have in the SW and LW given the way I use each.

Total mental midget here, wedges have to match each other. Since I just came into 2 new Titleist wedges (awesome!) the only problem is now I have to buy the third to match :ROFLMAO:

I had cleveland wedges... an RTX4 and a CBX2. I was ok with that... but the RTX4 I couldn't hit so I now have a CBX2 and a zipcore. But they don't have to match. I mean my driver, 7W and irons are callaway and my 3W is mizuno. I'm not bothered by mismatched clubs.

I love (still) the copper T22s, but I find I seem (?) to play better - less bad with wedges that resemble (in color mostly) either the irons - of oddly enough the putter. So, I typically go either black or chrome. Visually, the transition is smooth. I may test that more once the move is complete and I have the coppers back in the bag to see how they blend. As to brand, they do not need to be same brand as irons or putter - but they do need to be same within the set. For me the set is usually going to be 2 clubs - I prefer (not mandatory) the gap wedge to be part of the iron set.

Woof - that was a lot.

I prefer them to match for feels, looks etc., but performance is king for me, so happy to play different ones if it worked out that way.

I have three different brand wedges in my bag and don’t see that it poses an issue. It does however allow me to have a different vendor to blame after I hit a bad shot.

I could play different wedges if I had to. For a long time my 60* was a PM Grind and the 54 was a wedge from another OEM.

I would be ok with non-matching wedges since some see more use and wear out more quickly. I do game the same type, but 1 wedge is 2 models older (SM6 vs SM8)

I have played all different wedges and shafts and grips. The club goes certain yardages so I don't see why they have to match. I switched to set GW recently and quite honestly I am thinking of going specialty again which would be different from the 2 Edels I have now.

So for the past six or seven years, I’ve had the same brand of wedge, but the style or year has been different. I’ve never had three exact matching (year and brand) wedges

I’m sure I could mix brands just fine but I don’t think I ever would.

Not really for me. Currently I have a set PW and AW, 54 Jaws Full Toe and 58 PM grind. Lost the 54 recently, so looking for a replacement in that spot.

I have always had the same set of wedges. I have had different models but always the same brand. Like some Vokey SM6 and SM7 or something like that.

PW matches my irons. 56* & 60* are twins and will get replaced with another set of twins when the time comes.

Used to be on the all matching bandwagon, but I’m more open to having non matching now given the versatility I like in the 58°/60°. Still would try to match the 54° to the 50° or to the 60 to keep from having 4 completely unique wedges

I have in the past always replaced my wedges at same time, same brand. Just my habit & preference plus no easy way up here to test multiple brand wedges so rely a lot on THP, etc. for users’ experiences.

Set Titleist T200 PW and GW with graphite shafts and MCC4 grips. SW is Cleveland RTX Zipcore steel and LW is also Cleveland; CBX Full Face steel. Both specialty wedges have tapered grips. Probably shouldn't but I thought it might help with feel.

My wedges currently match... but, my mind would have no problem in using different ones that do not match.

Back