Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people that say Money does not matter in baseball though need to look at the records year and year out of the averages of win per dollar spent. For every twins there is a Yankees, RedSox, etc that win each and every year

The people that say Money does not matter in baseball though need to look at the records year and year out of the averages of win per dollar spent. For every twins there is a Yankees, RedSox, etc that win each and every year

I heard something great on the radio a couple of weeks ago about the Twins being constantly refereed to as a small market team. They are home to 19 of the Fortune 500 companies and are the 15th largest metropolitan area in the States. I think they are a victim of a cheap owner. I was kind of surprised.

I heard something great on the radio a couple of weeks ago about the Twins being constantly refereed to as a small market team. They are home to 19 of the Fortune 500 companies and are the 15th largest metropolitan area in the States. I think they are a victim of a cheap owner. I was kind of surprised.

That is true. However Tampa is in the top 15 markets in the US. Cities like Pitt, miami, etc... are not small either. However it is not based on that really. It is based on ad revenue dollars per tv contract and the larger cities are getting almost 5 to 1 in dollars for ad revenue.

That is true. However Tampa is in the top 15 markets in the US. Cities like Pitt, miami, etc... are not small either. However it is not based on that really. It is based on ad revenue dollars per tv contract and the larger cities are getting almost 5 to 1 in dollars for ad revenue.

Pittsburgh is a weird one, they are a perfect example of a crappy owner ruining one of the great baseball cities. I still dont understand why baseball doesnt work in Florida.

It can work, but most people in FL are from the north or have family from the north. Roots do not run deep. We saw this with the Bucs in the early 80's when they were only a decade old and really bad. It only took a winner once to bring them in.

MLB is different. They put the stadium in St Pete, which is 30-45 minutes for most people, and the only reason they did that is because Tampa's own George Steinbrenner bought the land from under them that the new stadium was to go on. Instead he wanted a stadium with his name on it there.

What was the Trop originally built for?

The Rays when we were supposed to get expansion and the marlins got it instead. Before that in the late 80s we were supposed to get the White Sox too. I still have a Fl Whitesox T-shirt somewhere.

Then when the marlins got the team, they put the hockey team there while they were finishing building the Forum for them. Then we got the Rays.

You got to love Chan Ho. I missed this last night, I was watching the game in a restaurant and there was no volume.

[YOUTUBE]YuDZVJ8Hd8I&feature[/YOUTUBE]

I am pretty much indifferent on the Yankees. I don't really like them, but I don't really hate them either. Same for the Red Sox. The money these teams bring in is way more than anyone else, so they are able to spend more. Is that right? Doesn't really matter, there is nothing in the rules that says they can't do it. You can say what you want about the Yankees spending $100 million more than anyone else. The fact is, until the rules change and their is a cap, they are doing nothing wrong. It is MLB's fault, not the Yankees. Every other team in the league could give $20 million a year to 10 players. Can they afford to? No. Will they go bankrupt? Yes. But it is completely within the rules to do so.

I don't like the system as it is. My team has a limited amount they can spend and they usually don't waver from that. The owners, like any other business owner, are in it to make money. I would love to get a couple of high dollar free agents on the pitching staff or a bat or two around Pujols. It just isn't going to happen. We have to rely on the young guys who don't have the right yet to make a ton, and guys who overachieve.

I would love to have a system in place like the NFL where everyone has the ability to compete. It then turns into a personnel decision league, and coaching and managing league, because the talent per team would be pretty equal. I would like that. Baseball just doesn't have the overall revenue to do it like the NFL does. I really would like to see them figure it out. Until the rules change, it doesn't matter how much the Yankees spend. We can only hope that our teams put the right pieces in place to beat them.

The Yankees pitch slow when they are winning . . .

The Yankees pitch slow when they are losing . . .

These repeated visits to mound are ridiculous.

The Twins were the victim of a cheap owner. Carl Pohlad who has since died was one of the richest if not the richest owner in baseball. I believe his sons have taken control of the team. With the new stadium and the new owners my Twinkies may finally be primed to spend a little dough.

I must say I think I like the feeling of winning a championship as a Twins fan once in a great while than being pissed off every year that my team doesn't win one. The wins are much sweeter as a small market team than when expected every year.

Oh man, Utley just hammered that thing.

IIRC, last night Posada visited the mound 8 times . . . in one inning!!!!

Evil Empire strikes again.

Now it is time to see what the O's will do in the offseason to try and be competitive with the big spenders of the AL East.

Evil Empire strikes again.

Now it is time to see what the O's will do in the offseason to try and be competitive with the big spenders of the AL East.

Unfortunately the same as the Jays and Rays. Sit tight and hope their farm system develops so they get a small window only to lose those same players to big markets.

Lock the Thread!!! All is right with baseball once again!!!!

Oh man Craig, I keep forgetting your a Yankees fan.

I really didnt think they had the starting pitching this year but they pulled it off. I guess you have to respect that. Lets hope its another 9 years until there next one. :act-up:

Unfortunately the same as the Jays and Rays. Sit tight and hope their farm system develops so they get a small window only to lose those same players to big markets.

The Jays and Os have spent the money, they just didnt use it wisely.

The Jays and Os have spent the money, they just didnt use it wisely.

They have "bought" about 1-2 high ticket free agents total over the last 5 years. Hardly spending money with the big market teams of today.

They have "bought" about 1-2 high ticket free agents total over the last 5 years. Hardly spending money with the big market teams of today.

Well the Jays giving Wells and Rios big contracts didnt work and picking up Glauss didnt pan out. In their defense I would of given Wells the deal too, the guy has just been in a downward spiral.

The Os spending on their bullpen bit them in the ass. They spent top dollar on Baez. They do have something special with Jones and Markakis and Josh Bell will be the real deal. The key will be to lock these guys up.

Let the Yankees and Sox spend the money, the middle market teams will still be right there with them.

Its been busy this morning,

The Dodgers declined Garlands option.

The White Sox re signed Mark Kotsay.

The Royals traded Teahan to the White Sox.

The GM meetings start Monday.

Oh man Craig, I keep forgetting your a Yankees fan.

I really didnt think they had the starting pitching this year but they pulled it off. I guess you have to respect that. Lets hope its another 9 years until there next one. :act-up:

It's okay, you'll get 'em next year champ :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back