PODCAST Off Course: Episode 4: Flipping Gear

Excellent! I'll have to tune in when I'm sitting down for some paperwork later today!

...and that is the sad part because from a company perspective I love it. Unique items in limited quantities create a great feeling for a golf who can get their hands on it.

It's the human element, where people buy it purely to double the cost and profit (while doing nothing to earn it) that grosses me out. Not just from an overall perspective, but from a personal perspective. I've got friends who have done it and have had to deal with me talking negatively about it. Just who I am, how I am. It grosses me out.

Well there goes that limited edition Off Course T-Shirt that I was going to order only 3 of and then flip mine.

Listening now.
I think at its core flipping is gross. But it isn't going anywhere and it's easy to get sucked in. You pay $400 for a $100 item that you really want, and then next thing you know you're flipping items you don't even want - to pay ridiculous markups for the items you do want.

Listening now.
I think at its core flipping is gross. But it isn't going anywhere and it's easy to get sucked in. You pay $400 for a $100 item that you really want, and then next thing you know you're flipping items you don't even want - to pay ridiculous markups for the items you do want.
It seems like a helpless feeling. When I first stepped away from Scotty, it was because I felt some of the putters and covers were completely out of reach for someone with the disposable income I had at the time.... and that was nearly 10 years ago when things were pedestrian compared to what they are now.

Getting sucked in is my biggest concern. Maybe that's why I'm so intrigued by all the fresh faces in the boutique game right now. They haven't created the kind of following that doubles/triples/quadruples creativity yet.

Was able to finally sit down and listen tonight. Great job, a variety of topics and each had their own bit. DJ has one thing on his mind and its not golf, it would be Paulina.. lol
Flipping is just a vicious cycle, in a previous life I had a hobby where flipping was big, you set $500 aside, buy a few items on the cheap and start, the issue I find is every 4th or 5th time your hand gets caught in the cookie jar. Your either stuck with an item you can’t sell, you either have a product that you now have to take a lose on, I mean it just keeps going. Really good deals are hard to come by in order to make a few bucks on. It ends up literally being a second job. And all of this is in regards to finding items in the wild, not beating a bot at an online sale.

Will listen to this on my drive home from Tulsa Sunday. Can’t wait to hear @Canadan s take on flippers 😈

DJ is the Jay Cutler of golf.

A person I hired to do it.
You got your money's worth there. It's really good! Unless it cost a LOT in which case you got ripped off!!

Really though, it's a good intro and sounds great!

It seems like a helpless feeling. When I first stepped away from Scotty, it was because I felt some of the putters and covers were completely out of reach for someone with the disposable income I had at the time.... and that was nearly 10 years ago when things were pedestrian compared to what they are now.

Getting sucked in is my biggest concern. Maybe that's why I'm so intrigued by all the fresh faces in the boutique game right now. They haven't created the kind of following that doubles/triples/quadruples creativity yet.
When you mention boutique not pulling in are you referencing putters?

What do you mean?
You said "Maybe that's why I'm so intrigued by all the fresh faces in the boutique game right now. They haven't created the kind of following that doubles/triples/quadruples creativity yet. "

The boutique you were referring to... was it putters? There are some small putter makers that do great work and have developed a following... and do work similar to Scotty Cameron but don't command his prices (if you can call the $450 price I see on these sites not Scotty Cameron prices)

That's what I took it to mean... unless you meant boutique in a larger sense of small market... like apparrel or head covers, or accessories...

You said "Maybe that's why I'm so intrigued by all the fresh faces in the boutique game right now. They haven't created the kind of following that doubles/triples/quadruples creativity yet. "

The boutique you were referring to... was it putters? There are some small putter makers that do great work and have developed a following... and do work similar to Scotty Cameron but don't command his prices (if you can call the $450 price I see on these sites not Scotty Cameron prices)

That's what I took it to mean... unless you meant boutique in a larger sense of small market... like apparrel or head covers, or accessories...
Yeah I'd lean pretty hard on putter makers for that, but I think that term is becoming pretty loose. Hell, Tyson Lamb might be one of the bigger names in "boutique putters" right now and he barely makes any of them - All just trinkets and nonsense because the profit is strong.

I absolutely love what social spaces like instagram has produced. Some genuinely creative and interesting people producing products at a price that isn't flipped for double right out of the gate, not to mention built to spec. It's a lot of fun to follow along with.

Yeah I'd lean pretty hard on putter makers for that, but I think that term is becoming pretty loose. Hell, Tyson Lamb might be one of the bigger names in "boutique putters" right now and he barely makes any of them - All just trinkets and nonsense because the profit is strong.

I absolutely love what social spaces like instagram has produced. Some genuinely creative and interesting people producing products at a price that isn't flipped for double right out of the gate, not to mention built to spec. It's a lot of fun to follow along with.
There are a lot of nice looking and inventive makers out there... putter necks galore so to speak. Some I'd never heard of like the goose neck style.

@HipCheck When is the Wrestling Mount Rushmore discussion going to happen on the podcast?

Listened to the podcast. It was a good show... and I agree with @Canadan about golf gear flippers. It makes it difficult for the people that want to legitimately get the equipment to use and not keep it as a collector's item... but it's the nature of the beast and nothing can be done about it

Listened to the podcast. It was a good show... and I agree with @Canadan about golf gear flippers. It makes it difficult for the people that want to legitimately get the equipment to use and not keep it as a collector's item... but it's the nature of the beast and nothing can be done about it
I like that some companies are trying to block the bots with some form of extra entry, but I think you're right... it's here to stay for the most part.

I like that some companies are trying to block the bots with some form of extra entry, but I think you're right... it's here to stay for the most part.

I get to post this GIF again
5FDBE79D-8EF9-4663-A1C6-3B2691B267E5.gif

Back