On a given scorecard, how do you record stats (GIR, # putts, etc)

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
I've been told that I really need to start keeping key stats to determine my weaknesses, and what needs to be improved. I would like to hear how everyone keeps stats on their scorecard, such as GIR, # putts, etc. There's just not a lot of room to make such marks on a scorecard & I'd like to figure out the best way to do it.

PS - I'm old school, and I know a lot of you probably use your smartphone to log stats ... that's just not in the cards for me, so I guess I'm looking to those who use a paper scorecard, how they do it.

Thx

I do it one of two ways, depending if I'm playing with somebody else or not and their score takes up room.

Solo I use each row for (in order) score, fwy, green, putts.
With partners I use corners. Score in the middele, f for fairway in one corner, g for green in another, and a number for putts in another.

If I have the whole card to myself, I'll typically do FIR/GIR in one box, putts in the next, Pen/Sand in the last.

I keep mine on my phone most of the time but on those occasions I do not, I do try and keep GIR, Putts and Fairways hit. Then I transfer it to an online account I have and that is where all of my stats are stored and I can look at.

If I have the whole card to myself, I'll typically do FIR/GIR in one box, putts in the next, Pen/Sand in the last.
This is exactly how I do it. And it drives me NUTS when I add up that "penalty" number at the end of each round.

I separately record strokes (not counting putts or penalties), putts, and penalties. I used to record oddball situations, like having to punch out sideways from behind a tree, etc.

There are five rows on scorecards at my club, which seems to me to be plenty of room to record all kinds of info. Even if someone else is keeping your score on a card, carry another card in your pocket and mark it up.

...I would like to hear how everyone keeps stats on their scorecard, such as GIR, # putts, etc. There's just not a lot of room to make such marks on a scorecard....

Last edited:
If you want to track where your tee shots end up you can use diagonal lines in the box or corner for your fairway indicator. So 'F' for fairway, diagonal up/left for pull and curve the line for a hook, and diagonal up/right for a push with a curve for a slice. Or if you find it to be a decent drive but just outside the fairway in the right/left rough you could use a horizontal arrow.

I use a whole card for myself separate from my playing partners so that I can keep track of my stats. I track FIR ( if I miss I mark which direction), GIR, Putts, Chips, Pitches, Sand and Penalties.

Usually I track my putts, GIR and fairways hit on the scorecard. But recently downloaded an app to keep track a little better while giving distances , win win. I see this as a great way to improve on my weaknesses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use golf logix, I know you said it wasn't in the cards but it really does do all the work for you.

I usually track my Fairways, GIR, putts and penalties on my card. If I play with others then I will keep my own scorecard separate from the group just for the stat purpose.

If I'm playing and it's fairly slow then I also throw my driving distance on the card (gps is handy) as well as sand saves. I have little engineering chicken scratch so it's no biggie trying to combine these numbers onto one card.

Then when I get home I upload them online where I track my handicap.

I created an excel spreadsheet that I print out and take with me. Its pretty detailed so that I know exactly what I need to practice.

I used Golfshot before.

This is what I do now:

12094aa96b6b62d8dc264bdca0e8ccb7.jpg

Or this

85ff613bdac6fd107d3cfe37c2a68203.jpg

Using Tapatalk

With a solo scorecard I'll keep score, fairways (direction missed/hit), greens, putts (circle 3 putts), penalty strokes.

If I need to save room, I'll keep FIRs and GIRs in the same box.

I do it one of two ways, depending if I'm playing with somebody else or not and their score takes up room.

With partners I use corners. Score in the middele, f for fairway in one corner, g for green in another, and a number for putts in another.

I'm about the same, although my course scorecard has 8 lines so there's room for my madness in any situation.

I do this as well and also add up/down (anything that is a pitch or chip from 30yds and in). Also track how many shots from 100yds and in.

This is pretty much what I do as well.

like others, I used each row for different stats:

Score on hole
F/R/L (Fairway/Right/Left) or - for par 3
G/up arrow/ up and down arrow (GIR, up, up and down), if Sand I right a small S in the corner of this box
# putts
guesstimate of distance for 1st putt (not too scientific here)

I also mark a P if there is a penalty on the hole

I almost always play with others and keep their score. I'm the responsible one :angel:

Thus, I record all my stats in one box per hole. It looks something like this:

Top Left: Where my drive went....(L, ●, R)
Top Right: Did I hit the green? (L, ●, R, S, G[for long])
Middle: Score on the hole
Bottom Left: Up and down/Sand/Penalty/Misc.
Bottom Right: Putts on the hole (self explanatory)

It's kind of cluttered but it works with a sharp pencil and young eyes.

Last edited:
On my scorecard I saved score, putts, fwy, gir, in that order. If I have more room I save up/downs and sand saves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will mark in one box, 4/2 (I scored 4 and took 2 putts). I keep track of putts even though I don't think PPR is as telling a stat as others do.

In the box below, I will write an F, an R or an L for fairways (I write an X if I come up short of the fairway).

I don't keep track of GIR on the scorecard as I figure comparing putts to score takes care of that and oob will figure it out when I input my scores.

I keep a separate scorecard for my stats.

I usually play by myself, in which case I track score, FIR, GIR, putts, length of made putt and OB/Penalties.

Top Left: Where my drive went....(L, ●, R)
Top Right: Did I hit the green? (L, ●, R, S, G[for long]
I like this and am going to start doing it myself.

I may be in the minority, but I can remember them and put them on a spreadsheet or in oobgolf after the round. I usually go through my round after I get home.

Back