Old Course Singles Daily Draw replaces queuing all night

This actually makes me want to enter when I’m there at the end of May now because I had no ability to camp out overnight. Means it if got lucky I could rental it up and experience it.

While I don’t prefer the method, for me 10% is better than 0%
For me the last two times over I had zero ambition to sleep out for a potential 7th play. So I go to breakfast with three of the guys I was with as they had qued up and put name on list and were told approximately when to show back up. We eat and just for haha's I go to sign up. I walk in and sign up and starter says do you have your clubs. I say no but my place is right up road and I can be back in 10 with them. He says ok do that and you are off at such and such time. I look at him and say but I have 3 buds who signed up after sleeping out and they are 20 some slots ahead of me. He says well they aren't here right now. I couldn't jump them. So I call them and tell em to get their asses here. They showed up pronto and one went off at that time offered to me and the other two father/son went off 20 minutes later. It was a dreary looking day. Then sky opened. Sun came out and the place was crawling with wannabe players. I didn't get to play. Meandered over to Fairmont and played with several others I was traveling with. Personally for me this new system would work better. I'm past sleeping out. But also, many more will be adding their names for the potential. So odds will definitely not be in our favor. Good Luck.

Guys I have traveled with have been sharing emails about our experiences with this and saying just this. Glad we did this and have those memories.
at one point we ended up talking about our first concerts and I'll never forget this guy from New Zealand asked us if Huey Lewis and the News was a thing. When we laughed and said yes, he said that was his first concert. We all got a chuckle out of that.

Strange I didn’t get that text
Oh that sucks… only posted about it now four times or so. I’ll be sure to tag you and Jemery in every photo of Berwick, Gullane, Kingsbarn, Castle, Old, and Carnoustie.

Oh that sucks… only posted about it now four times or so. I’ll be sure to tag you and Jemery in every photo of Berwick, Gullane, Kingsbarn, Castle, Old, and Carnoustie.
I get the feeling you will be on a posting hiatus during that

I get the feeling you will be on a posting hiatus during that
It’ll come in waves, but there will be jigger inn photos… and photos from the Rusacks

I am glad I was able to do the stay overnight thing at least once.

was so cold. One dude brought his comforter from the hotel. First I laughed, then I realized he was a genius.
i went in june. and was NOT prepared for the temps or wind. everything about that day was just perfect.

That's going to make it really difficult to plan.

"Sorry, try again tomorrow."

"But I'm playing course X tomorrow."

"Well try again the day after"

"But we're taking a tour the day after."

"Well, extend your trip by two weeks and $2,000, sit in a hotel room and hope you get on, but no guarantees."

Not a fan of this. Feel like it could easily be abused to. I really was always infatuated by the concept of waiting in line all night for a chance to play this magical golf course.

Any time a system changes from first come first serve to names in a hat with random draw....Well we all know how that works.
So it’s a random draw too? What’s to prevent someone from entering 87 times with different email addresses?

So it’s a random draw too? What’s to prevent someone from entering 87 times with different email addresses?
You must show up. Sign up. Get photo taken and then that person in photo only can play.

at one point we ended up talking about our first concerts and I'll never forget this guy from New Zealand asked us if Huey Lewis and the News was a thing. When we laughed and said yes, he said that was his first concert. We all got a chuckle out of that.
Sometimes it’s hip to be square.

Definitely a love/hate with this new process. I love that I don’t have to pack my camp sleeping bag and pad, but I hate that the prospect of camping out for a chance to play the Old is gone. While I’d love to play it, my trip will not be ruined if I don’t. Happy to be spending 6 days in the neighborhood for a chance, just wish it wasn’t July!!

Definitely a love/hate with this new process. I love that I don’t have to pack my camp sleeping bag and pad, but I hate that the prospect of camping out for a chance to play the Old is gone. While I’d love to play it, my trip will not be ruined if I don’t. Happy to be spending 6 days in the neighborhood for a chance, just wish it wasn’t July!!
My guess is now every Tom, Dick and Harry will be signing up for a chance. Sure, why not. So chances of securing the last option of walk on just got tougher. You should contact Gingerbeergolftravel and set up as many ballot buddies as possible. You'll do that in advance and again my guess is chances with ballot will exceed chances walk on now as ballot requires 2 or more.

not going to lie, standing in line, in the dark, on those grounds, chatting with golfers from all over the world was one experience I’m glad I had.
1000% this! It’s such a cool experience to show up in the dark next to the first tee. Sitting there cold, tired, and hungry all with the hopes of playing is amazing! I’m so glad I got to do this when I was there rather than this new way.

Showed my buddy this, we determined we’re just gonna sit out there anyway.
Do it. I’m sure others will show up not knowing it’s changed and you’ll have make new friends out of anger at the new dumb rule

My guess is now every Tom, Dick and Harry will be signing up for a chance. Sure, why not. So chances of securing the last option of walk on just got tougher. You should contact Gingerbeergolftravel and set up as many ballot buddies as possible. You'll do that in advance and again my guess is chances with ballot will exceed chances walk on now as ballot requires 2 or more.

That was our plan, fortunately it’s my BIL and I and he is definitely more motivated than I. He wants it bad. Planning to hit the ballot for every day in country, except Saturday at the Open.

Interesting.
I'll be in St. Andrew late May and was going to que up for a shot as a single, but at 62yo, I wasn't looking forward to freezing all night.
My luck sucks at drawings and raffles, but I guess this is the way now.
I'll walk the course on Sunday just to see and feel it.

Last edited:

Back