Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Thread

Anyone know what insert Xander plays in his Tuttle? It’s definitely not the white hot microhinge. Looks to be a standard white hot insert.

Anyone know what insert Xander plays in his Tuttle? It’s definitely not the white hot microhinge. Looks to be a standard white hot insert.

Looks like it. Maybe a tour only version. Surprised it not the black (firmer) version

0c45b1edd65acf1a9b28c71faeda19a5.jpg

First round with the 7 today. I should’ve bought one of these a long time ago. Even with the pistol grip my stroke was much more consistent and my distance control was really good. Is it bad that now I really want to track down an EXO 2 Ball and a BoP? :LOL:

First round with the 7 today. I should’ve bought one of these a long time ago. Even with the pistol grip my stroke was much more consistent and my distance control was really good. Is it bad that now I really want to track down an EXO 2 Ball and a BoP? :LOL:

It is quite normal. I got the tuttle, then the Exo 7 mini and have a BOP coming. I also have a garage palm beach, but THP/Odyssey covered the tab on that bad boy

Obviously my marxman is too long for my daughter, but she used it a couple times yesterday during our around and I was amazed at how well the alignment and insert worked for her, gonna have to try and find the smallest stroke lab available for her to use next season!

CPO's Black Friday sale sucked me in; picked up a Marxman and a Seven. Just for something different than I'm used to, I also went with the oversize grip on both.

I took the Marxman out yesterday. Knowing the claims about the microhinges, the natural skeptic in me was still surprised at how quickly the ball was rolling smoothly off the face. The alignment aid is what drew me to this one. It works great in tandem with the line I draw on the ball. This is by far the biggest putter head I've ever used; it will take some getting used to.

I haven't had the Seven out yet on real grass, but I was holing 6-footers on my cheapo mat like nobody's business. It stimps at about a 3, though, so I'm sure I'll blow some by the hole soon.

Last edited:
I am really liking the stroke lab shaft in my new putter. Couldn't be happier.

CPO BOGO sucked me in too. I got a face balanced DW for myself and a One for my dad for Christmas.

I enjoyed indoor short putting with the DW last night. Very promising based on that quick initial practice with it.

Hey folks - Looking for some help here.

I test drove the stroke lab 7 and liked both the FB and toe hang (I've been gaming a white hot RX #9 for some time now). I'm thinking I'll stick with the toe hang since that's what I'm used to with the 9. I really like the looks of the SL exo mini 7 and I'm understanding the insert in the exo would be more similar to the 9 I've been gaming but unfortunately up here in Nova Scotia, Canada I can't find an exo mini to test out. What are the big differences between the models? It's a bit heavier in the head so should I be leaning more towards FB than toe hang, or is the toe hang feel similar to the SL 7? My stroke is fairly SBST but I've always liked the look and feel of toe hang (used a ping zing redwood before the odyssey.)

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

I don't think you'll find one shorter than 33" unless it's a custom job.

Obviously my marxman is too long for my daughter, but she used it a couple times yesterday during our around and I was amazed at how well the alignment and insert worked for her, gonna have to try and find the smallest stroke lab available for her to use next season!

I test drove the stroke lab 7 and liked both the FB and toe hang (I've been gaming a white hot RX #9 for some time now). I'm thinking I'll stick with the toe hang since that's what I'm used to with the 9. I really like the looks of the SL exo mini 7 and I'm understanding the insert in the exo would be more similar to the 9 I've been gaming but unfortunately up here in Nova Scotia, Canada I can't find an exo mini to test out. What are the big differences between the models? It's a bit heavier in the head so should I be leaning more towards FB than toe hang, or is the toe hang feel similar to the SL 7? My stroke is fairly SBST but I've always liked the look and feel of toe hang (used a ping zing redwood before the odyssey.)

A couple of things to unpack for you and hopefully it helps your decision making.

1. The RX 9 has a softer insert and will feel very differently from the Exo which has the Microhinge insert which will feel firmer.

