Official Rant of the Day

why do some men get mad when you call them "sir". i am constantly getting , from the older guys, "don't call me sir, i work for a living". i never got this. i call you "sir" as a sign of respect.....fine MIKE
How dare you?! Just kidding, I’ve been there and I don’t get it. At least you didn’t go from Sir to Snowflake as that would likely elicit an unfavorable reaction.

why do some men get mad when you call them "sir". i am constantly getting , from the older guys, "don't call me sir, i work for a living". i never got this. i call you "sir" as a sign of respect.....fine MIKE

It's a sign of respect, but for me, it also creates a "us" vs "them" mentality. That someone is different (especially when I'm the only person that's said to). I dislike that greatly - in work, we are one team... not me and a team. So if we use the terminology (sir, ma'am) universally, I'm set.... but why single me out?

It's a sign of respect, but for me, it also creates a "us" vs "them" mentality. That someone is different (especially when I'm the only person that's said to). I dislike that greatly - in work, we are one team... not me and a team. So if we use the terminology (sir, ma'am) universally, I'm set.... but why single me out?
i am confused by your post....can you elaborate for me?

i am confused by your post....can you elaborate for me?

It feels like I'm being singled out with a sign of respect by my teammates that don't use that for/with each other. So it feels that I'm different ... set apart. It's the best way to describe it (and this is just me, I'm not speaking for anyone else). In a work environment where team work and team activity is critical (and historically the more experienced "older" people are in charge), it feels like I'm being positioned separately (maybe even "above") others in the team. It feels wrong and really messes with our team dynamic of a flat org where anyone can challenge or raise things.

If other teammates are consciously or subconsciously elevating or separating me, it makes it harder for people to challenge my opinions or provide critical feedback to me on my work. Not sure if that makes sense now that I'm re-reading it, but it makes sense in my twisted around mind! :ROFLMAO:

I need more time to play golf. Silly work getting in the way.

It feels like I'm being singled out with a sign of respect by my teammates that don't use that for/with each other. So it feels that I'm different ... set apart. It's the best way to describe it (and this is just me, I'm not speaking for anyone else). In a work environment where team work and team activity is critical (and historically the more experienced "older" people are in charge), it feels like I'm being positioned separately (maybe even "above") others in the team. It feels wrong and really messes with our team dynamic of a flat org where anyone can challenge or raise things.

If other teammates are consciously or subconsciously elevating or separating me, it makes it harder for people to challenge my opinions or provide critical feedback to me on my work. Not sure if that makes sense now that I'm re-reading it, but it makes sense in my twisted around mind! :ROFLMAO:
i get what you are saying. i basically say it to everyone that walks in the door. younger older doesn't matter....BUT...only the older guys seem to have a problem with it.

have you ever said "don't call me sir, i work for a living"?

i get what you are saying. i basically say it to everyone that walks in the door. younger older doesn't matter....BUT...only the older guys seem to have a problem with it.

I worked with a guy years ago that never liked it, he’d always reply “Sir’s my Dad, I’m ......”. Personally I probably get called Sir but it goes in one ear and out the other, I’m not someone who pays attention to meaningless banter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The phrase is rooted in the military. Drill Sergeants and other NCOs did not like being called "Sir" as that was for officers.

The phrase is rooted in the military. Drill Sergeants and other NCOs did not like being called "Sir" as that was for officers.
i have heard that before. i have several family members in the military and they don't get it or use that phrase. maybe i just bring out the fools...lol

No, lol, that was more of a military thing as @MagicSpell pointed out.... I have however, made a game of it after explaining why I don't want to be called that. Every time someone says it, they owe me a beer during team happy hours.

Another sign of the apocalypse, this from Plastics Today:

Johnnie Walker paper bottle
Image: Diageo

Paper Bottle Coming Soon to a Liquor Store Near You
Johnnie Walker Scotch Whisky will be available in a paper-based bottle in early 2021. The bottle will be “100% plastic free” and made “entirely from sustainably sourced wood,” according to Diageo, the multinational beverage alcohol company that owns the Johnnie Walker brand.

Never mind that even a significant number of environmentalists agree that plastics offer net benefits in packaging. (What happened to many plastic bag bans during the height of the pandemic? They were suspended, that's what, because the benefits outweighed the drawbacks.)

