On course GPS or your own GPS?

Really don't even pay attention to the cart once I strapped a shot scope to my wrist. When I've checked the yardages were always similar.

The main. Oyrse I play has touch screen GPS in the carts. It's awesome. I use my own mainly for distance tracking or looking for a wayward shot.

Both? If we drive the cart up to my ball i'll take the cart number. If my go to my partners ball first i'll grab a few clubs based on the cart distance and where my ball is walk up and use my Shotscope GPS (Rangefinder where i'm using an iron). Haven't seen the cart GPS be that different than shotscope usually.

I have a Garmin hand held GPS i use. The carts at our club do not have GPS units. If i am someplace with them i will still carry mine because when riding with someone we may split up and each go to our balls. Dont have to drive the cart to both locations to get distances.

It's nice when they have them on the cart but up here it's really only the higher end courses that have them.

I prefer the on the cart gps. More versatile.

We've been nothing but CPO for the last two months, so it's a combo of cart and laser. Cart is a good starting point, but the laser don't lie!

ETA: I always have Arccos on the phone as well, but again, those #'s are approximations, being as all civilian GPS is only to about 10'-15'

I'm generally using my own as I trust it a bit more than the cart. Have had some dicey experiences with those on the cart

I occasionally check the cart GPS but almost always use my watch or a rangefinder instead. I don't usually compare to see if there's a difference. I blindly trust the cart if I use it lol

I just use my watch/range finder. The cart GPS stays on the scorecard screen for us.

If it's a course I'm not familiar with, I'll use it just to see the hole layout.

I like my watch more than cart GPS. I hate relying on being close to the cart when I am ready to hit

When I DO take a cart (rarely) and it has GPS, it 'generally' doesn't have exact yardage to the pin. Mostly to center of green. Yes, you can sometimes pop in with a tap the spot that the pin is in, but that gets fiddly. Some courses with more advanced systems will sometimes have the ability to put in pin yardage, but they are few and far between. And green sizes these days are getting out of hand. they can be 2/3 or 4 clubs deep. Get the general number off the cart, then Laser. Of course I'm not really good enough to hit to an exact number, it just makes me FEEL more confident in the number and club choice.

I rely on my watch GPS and my rangefinder. If the cart is one of the cool ones with the touchscreen GPS I'll occasionally use it to check distances to doglegs or hazards or whatever, especially if it's a new/unfamiliar course to me, but most of the time I'll go with what's on my wrist.

I walk ~99% of my rounds (only 4 usually I have to take a cart on a trip I do in April). I have an Approach S62 which I use all the time, so I just stick with that. The only thing I use the cart one for is on a couple of holes they are blind tee shots and they show where the other carts are so we check the distance to those.

... The only thing I use the cart one for is on a couple of holes they are blind tee shots and they show where the other carts are so we check the distance to those.
A few courses around here have that and it's a GREAT feature on certain holes. We have cart GPS at my home course and could really use it on holes 13&14. We've had guys hit and injured while waiting in the fairway on both. Going to see if our GPS systems have that featue and have it activated if so. Wouldn't help so much in the winter since golfers are usually a long way from where they parked but would help when they allow carts in fairways soon.

Last edited:
Cart GPS usually has out of date pin locations when I have encountered them so I don't really trust it for exact pin distance but do for everything else. I do tell my buddies exactly where the cart says the pin is though. They need that type of information.

Depends on the course. If I know there are issues with the on Cart units and reliability on accurate pin location...then I do not explicitly rely on them. Some courses have great units. showing the carts of the group in front is awesome. I just wish they would add the cart girl location at all times.

X5 or SkyCaddie 100% of the time. Rarely are the cart distances correct especially to the pin 📌

I'll still use my ShotScope X5. It's become so routine I don't even really look at the cart GPS

I use my own, that is what i have been using and what i am comfortable with. I have both a Shotscope and a Bushnell Wingman

I always use my X5 because I trust it.

I always use my own as it’s in my routine. Ones on course are ok but prefer mine.

My own most of the time.
Golfshot app. seems to be just as accurate

Back