Official Rant of the Day

Before heading to work this morning I shovelled the driveway and sidewalk after the 4" of snow we received overnight.

I returned home tonight and of the 14 houses in my block only 1 did not have the sidewalk cleared of snow. Which one? My deadbeat neighbour!

For reasons that can only make sense to a masochist, my homeowners association decided to place this giant bright light in the park right behind my house, and to topi it off, place it the exact height of my bedroom window. We have gone back and forth over the last month to try to find ways to make it more livable than being on all night, which resulted in the installation of a motion sensor. It’s had its bugs, but they have been trying to fine tune and make it work the best it can.

But tonight, tonight is just next level annoying. This has been going on for the past hour, with no end in sight. FML.

View attachment trim.972257DF-8462-4B3A-94F3-3322A8778DEA.MOV

For reasons that can only make sense to a masochist, my homeowners association decided to place this giant bright light in the park right behind my house, and to topi it off, place it the exact height of my bedroom window. We have gone back and forth over the last month to try to find ways to make it more livable than being on all night, which resulted in the installation of a motion sensor. It’s had its bugs, but they have been trying to fine tune and make it work the best it can.

But tonight, tonight is just next level annoying. This has been going on for the past hour, with no end in sight. FML.

View attachment 8977197
That is absolutely ridiculous! First off, that thing is brighter than the surface of the sun. Second, what reason could they possibly have for needing to illuminate a three block radius?

I hope this gets resolved quickly for you, that thing is pure evil.

View attachment 8977197

Guess they want you to move huh?

View attachment 8977197
Jeez, that's just ridiculous.

View attachment 8977197

Easy fix...air rifle.

a ladder and black spray paint for the light?

It looks like the sensor might be on the blink. <--- pun not intended.

Is there a cut off for the light on the pole it's mounted to?

a ladder and black spray paint for the light?

It looks like the sensor might be on the blink. <--- pun not intended.

Is there a cut off for the light on the pole it's mounted to?
I don’t know, but I am voicing my concerns with the association. I’m sure they will try to resolve the issue, they are aware of my frustration with it.

I don’t know, but I am voicing my concerns with the association. I’m sure they will try to resolve the issue, they are aware of my frustration with it.

No ability to put a timer on that so that it doesn't turn on after a certain hour? I mean I am sure the HOA doesn't intend for that park to be used at 2 AM for example.

my dilemma:

i was always taught to respect others but man sometimes it is tough. there is a person that holds all the power and if you don't kiss this person rear you don't get anything. i absolutely hate kissing butt. i have tried to engage this person, without bending over, but they have no interest. the only thing i get back from them is some backhanded snarky comments. killing them with kindness, without kissing butt, is not working.

what would you suggest?

No ability to put a timer on that so that it doesn't turn on after a certain hour? I mean I am sure the HOA doesn't intend for that park to be used at 2 AM for example.
It’s actually there for the opposite reason, believe it or not. It’s a security light so that when people enter into the park after dark, they can be seen and kicked out by security. It’s all a bit mystifying.

my dilemma:

i was always taught to respect others but man sometimes it is tough. there is a person that holds all the power and if you don't kiss this person rear you don't get anything. i absolutely hate kissing butt. i have tried to engage this person, without bending over, but they have no interest. the only thing i get back from them is some backhanded snarky comments. killing them with kindness, without kissing butt, is not working.

what would you suggest?

Where is this relationship? Work? Family? Socially?

It’s actually there for the opposite reason, believe it or not. It’s a security light so that when people enter into the park after dark, they can be seen and kicked out by security. It’s all a bit mystifying.

Ugh. If that's the case, they should be able to put a hood on it to lower the range below the eyeline of the houses around it. Pointing more down than up so to speak.

socially, a club i belong to
I am not sure this is the answer you want, but for me, I would not be part of the club. No reason to be unhappy when you are trying to do something for the sole purpose of enjoyment.

I am not sure this is the answer you want, but for me, I would not be part of the club. No reason to be unhappy when you are trying to do something for the sole purpose of enjoyment.
i really enjoy the "club" and almost everyone in it. i try to avoid this person but sometimes it is tough. i hope it doesn't lead to me leaving the group but it might.

socially, a club i belong to

Hmmm. Is this an appointed position? Elected? Are you aware of others who have the same problem? On a net basis, are people joining or leaving this club?

I'm asking a lot of questions here, because you are being understandably skimpy on disclosing identifying information.

No blinding flashes of insight here, but:

This is a difficult one as you described it. I'd suggest looking for other people in the club who hold power and try to work through/with some of them. Maybe step back and think out of the box. For example, unless this person is founder and Poobah for Life of this organization, it's unlikely (s)he holds ALL the power, although it is in his/her best interests to make it seem that way.