If environmentalists really want to advance civilization, they can perfect a pretzel-like can for beer.

we need an angry quick access emoji / reaction ... so much anger on this thursday

Another sign of the apocalypse, this from Plastics Today:

Never mind that even a significant number of environmentalists agree that plastics offer net benefits in packaging. (What happened to many plastic bag bans during the height of the pandemic? They were suspended, that's what, because the benefits outweighed the drawbacks.)

If environmentalists really want to advance civilization, they can perfect a pretzel-like can for beer.

I don't know what's worse here. The fact that they are going to package perfectly good Scotch in a paper bottle or the fact that there is a publication "Plastics Today" :LOL::LOL:

I don't know what's worse here. The fact that they are going to package perfectly good Scotch in a paper bottle or the fact that there is a publication "Plastics Today" :LOL::LOL:
I may have briefly subscribed to that publication for business purposes... so my vote goes to paper bottle! 😆

It's possible my world view may have been influenced by The Graduate airing on network television when I was about thirteen . . .

Plastics.jpg

. . . but plastics have done more to improve the quality of life, including lives they have saved, than the average person will ever realize.

Big school board vote last night that I disagreed with, but that is not my rant. Last night regarding the school board's vote , people made comments on FB, I replied, they said that I was wrong and I responded with facts that showed I was correct. I woke up today and some people have deleted their comments and I look like a crazy person responding to ghosts.

Big school board vote last night that I disagreed with, but that is not my rant. Last night regarding the school board's vote , people made comments on FB, I replied, they said that I was wrong and I responded with facts that showed I was correct. I woke up today and some people have deleted their comments and I look like a crazy person responding to ghosts.
The last thing you should worry about in this world is what people think about you, ESPECIALLY ON FACEBOOK!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

There are some of us that think that way about you even without FB... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The last thing you should worry about in this world is what people think about you, ESPECIALLY ON FACEBOOK!

I don’t care what others think about me. But when I logged in today, it says I replied to my own comment like 4 different times. It just looks mental when I am answering questions that are no longer there. EDC1CD52-DBC8-473B-8CE6-42A697D13421.jpeg

I don’t care what others think about me. But when I logged in today, it says I replied to my own comment like 4 different times. It just looks mental when I am answering questions that are no longer there. View attachment 8956560
Could make for some interesting parent/teacher conferences.

Booked a 10am tee time today for two people.
"We can get you out at 9 or 10, can we pair you with another twosome?"
Sure, I will take 10 am.

Show up to a pretty much empty course. "You can just go out when you want, the other pair are at breakfast."

We played 18 in 2:45 on a tough course.

Why the heck did you pair us with no other groups on the book?

Masks for kiddos school all day long per governor. Going to be a disaster.
Your kids get to go to school?? o_O

I'd wrap my kids in plastic wrap if I could kick them out of the house for school.

I keep backing out of tee times because I work way too much. I had about 3 weeks of a normal schedule after Covid and Riots, and before this storm. AT least I had a job during all of that though.

Also, I almost quit golf today because wow I've never been this bad.

Our city sends out a full color magazine, the likes of which Oprah is even envious. 52 pages this particular issue. I think its quarterly. They send it to everyone whether you asked for it or not. City Population: 27,210. Now, when I was in I.T., color was around .79/pg if I recall.

Inside said city magazine?
We've signed the city up for a solar field on top of city hall. In 15 years, we the residents own it. :rolleyes: I think lifespan in ideal conditions is 20+?? Have fun recycling.

We also now have electric charging stations outside the mega mall that is city hall and the newly expanded waterpark, which has since been shut down with Covid and other fecal outbreaks. Free charging for anyone for two hours, and $2/hr thereafter. No telling if residents will get to use it. ;)
How about not cutting down 6 forests quarterly for your magazine ya lib ass clowns. :rolleyes: Gawd the stupidity. :censored: But where do I move to??

Took a tumble today helping the guys load a Container going to Guyana, lucky it is not worst being as old as I am but right ankle, left knee and thigh and left elbow is all pretty painful right now. Beer and watching golf is helping, but my round in the morning to try the new putter may not be a grand experience.

Back