2, The 9 has a lot of toe hang (45* iirc) and is designed for putting strokes with more of an arc. The 7 mini will have more MOI than the #9 and if you go with the S neck it will provide about 25* of toe hang. Still providing the ability to help those with an arc close the face at impact, but not as much as the 9.

IMO If you like a toe hang type of putter and are looking to get more forgiveness (MOI) then the 7 or 7mini models with the S neck might be what you are looking for. Good Luck,

Which model is quite a bit heavier? I think the Exo 7mini and the regular 7 have pretty similar head weights. Odyssey website lists the Exo 7mini at 360g and the stroke lab 7 at 365g so pretty negligible between those 2 models. As far as the toe hang I think Mike G answered better than I could.

The love affair with my EXO SL #7 continues. Lagged a 50 footer to tap in for par on Sunday.

A couple of things to unpack for you and hopefully it helps your decision making.

1. The RX 9 has a softer insert and will feel very differently from the Exo which has the Microhinge insert which will feel firmer.

2, The 9 has a lot of toe hang (45* iirc) and is designed for putting strokes with more of an arc. The 7 mini will have more MOI than the #9 and if you go with the S neck it will provide about 25* of toe hang. Still providing the ability to help those with an arc close the face at impact, but not as much as the 9.

IMO If you like a toe hang type of putter and are looking to get more forgiveness (MOI) then the 7 or 7mini models with the S neck might be what you are looking for. Good Luck,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you know the numbers on the toe hang version? I actually putt quite well overall with the 9, just find it's a bit light and really like the look of the 7. Sometimes I get a bit shaky on distance control in tournaments.

My miss if anything is left which makes sense if the 9 is supposed to be a more aggressive toe hang. I'm not a big numbers guy when choosing my putters, if I like the look and feel when I try it out I go for it. Are you recommending the s-neck over the toe hang because the toe hang is even more aggressive on the exo mini?

Which model is quite a bit heavier? I think the Exo 7mini and the regular 7 have pretty similar head weights. Odyssey website lists the Exo 7mini at 360g and the stroke lab 7 at 365g so pretty negligible between those 2 models. As far as the toe hang I think Mike G answered better than I could.

Ah that's good news - my pro buddy was saying the exo line is heavier - might be referring to the 7 not the mini? IDK, thanks for that.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you know the numbers on the toe hang version? I actually putt quite well overall with the 9, just find it's a bit light and really like the look of the 7. Sometimes I get a bit shaky on distance control in tournaments.

My miss if anything is left which makes sense if the 9 is supposed to be a more aggressive toe hang. I'm not a big numbers guy when choosing my putters, if I like the look and feel when I try it out I go for it. Are you recommending the s-neck over the toe hang because the toe hang is even more aggressive on the exo mini?

Traditionally your blade type of putter will offer the most toe hang or "flow" throw impact. What Odyssey has done with the "S-Neck" is allow some toe hang to be introduced into their higher MOI putters like the 7, Vline, Marxman or any other mallet type putters.

My suggestion is to try and get fit for a putter. I know it sounds cliche, but from what you've described you need to answer a few more questions than just "how much toe hang" or "what model putters offer toe hang". I think seeing your stroke and how much arc you putt with will help you eliminate a lot of variables and at the very least nail down what type of putter you should be using.

Ah that's good news - my pro buddy was saying the exo line is heavier - might be referring to the 7 not the mini? IDK, thanks for that.
Could mean the exo stroke lab vs original exo from last year. The stroke lab shafts are paired with heavier heads by design, which is around 360 compared to 350 from last year.

Could mean the exo stroke lab vs original exo from last year. The stroke lab shafts are paired with heavier heads by design, which is around 360 compared to 350 from last year.

this makes total sense.

Traditionally your blade type of putter will offer the most toe hang or "flow" throw impact. What Odyssey has done with the "S-Neck" is allow some toe hang to be introduced into their higher MOI putters like the 7, Vline, Marxman or any other mallet type putters.