One of my favorite management guru quotes is "Every organization is perfectly configured to do exactly what it's doing." What that means for you is that the people who make up your organization have decided that the costs and risks of driving change, up to and including leaving, are greater than the current status. It could be that everyone feels isolated and isn't aware that 60% of the membership feels as you do.

It is also possible you and this person just don't get along for whatever reason, especially if you seem to get "special" treatment. If so, you can always be the adult and approach this person about how you sense animosity between you, how you would like to understand why, if that's the case, and then listen until (s)he's finished talking. At that point it may be an emotional situation. You may want to agree to reconvene to discuss when you've both had time to cool down and process. But if you start down this route, you need to be committed to a resolution, which could be you both tried and it just didn't work.

It could also be that this person's style is "Teamwork is a bunch of people doing what I say." It's tough to go around, over, or through that. Ultimately, you may have to decide whether the juice is worth the squeeze for you.

Hmmm. Is this an appointed position? Elected? Are you aware of others who have the same problem? On a net basis, are people joining or leaving this club?

I'm asking a lot of questions here, because you are being understandably skimpy on disclosing identifying information.

No blinding flashes of insight here, but:

This is a difficult one as you described it. I'd suggest looking for other people in the club who hold power and try to work through/with some of them. Maybe step back and think out of the box. For example, unless this person is founder and Poobah for Life of this organization, it's unlikely (s)he holds ALL the power, although it is in his/her best interests to make it seem that way.

One of my favorite management guru quotes is "Every organization is perfectly configured to do exactly what it's doing." What that means for you is that the people who make up your organization have decided that the costs and risks of driving change, up to and including leaving, are greater than the current status. It could be that everyone feels isolated and isn't aware that 60% of the membership feels as you do.

It is also possible you and this person just don't get along for whatever reason, especially if you seem to get "special" treatment. If so, you can always be the adult and approach this person about how you sense animosity between you, how you would like to understand why, if that's the case, and then listen until (s)he's finished talking. At that point it may be an emotional situation. You may want to agree to reconvene to discuss when you've both had time to cool down and process. But if you start down this route, you need to be committed to a resolution, which could be you both tried and it just didn't work.

It could also be that this person's style is "Teamwork is a bunch of people doing what I say." It's tough to go around, over, or through that. Ultimately, you may have to decide whether the juice is worth the squeeze for you.
this person started said club and is the king of all. there is no hierarchy, (s)he is it. i have tried to reach out to him/her several times with either no response or a snarky one. the main problem is all the lackeys (s)he has. it is a fun group and (s)he has tons of people that love to kiss his/her butt....and (s)he laps it up.

this person started said club and is the king of all. there is no hierarchy, (s)he is it. i have tried to reach out to him/her several times with either no response or a snarky one. the main problem is all the lackeys (s)he has. it is a fun group and (s)he has tons of people that love to kiss his/her butt....and (s)he laps it up.

Tough situation for you. Sounds like a juice vs squeeze call for you. Others seem to be ok with things as they are.

Tough situation for you. Sounds like a juice vs squeeze call for you. Others seem to be ok with things as they are.
anytime i try to talk to people on the side i get the same thing each time: "you have to play the game with him/her"

i don't like playing the game...lol. i just want to enjoy myself and the club. yes i can avoid them but they are everywhere in/on everything.....UUUGGGHHH

I think I’m officially done using USPS. Everything I ship has delays and now they have cost me a decent amount of money because something I sold still hasn’t arrived and it was shipped on 11/9. Buyer wants a refund and who knows where my item is.

I am in the same wheelhouse as you, I sold a Scotty on Ebay shipped it and it disappeared for weeks, refunded the buyer and then it showed up delivered and the guy said, "Six for you".....

I did get Ebay involved along with a letter from my attorney and finally got paid, ended up costing money though

@AndyL0711, life's too short for that kind of nonsense. I'd walk away. And I have, in fact, done that twice with clubs. The first time largely for reasons not unlike what you're experiencing. The second time that kind of thing was a contributing factor, though not the determining one. I've been in several clubs in my adult life. Each a different special interest. It has been my experience clubs often become dominated by those with the biggest egos.

I’ve noticed definite slowdowns and missed delivery targets recently. :confused: But no other carrier has been any better unfortunately.
The Wu Flu has thrown a monkey wrench into all shippers' businesses. I have noticed an above-average amount of wonkiness in USPS' system, but it's been mostly tolerable.

Thing is: Add to the existing wonkiness the fact that on-line orders are probably going to increase substantially this holiday/gift-giving season and you have a recipe for a lot of annoyed people.

I have a driver scheduled to arrive Friday and a trade-in box scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I've got three returns to ship out. One will be out the door today. Once I get those on the way I don't plan to have any other dealings with shipping services until well after the New Year, at the earliest.

View attachment 8977197

Good grief... I would lose my mind... I would probably take a sling shot to the light at some point..

Back