Off the Green Putting

Depending on my lie, I would say 5-10 feet off the green.

Up to about 5 feet.

First fringe. Beyond that, I'm chipping with my 58*. I've practiced a lot this year with it and I'm holing one out every 2-3 rounds now so I feel pretty good with the wedge.

Honestly I'll only putt maybe 3 feet off the putting green. A lot of our fringes can be on the shaggy side and I don't feel comfortable putting through them. I'll usually go 7 or 8 iron. I should probably try going putter a little more often though.

If I think I can get the ball closer to the hole with my Putter than I could with my wedge, I will grab the putter.

The game is about Score not style points.

If the fringe is relatively smooth and uniform then I might putt from up to 2ft off the green. I say "might". I am a better judge of getting the ball close by chipping and landing the ball on the green than trying to judge how the fringe will affect the speed of the putt.

As I've gotten more comfortable with the putter this year, I've been putting more from off the green. A lot of the courses around here won't have a ton of tightly mowed areas around the green though, so often you don't have the choice. But if I think I've got a good shot at being able to control speed (not hit a patch of thick stuff, poorly maintained dirt spots, etc.) I'll take the putter out. I can thank OITW for getting me to do that more.

I had a buddy in high school who was having a dreadful day on the links, just couldn't hit anything on line. On our final hole, I remember him hitting a ball into the woods off the tee, punching out to 100 or so yards, then pulling putter out and blasting it up to the green. He under up just short, grabbed putter again, and promptly putted it over the green. This guy will pull putter from anywhere.

I'll putt from a few feet off, but if the grass looks any bit lumpy or not perfect, I pitch or chip. I've never been hugely confident in my putter, so I prefer having other clubs in my hand.

I'll putt quite a bit from the fringe or fairway...up to about 15-20 feet

I'd rather chip so unless it's a gnarly downhiller or something strange...I'll chip anything that's at least an inch off the green and 5 feet long.

Probably not more than about 15 feet off the green, chipping has been something I have worked on a lot lately and have more confidence in it.

10-15 yards for me. Outside of that range, it gets a bit difficult to judge and I don't think I get the ball closer (on average) vs. chipping/pitching.

it's rare that I will putt from off the green. it almost always has to be on the fringe for me to consider pulling the putter.

No more that 2ft for me. Im chipping it almost every time

Probably only a couple of yards. I'm perfectly happy to putt with a hybrid, though, out to about 10 yards.

I'd rather chip so unless it's a gnarly downhiller or something strange...I'll chip anything that's at least an inch off the green and 5 feet long.

I gotta admit, this drives me nuts, but you're honestly better with a wedge in your hand than almost any other club. Ugh - that infuriates me! :angry::D

Maybe 5 yards, especially if I'm shortsided. If I have more room on the green, I have wedge options or can use an 8i/9i for a bump and run. I have no problem pulling out a hybrid or 3W if I'm off the green and against the collar.

About a yd is the max for me for a putter. Lately I have been doing this more than in the past with good results.

10-12 ft off of the green. If it's flat and I'm 40ft off the green, I'll putt with a 7 iron and let it dribbble to the hole.
I started this last summer and it saves me 4-8 strokes per round.
It's an ugly shot. Better for me to be ugly and face a 2 ft putt, than be cool and stop a wedge on edge of green and be looking at 20 ft putt.

I am so confident with my chipping that I will chip/pitch it even if I'm just a few inches off the green, even though this goes against much of what I've been taught by various instructors :/

This obviously depends on what the grass is looking like but given low enough grass and ground that looks steady i'll go back around 10 yards.

So many factors in play for this decision, but I'll generally chip/pitch unless it's a really tight lie, it's a downhill shot of just a few yards, or I'm just off the green and it's essentially a lag putt. In general, a yard or two off the green is as far as I'll go with a putt from off the green.

Just a couple of feet for me, and the grass/fringe has to be perfect. I have too much trouble predicting the roll speed from off the green so I prefer to use my putter on the putting surface.

I'm just not a good 'Texas Wedge' player...

I never use the putter unless I'm on the green. If I'm just off the green I will break out either my 7i or a chipper

Back