Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are East Coast fans more passionate? That's what those guys - I think they were Phillies just said.

Are East Coast fans more passionate? That's what those guys - I think they were Phillies just said.

When both teams in the Series are from the east coast, of course they are.

Give me a break, they kill people in the parking lot at Dodger stadium. Thats hardcore.

Give me a break, they kill people in the parking lot at Dodger stadium. Thats hardcore.

I told you - I heard Dodger fans have no souls. Sounds about right.

It's hard for me to be hard core - I'm a die hard Red Sox fan.......

Go Phils.....

That was a crazy homerun by A Rod.

I think tonight might be the night that pitching CC on short rest comes back and bites the Yankees in the butt.

Lame.

I hate the Yankees.

Phillies have been giving away games all Series long. Damon's play was heads up and just another sign of how stupid the Phils have been this Series. Lee wins tonight but Yanks close it out at home now. It's over Johnny!

Yeah I think youre right. Lee has been lights out so the Phils win tonight but that just postpones the celebration till it goes back to NY. I think Charlie has been out managed pretty bad this series. I dunno, I just keep thinking "Why is baseball still on in Nov????" Seriously its way late in the year, the weather is cold and rainy. Baseball should have been long over by now.

Kevin™;155107 said:
I dunno, I just keep thinking "Why is baseball still on in Nov????" Seriously its way late in the year, the weather is cold and rainy. Baseball should have been long over by now.

My thoughts exactly. I love MLB. Truly love it. But this seems like it has been the longest year in MLB history. It is time to shorten the season. It will never happen because of the owners, but November? Really?

pretty soon, someone will refer to Mr. October (Reggie) and a young child will say "Did he have a good 1st round in the playoffs or something?"

My thoughts exactly. I love MLB. Truly love it. But this seems like it has been the longest year in MLB history. It is time to shorten the season. It will never happen because of the owners, but November? Really?

pretty soon, someone will refer to Mr. October (Reggie) and a young child will say "Did he have a good 1st round in the playoffs or something?"

Agreed, but don't forget that the World Baseball Classic was this year which pushed the playoffs back a week or two hence the Nov games. I hate baseball in Nov too.

My thoughts exactly. Now Im not a huge baseball fan but Im a huge sports fan so I follow it. And I agree, way too long of a season. Look at how bad the weather has been for this series. Then all the games are so late I can barely stay up for them. The owners and so called "baseball purist" will never go for a shortened season but they need to do something. What next? Game 7 of the series Thanks Giving day?

I've been trying to figure out why some of you don't like the Yankees. Actually - really dislike them would be a better description. Is it because they win so often? Or do you not like the players? I don't follow baseball so I assume you know something I don't. Just curious.

I've been trying to figure out why some of you don't like the Yankees. Actually - really dislike them would be a better description. Is it because they win so often? Or do you not like the players? I don't follow baseball so I assume you know something I don't. Just curious.

Most either love or hate the Yankees. Here are the reasons for both.
They win (despite not in a long time)
They spend more money than any other team (by a lot)
They have an ego about them that is (we can buy the talent to win)
When it is not working, they simply buy the best players available.

If you are a fan of them, then these are great attributes to have. The problem really lies in the about 20 of the 32 teams in MLB that cannot afford to come close to the spending that they do. They have a couple of players on the team that make close to as much as entire payrolls of other teams.

They are called the evil empire for a reason.

Because they are the evil empire. They are in the largest market, which means they make the most money, which means they go out and buy whatever talent is out there and pay them ridiculous amounts of money, which means they always win.

Why doesn't baseball have a spending cap? (That's what's it's called - right?)

Also keep in mind Diane, that MLB is the only major team sport in the US left that allows these rules. Every other league has gone to a salary cap. In which every team is on a level playing field when it comes to money.

While quite a few teams spend a lot in MLB, nobody even comes close to the Yankees.

The reason they do not have one is because a select few owners voted against it.

Since the rules are slanted in the Yankee's favor, then it seems to me that these wins are meaningless.

Since the rules are slanted in the Yankee's favor, then it seems to me that these wins are meaningless.

And that is why so many people hate the Yankees.

Many would argue that they have not won in a while, because you still have to spend money wisely. The Marlins proved on 2 separate occasions that you can simply buy a world series

One more question - Do the teams with little money ever win?

Sure. The Rays went to the World Series last year and they have a very low payroll. The problem then comes in that in many cases, as soon as this happens two things also happen.

The top spending teams go and bye more talent (leaving the smaller market teams behind)
When the smaller market teams' best players become free agents, they go with the highest bidder (not always, but quite a bit)

Most either love or hate the Yankees. Here are the reasons for both.
They win (despite not in a long time)
They spend more money than any other team (by a lot)
They have an ego about them that is (we can buy the talent to win)
When it is not working, they simply buy the best players available.

These are good reasons but I dont agree with any of them. I hate the Yankees for 2 reasons.
1) I cant stand the "What have you done for me lately" fans. Im all for booing when your team is playing bad but they boo so much that it means nothing anymore.
2) I grew up a Dodger fan and it used to be a rivalry. Tommy always hated the Yankees and he made sure to always tell the fans how much he hated them.
One more question - Do the teams with little money ever win?

This is one of the first years in a while where all of the big money teams made it in. The best part about baseball is that once your in the playoffs anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back