Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Thread

I don’t think it was the thought, so much as the way the thought was approached, fwiw. But past is past, ya know? I love a good conversation.

It’s been a battle for me to describe, and I don’t at all mean that as a negative, it’s addicting, and it clearly seems to me that it works.

But it’s just not what I was expecting.
Would be nice if the past was... just the past.

I, too, have been pleasantly surprised at how well this putter has performed for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don’t think it was the thought, so much as the way the thought was approached, fwiw. But past is past, ya know? I love a good conversation.

It’s been a battle for me to describe, and I don’t at all mean that as a negative, it’s addicting, and it clearly seems to me that it works.

But it’s just not what I was expecting.

Oh good! I totally agree with you James, it’s hard to describe, and to see you’re having the same struggle describing it makes me chuckle a bit. For me the difference was noticeable, but it’s not something I can point to and say “this right here is the difference” it’s more subtle than that.

The results still speak for themselves, for me at least. Long putts just get closer to the hole, consistently. My second putt length is definitely averaging shorter than it was last year.

I agree with you guys. I've been having this conversation with my brother and he can tell a difference as well but can't put his finger in it. This putter just seems easier to swing on a more consistent basis.

Would be nice if the past was... just the past.

I, too, have been pleasantly surprised at how well this putter has performed for me.

Having been used to a heavier putter, how do you find yourself with the tempo on the take away? I’ve had to adjust with the exo initially but now I find I have a smoother takeaway and tempo compared to before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was starting to doubt my putting and switch to my Stroke Lab putter a bit until I played a different course yesterday and then realized that the greens at my home course are just really damn tough because of the slope and 11 STIMP. All my buddies that are members told me when I joined that I would struggle on the greens but they would make me a better putter over time. They were right, the course I played yesterday had less severe greens and my lag putting with the SL was automatic, I had about 10 par putts inside of a foot.

Today it’s back to my home course and the fear of 3 putting that comes with any side hill or down hill putt.:bashful:

Oh good! I totally agree with you James, it’s hard to describe, and to see you’re having the same struggle describing it makes me chuckle a bit. For me the difference was noticeable, but it’s not something I can point to and say “this right here is the difference” it’s more subtle than that.

The results still speak for themselves, for me at least. Long putts just get closer to the hole, consistently. My second putt length is definitely averaging shorter than it was last year.

Hahaha, thank goodness I’m not the only one.

I pride myself on being able to really describe feels and tech in tandem, but here, it’s got me a little stuck.

All I know is much like with the Stability shaft (not saying they’re the same, we know they’re now) it’s working, or it sure seems like it is.

Having been used to a heavier putter, how do you find yourself with the tempo on the take away? I’ve had to adjust with the exo initially but now I find I have a smoother takeaway and tempo compared to before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still have to remind myself I have a putter in my hands every stroke I make with it. Basically, I just told myself to trust it and eventually, this weight will be the new normal.

So far, so good. I said I'd give it 5-10 rounds to earn a spot, but after 29 puts yesterday (something I've only done one other time that I can recall) and 32 the first round with it, it might not take that long.

I still have to remind myself I have a putter in my hands every stroke I make with it. Basically, I just told myself to trust it and eventually, this weight will be the new normal.

So far, so good. I said I'd give it 5-10 rounds to earn a spot, but after 29 puts yesterday (something I've only done one other time that I can recall) and 32 the first round with it, it might not take that long.

That's what I'm concerned about. I don't have to think about it on lag putts but I tend to get quick on short putts and the extra weight helps. I made just about every 10 footer at Scheels until I switched to the SL. I eventually figured it out but the lighter feel is still making me question my decision. Do they use the same weights for every length? If so then they will all be a different feel/balance?

Last edited:
I don’t really understand some of the comments here. I have a V-Line and it feels just as heavy as a Marxman O-Works, not as heavy as a Bettinardi until you get in swing position, then it feels pretty similar.

That's what I'm concerned about. I don't have to think about it on lag putts but I tend to get quick on short putts and the extra weight helps. I made just about every 10 footer at Scheels until I switched to the SL. I eventually figured it out but the lighter feel is still making me question my decision. Do they use the same weights for every length? If so then they will all be a different feel/balance?
I can't answer those last two question. I can say that I have made quite a few of the "shorter" putts with my SL. I've had four 3 putts over 2 round, but I think theybe all been from long range and I left my lag putt >6' out. I've been pleasantly surprised with the performance.

I don’t really understand some of the comments here.

Which comments? Are you talking about me referring to it as light?

Hahaha, thank goodness I’m not the only one.

I pride myself on being able to really describe feels and tech in tandem, but here, it’s got me a little stuck.

All I know is much like with the Stability shaft (not saying they’re the same, we know they’re now) it’s working, or it sure seems like it is.

It a tough thing to describe for sure. I went with “right”. Which is t very helpful. I’m looking forward to your full review, hopefully you’ll give me words to steal.

Which comments? Are you talking about me referring to it as light?

Yes, a few people have said this. I’ve just gone into my dining room and tried 5 putters, inc a SL, and I just can’t see the issue at all.

Spent some time with an older non-SL putter this morning and I think for me the Stroke Lab seems to really smooth out my tempo...almost like I have a miniscule pause at the back of the takeaway. That and the SL putter just feels overall heavier to me by a wide margin.

Yes, a few people have said this. I’ve just gone into my dining room and tried 5 putters, inc a SL, and I just can’t see the issue at all.
I came from a putter with a 550g head, steel shaft, Superstroke grip, and 100g of weight in the butt.

It's all relative.

Spent some time with an older non-SL putter this morning and I think for me the Stroke Lab seems to really smooth out my tempo...almost like I have a miniscule pause at the back of the takeaway. That and the SL putter just feels overall heavier to me by a wide margin.
See, @Joelsim. It's all relative.

I came from a putter with a 550g head, steel shaft, Superstroke grip, and 100g of weight in the butt.

It's all relative.

Ah. 550. That’s heavier than the full SL inc shaft and grip.

I can't wait for mine to get here but I also still wonder if I picked the right 1. I really like the way the DW Flow feels but wanted a bit more forgiveness on lag putts.

Ah. 550. That’s heavier than the full SL inc shaft and grip.
She was lovingly dubbed "The Sledgehammer".

I've listened to about 20 minutes thus far. He made me really curious to know what works for Mickelson. The grip change sounds simple as there's a lot of grips in that 65-75 gram range.

Last edited:
It is hard to deny Stroke Lab tech is off to a great start. Anyone want to speculate on how this might evolve?

I think the next move might be taking more weight out of the middle? Perhaps.

I could also see some various weight options coming out. According to the Interview GU just put out with Sean Toulon, the SL blade putter mold hits the 360-365g head with 105g grip end. The head weight might go higher with mallets but that "target" range info was what I was looking for, and explains why Toulon design went to the 20g weight plate defaulted. I could see some fitting or options here on the overall rebalance.

What I'd like to see is a more traditional shaft look. The black graphite to steel contrast isn't a deal breaker, just not a preference. I'd like to see an all graphite version with the weight variables designed into it.

What do you predict or would like to see?

I presume you have muscles like Koepke.
You'd be wrong. I loved that putter, but it ain't like I was swinging a wedge.

Back