PODCAST Off Course: Episode 4: Flipping Gear

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show including a Vijay “stealing” money and more. Hosted by Dan Edwards and Rob Miller, each Friday the hosts give you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before.

Episode 4 is here and Dan and Rob discuss the following topics:

State of the Game
Skins Game with DJ, Rory, Rickie and Wolff
Flipping in Golf (not swing)
Vijay Stealing Korn Ferry Money
And a Ton More…

As with all podcasts on the THP Radio Network you can catch the episodes a number of ways. Right here on the website, on our Soundcloud channel, and of course our THP Golf Mobile App. You can also subscribe at iTunes and Google Play so you never miss an episode.

Listen at link below.

Really liked this episode.
Expected @Canadan to go nuts on flippers, but maintained his calm :D

Another outstanding and very entertaining episode! Thanks guys!

Ooo, I hope gaming is part of the flipping topic.

Who does the intro for THP Radio? sooo good!

So much @Canadan haha

Good convo again guys, really disappointed Dan didn't go off more on flippers. I completely agree about the raised up thing. I'd still take the photo but it would have an asterisk next to it. The pool noodle as strange as it may be is the way to go or shallow cups.

Enjoyed it.

VJ has zero business playing a korn ferry event...

BRAVO!!!

get it...flippers!

So much @Canadan haha

Good convo again guys, really disappointed Dan didn't go off more on flippers. I completely agree about the raised up thing. I'd still take the photo but it would have an asterisk next to it. The pool noodle as strange as it may be is the way to go or shallow cups.
Want me to do more?

related: I'm tired

Dan inspired me to start flipping.

I think we need a heart monitor on @Canadan during some of these segments. Maybe a blood pressure cuff? Can the manufacturers do anything to combat these predatory resellers? Produce more? Register LE’s? Or is it only the consumer who gets fleeced?

I think we need a heart monitor on @Canadan during some of these segments. Maybe a blood pressure cuff? Can the manufacturers do anything to combat these predatory resellers? Produce more? Register LE’s? Or is it only the consumer who gets fleeced?
I think there are some very easy ways to combat things, but I doubt there is a real reason for a company to alter the conditions.

1- lack of availability is clearly a benefit to the prestige and/or intrigue of a limited item
2- Money is money, where it comes from is irrelevant when things are sold out

The hateful reality of wanting to participate in 'collections' and it doesn't really have a reasonable solution outside of basic human decency.... and that's where I struggle the most, because a basic release from someone shouldn't create profit for fast clicks. Flipping a more 'common' limited item for double the price is lame. I firmly believe in the idea that money should be EARNED, and flippers definitely are not 'earning' their money.

I think there are some very easy ways to combat things, but I doubt there is a real reason for a company to alter the conditions.

1- lack of availability is clearly a benefit to the prestige and/or intrigue of a limited item
2- Money is money, where it comes from is irrelevant when things are sold out

The hateful reality of wanting to participate in 'collections' and it doesn't really have a reasonable solution outside of basic human decency.... and that's where I struggle the most, because a basic release from someone shouldn't create profit for fast clicks. Flipping a more 'common' limited item for double the price is lame. I firmly believe in the idea that money should be EARNED, and flippers definitely are not 'earning' their money.
Sweat equity! The only place it doesn’t work is the golf course!

Don't you think limited by nature encourages this "flipping" behavior?

Don't you think limited by nature encourages this "flipping" behavior?
Absolutely! I’ve never really been a limited release buyer, but I suppose it’s all about the brand’s priority. There certainly seems to be inherent brand value when your LE goods sell for a huge premium on the secondary market.

But the company that is creating it isn't gaining profit from it, so what do they get? Recognition?
Guaranteed lack of carrying inventory and the ability to raise prices anytime they want.

Guaranteed lack of carrying inventory and the ability to raise prices anytime they want.
Ok those are both good things for a company.

But the company that is creating it isn't gaining profit from it, so what do they get? Recognition?
they get the hype surrounding their product and the idea that people feel privileged to get a piece of it.

...and the cycle continues

...and that is the sad part because from a company perspective I love it. Unique items in limited quantities create a great feeling for a golf who can get their hands on it.

It's the human element, where people buy it purely to double the cost and profit (while doing nothing to earn it) that grosses me out. Not just from an overall perspective, but from a personal perspective. I've got friends who have done it and have had to deal with me talking negatively about it. Just who I am, how I am. It grosses me out.

They get the endless satisfaction that no matter the design they will guarantee sell out of it! production cost is low and inventory costs are minimal. profit is high!

they get the hype surrounding their product and the idea that people feel privileged to get a piece of it.

...and the cycle continues

HYPE TRAIN!

Back