wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
Thoughts on the “Okay Boomer” comeback?

I’m personally a fan because it reflects so much frustration I have with the industry I’m in.

Funny thing is, most of Z is from delayed parent Boomers, who coddled and spoiled them, creating Z.

Intellectually lazy and therefore ineffective. The retort basically involves rejecting the other person's argument because of their perspective/age. I understand that it is in response to basically feeling the same sort of response from parents/older generations towards their feelings/arguments, but that doesn't make it effective or valid as a comeback.

Now I've already said too much.

The arguments between generations is rather funny and not something that will go away any time soon.

I just think this sort of things does nothing positive. Instead it just adds to the Twitter cesspool.

Since I'm so out of touch is this retort used primarily by one side or the other? Or is it just a universal way of telling the other person they're closed minded?

I just think this sort of things does nothing positive. Instead it just adds to the Twitter cesspool.

Since I'm so out of touch is this retort used primarily by one side or the other? Or is it just a universal way of telling the other person they're closed minded?
Basically, yes. It has been adopted by "millennials" in part as a response to them being dismissed as "millennials." They feel they are giving older generations a taste of their own medicine by responding to any argument by an older person with "ok boomer." The problem is that it feeds right back into the common criticisms (whether valid or not) of millenials as being lazy and unable or unwilling to face reality.

Basically, yes. It has been adopted by "millennials" in part as a response to them being dismissed as "millennials." They feel they are giving older generations a taste of their own medicine by responding to any argument by an older person with "ok boomer." The problem is that it feeds right back into the common criticisms (whether valid or not) of millenials as being lazy and unable or unwilling to face reality.

Millenials are not the young ones! Everyone keeps talking about millenials like they're college student. Most of Gen Y (Millenials) are in their 30s now, and the oldest of that generation are nearing 40.

The best quote I've heard on this is "When you talk about millenials on campus, they're going for tenure and not attending classes"

Millenials are not the young ones! Everyone keeps talking about millenials like they're college student. Most of Gen Y (Millenials) are in their 30s now, and the oldest of that generation are nearing 40.

The best quote I've heard on this is "When you talk about millenials on campus, they're going for tenure and not attending classes"

?? Boomer

That's a good point. Millennials caught a lot of the flack because of their (somewhat) recent entry into the work force, but the ok boomer vanguard is largely in the generation behind the millennials.

Maybe an old guy like me should join twitter and send comments to anyone younger than me

“Okay Young Whippersnapper”

Millennials V Boomers is always fun as a Gen X'er ?

categorizing into a generation almost never comes up in a positive way, which means I am totally opposed to it.

My Dad talks negatively about millennials all the time, and likes to lump me into it (despite everything he complains about having nothing to do with my work ethic or personal outlook on life). I've opted to start calling him a millennial any time he is on his phone during a meal, or uses "u" instead of "you" in texts etc. He does not enjoy it.

It just seems pointless to me.

The initial response was from a young politician who was essentially belittled by an older politician right? Then they have a comeback, and the older generation takes offense.. despite the older generations argument that the younger generation is too sensitive

I'm an older millennial I guess (mid 30s), and have bitten my tongue at so much ignorant crap spat out by my aunts, uncle's, in-law gparents and family, and I know nothing will change their mind, but at least they may know that tho they can share their opinions I could care less about those thoughts, just as they could care less about mine

I thought Oklahoma fans were just getting a little vocal.

Funny thing is, most of Z is from delayed parent Boomers, who coddled and spoiled them, creating Z.
Actually applies more to Gen Y/Millennials, Gen Z is actually from Gen X parents and some older millennials.

As a Gen Xer, I feel like the forgotten generation. All the talk is about Baby Boomers, Generation Y and now Generation Z.

I think generational friction is pretty much standard human nature. Unfortunately it divides and excludes people. I work with younger people everyday. These media narratives of millennials and other so-called younger generational generalizations is baloney. Younger people are anything but lazy. I think they are amazing, highly motivated, and want to engage. I spend a lot of my time trying to help them find opportunities. And when it comes to solving problems and finding new ways forward, I think we are all better off when we include people. We are all stakeholders. But hate and division gets the media microscope, while things like inclusion and working together seem to be discounted.

As a Gen Xer, I feel like the forgotten generation. All the talk is about Baby Boomers, Generation Y and now Generation Z.

I was just thinking the same thing. Us Gen Xer’s are like the middle child.

I just this post on FB from a friend,
3E2C6D95-C8A4-441F-8FE2-980C617E49F9.png

But that's a good thing. If we keep our heads down maybe we won't have an "insult" named after us!

It is good for quickly communicating a basic concept... the speaker is intellectually lazy or incompetent, not to mention hypocritical.

I’m not seriously offended by it. I don’t mind being called old (Hello, @ArmyGolf) but I would prefer people actually address the merits of an argument rather than being dismissive.

Edit: I just looked it up. Turns out I’m a Gen X er. So never mind, screw those Boomers :)

I think generational friction is pretty much standard human nature. Unfortunately it divides and excludes people. I work with younger people everyday. These media narratives of millennials and other so-called younger generational generalizations is baloney. Younger people are anything but lazy. I think they are amazing, highly motivated, and want to engage. I spend a lot of my time trying to help them find opportunities. And when it comes to solving problems and finding new ways forward, I think we are all better off when we include people. We are all stakeholders. But hate and division gets the media microscope, while things like inclusion and working together seem to be discounted.
I cannot agree more. Millennials are pretty amazing.

I stole this quote from another website and part of the reason why I like the "okay boomer" comeback when applied to my industry:

The session attendee’s idea was one I had not really heard before, but which rang eerily true once spoken. Generation X had its brief moment in the spotlight—mostly for purposes of being called lazy—but attention has since moved to the Millenials (aka Generation Y). The point of the person who spoke up at Great Ideas is that organizations are pandering to the perceived needs of the Millenials, and are not making sufficient efforts to groom GenX’ers for leadership. Succession problems are sure to follow as Boomer’s retire.

As a Gen Xer, I feel like we were forgotten about. In my industry the baby boomers stayed around so long and did a terrible job mentoring and coaching us that organizations are now looking at Generation Y for leadership. I still go to conference after conference that is full of white males in their 60s reminiscing about their glory days - it's rooms full of dinosaurs. I attended an IBM conference and it was such a nice change - leadership of all ages, races and sexes and no homogenous looking attendees.

Heck, just today, I was belittled by a boomer because he has over 40 years of experience compared to my paltry 20 years - he felt superior to me and wanted everyone to know it. Unfortunately it's not an isolated incident.

Back