On a given scorecard, how do you record stats (GIR, # putts, etc)

I may be in the minority, but I can remember them and put them on a spreadsheet or in oobgolf after the round. I usually go through my round after I get home.
I bet most people can on a course they play a lot. On strange courses is where keeping track for stat purposes is important for me.

I may be in the minority, but I can remember them and put them on a spreadsheet or in oobgolf after the round. I usually go through my round after I get home.

I used to do that with my SkyCaddie setup a lot. Fun to go back through and address my flaws -- Good practice.

Thanks to all ... this is really helpful

I got a score card hold last year so I plan on just keeping my own score this year so I can use the entire card.

Top Line is usually my score.
2nd Line is Fairways with a < or > to show which side of the fairway if hit.
3rd Line is GIR
4th is # Putts

If I am having to keep score for others, its 2 cards, one for me, one for everyone else.

I use a whole card for myself separate from my playing partners so that I can keep track of my stats. I track FIR ( if I miss I mark which direction), GIR, Putts, Chips, Pitches, Sand and Penalties.
This is what I do too. I also include how I missed the green, lrso, and any extra shots (ie if I had to punch out or I topped a fww)

I mark mine with Score across in the normal place, then below my score if playing alone Titled FH (Fairway Hit) (Y/N), GIR (Y/N), and Putts

If playing with others I will write it in towards the bottom

I like the idea of marking in the Fairway Hit box what side of the fairway I landed on....

Top column is score.
Other columns: Tee shot (direction in one corner, club hit in other corner), putts, penalty shots.

I always carry a card for myself, even when playing with others, so that I can write this stuff down.

Same as others. When I'm solo just use up the entire scorecard. I usually just keep track of fairways, GIR and putts. The last couple rounds of last year I kept track of what club I used off the tee just to see where I am more accurate, but it's not really something I care too much about.

I must be lucky, because most of the time when I'm playing with my buddies, we will all keep our own score, or they use their phones, which leaves me nearly the entire scorecard. I use my phone as well, but there is still something about just using the pencil and paper that just feels right.

I just do score, fairways hit L or R, and putts.

It's been awhile since I have done anything like this on a scorecard. But I used to draw in and color a little box in the upper right corner above my score to indicate a 3 putt. The upper left corner was for 1 putts. I suppose you could use the lower left and right corners for missing the fairway left or right. In theory, you could figure out the GIR based on number of putts and your score, or you could just put a check mark next to the score to indicate GIR.

It can be done. Keep that pencil sharp.

~Rock

I always track score, fwys, putts, and penalty strokes. Sometimes I'll throw # of sand shots on there as well. GIR I'll calculate after the fact (or just let OOB do it for me).

I've been told that I really need to start keeping key stats to determine my weaknesses, and what needs to be improved. I would like to hear how everyone keeps stats on their scorecard, such as GIR, # putts, etc. There's just not a lot of room to make such marks on a scorecard & I'd like to figure out the best way to do it.

PS - I'm old school, and I know a lot of you probably use your smartphone to log stats ... that's just not in the cards for me, so I guess I'm looking to those who use a paper scorecard, how they do it.

Thx

Not that it's very old school, but I dislike having anything other than my ID in my pocket when I go play a round of golf. My concession to new school is a Game Golf unit where I don't need to worry about writing things down, and the GPS mostly takes care of me. :)

If I'm tracking things, I'll sometimes use a paper I keep in my bag, as our cards have to be signed and left to have scores posted to the handicap system.

If I am playing alone I mark my scorecard as follows:

G (green in regulation)
F (fairways hit)
P (#of putts)
S (sand save)

Then I just check the box corresponding to each under the hole played. Score goes in the usual spot.

I mark my card exactly like hawk does. Always has worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Score gets its own row, because it's special.

Then I use another row for FIR/Club used, and another row is for Penalties/Sand. Then # putts gets its own row as well. I may start getting away from this because I now have Game Golf installed on my clubs, so I'll probably only record score, # putts, and #sand shots (to make sure Game Golf doesn't flub any of those stats).

I just use the 3 rows below my name for FIR, GIR and Putts.

I've got a pretty good memory and can recall almost shot for shot my entire round after the round is over. If I'm struggling, I'll usually jot down a few things from the round and see where I ended up.

I use cards but to be honest the stat I keep is the score. I just haven't got into the stat keeping side of things, im just thinking about playing without worrying about writing down and thinking about whether ive got a FIR or GIR. Each to their own though.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

I want to start using a scorecard again vs a phone app and I have picked up some good ideas on how to quickly note the data.

Like others said I use the rows below to record FIR, GIR, Up/Down, Putts. Besides the score these are the only 4 stats that I keep track of.

I usually keep track of fairways, putts, penalties, and sand shots. When I transfer it to oob, it determines my GIR.

Anybody use one of these stat pads? If you google them up or look on fleabay you can find stuff that wants you to record just about everything about a round - when you sneezed, did you buy a soda from the cart girl, and what club you used on every hole. I think some of that would be a little intrusive but this might be kinda nice. thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Stats-Gol...257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c94cae289

Back