My suggestion is to try and get fit for a putter. I know it sounds cliche, but from what you've described you need to answer a few more questions than just "how much toe hang" or "what model putters offer toe hang". I think seeing your stroke and how much arc you putt with will help you eliminate a lot of variables and at the very least nail down what type of putter you should be using.

That's probably a good call. The fitting guy at my local golf shop said I should be using the S neck based on my stroke but I proceeded to sink everything with the toe hang model of the 7 so he was like well whatever works I guess lol.

I think you've answered my question though. I just didn't want to move into something that promotes even more of an arc than my #9 since my miss is left. Sounds like the feel should be similar between the 7 and the exo 7 mini with toe hang in terms of putting arc if I'm not mistaken and if that's the case, I'll probably go with the toe hang model simply because it suits my eye a bit better.

Odyssey recently posted a photo about their dominance on the Korn Ferry tour, and the player shown has a peculiar looking #7 stroke lab in his hand...almost #10 and BOP type finish I would say....hmmm..........:unsure:

I think I might like what I see released in 2020 from Odyssey.

Odyssey recently posted a photo about their dominance on the Korn Ferry tour, and the player shown has a peculiar looking #7 stroke lab in his hand...almost #10 and BOP type finish I would say....hmmm..........:unsure:

I think I might like what I see released in 2020 from Odyssey.

Many more SL Black models to come in 2020.

That's probably a good call. The fitting guy at my local golf shop said I should be using the S neck based on my stroke but I proceeded to sink everything with the toe hang model of the 7 so he was like well whatever works I guess lol.

I think you've answered my question though. I just didn't want to move into something that promotes even more of an arc than my #9 since my miss is left. Sounds like the feel should be similar between the 7 and the exo 7 mini with toe hang in terms of putting arc if I'm not mistaken and if that's the case, I'll probably go with the toe hang model simply because it suits my eye a bit better.

Help me out everyone. Am I reading this exchange wrong, or is there a persistent misunderstanding taking place??

As far as I'm aware the 7 is FACE BALANCED. The 7 S IS the 'toe hang' putter. The 7 is NOT.

The 7 S wouldn't promote any more arc than the 9. I don't think. I'm sure someone knows or will take the time to look up the specs, but I thought the 9 is 60some degrees of toe hang and the 7 S was like half that. 35 maybe? Definitely less. I'm not sold on the idea of it 'promoting' more arc in your stroke anyway. I don't have all that much arc, and I like a putter with a lot of toe hang.

... which is why I tracked down this thread. Just wanted to comment on my recent Stroke Lab experience. I was coming from an O-Works #2. Worked well for me, hated the look of it. Figured a stroke lab 9 or 3 might better work for me. They're both just over 60* toe hang like I like. 3 obviously shaped almost the same as the o-works 2, and 9, well, everyone says you need a mallet, MOI, MOI!, blah blah, so I thought I'd try a mid mallet. lol Putted with it for a short stretch before the 3 arrived. Felt alright. Definitely more springy off the face though, and I didn't love the vibration feedback. Hoped it was a grip thing, coming from a Super Stroke 2.0, to the PURE grip that came on the 9. Grip can be solved easy enough. Was weird looking down on a more compact head too, but otherwise performed fine for me. Distance/speed control was a little off, but change will do that.

Then the 3 came. This one new with a Stroke Lab pistol grip. Felt like coming home. Less feedback from the grip makes it feel a little stiffer on a strike (still softer than the o-works though), shape and weight look and work well with my eye and stroke, and accuracy and speed control were spot on from the go. Might keep the 9 to play around with or have for someone to play with, but after having to replace the custom I had since I was 15 this year, nothing has felt that good in my hands. I'm a scorer through meticulous habit and familiarity, so I can't wait to start playing this putter more and gaining experience with it. If I felt it good to change things like that mid-season, I'd be pissed I didn't buy it sooner! I'm rarely this excited about a purchase.

Back