Once again, cancer sucks...

Wade, I am currently a seven-year+ cancer patient. It's hard to be a patient, but doubly hard to be a caregiver who is supporting and grieving at the same time. Counseling will help you understand how to balance your role as caregiver with your grief. Take advantage of a support group if one is available. Be continuously in tune with the present moment. The past is gone forever, and the future is not yet written. From time to time, go play golf. You need to take a break--really, you do. You and Shea have all my love.

I appreciate it @RecGolfer. Being a caregiver is indeed not easy. Not just in the extra work they have to do in keeping up the household, but also in the extra emotional toll. They have to support the rest of the family emotionally and be a beacon of strength for the patient. And it's difficult for a caregiver to have an outlet. No matter how tired you get, the patient is tired too and they're still the one with cancer. No matter how depressed you feel, the patient is depressed too and they're still the one with cancer. All that can make the caregiver feel guilty for even feeling tired or depressed. This experience has taught me a lot about how hard it is to be either the patient or the caregiver.

FYI as an update, we're now 6.5 years in and my wife is still doing relatively OK. She has bad days and good days and we're on about our 7th clinical trial. We just keep moving forward day by day and try to make the best out of them we can.

Best wishes to you and yours @RecGolfer!

My uncle lost his battle with colon cancer today. I’m getting really tired of bumping this thread. This disease has been really tough on my family and friends lately.

So sorry to hear J.B.

My uncle lost his battle with colon cancer today. I’m getting really tired of bumping this thread. This disease has been really tough on my family and friends lately.
I'm very sorry to hear that JBCIII - prayers are with you and yours.

My father in law's cancer is back. A 3 hour appointment up in Boston confirmed it. The docs are "relatively confident" he'll beat it again, but the worry is how much of a toll this is going to take on his 83yr old body. When he beat it the first time he was in his mid 60's. Thankfully he's still pretty darn healthy for the most part, takes 3-5mi walks every morning, climbs up on his roof still to make chimney repairs (much to all of our consternation), but 6 weeks of treatments are going to be rough. My wife is taking it OK so my job right now is to just support her and be there for her parents, keeping my fingers crossed all works out again.

I had a prostate biopsy done on Wednesday. This morning the results came in showing Prostatic Adenocarcinoma.
My father had the same thing back in the early 80's and had his prostate removed. I am waiting on a call back from my urologist to discuss treatment.
This is the 4th type of cancer I have been hit by since 2005. Colon, Squamous Cell, Sebaceous Carcinoma and now Prostrate.

Again....cancer effing sucks !

I had a prostate biopsy done on Wednesday. This morning the results came in showing Prostatic Adenocarcinoma.
My father had the same thing back in the early 80's and had his prostate removed. I am waiting on a call back from my urologist to discuss treatment.
This is the 4th type of cancer I have been hit by since 2005. Colon, Squamous Cell, Sebaceous Carcinoma and now Prostrate.

Good luck on your treatment plan.

As a cancer survivor myself (2 years, 2 months) Wishing you well and positive thoughts for success .

Last edited:

Hope you get well soon!

Dang yo. Positive vibes your way. Hope things go smoothly with your treatment and you beat it soon.

Thanks for all the well wishes !

Sorry to hear it drum. You're inspiring with how much you've been through and the attitude you show. Hope we get to tee it up sometime.

I’m so sorry!

@Drumdog wishing your the best and everyone else in this thread.

Wow that’s awful. So sorry to hear. Keep fighting the good fight, and best wishes.

That's brutal. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

ren%C3%A9e-slater.gif

Had a nice getogether at my good friend, Ray's the other night. He's 19 months into a stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis. He's fought a good fight and hospice is keeping him comfortable. He's a Philly guy to his core. We came up with the idea to re-watch the Eagles' Super Bowl win and have Philly Cheesesteaks with a small group visiting. The timing of it all made watching the game difficult. It would have been a bit much for Ray anyways. But the cheesesteaks were a success, made to order for Ray. His daughter was in town from Philly and brought authentic buns. Another friend helped greatly assembling sandwiches while I manned the flattop. We got a thumbs up approval from Ray. Love ya, Big Dog...

Best of luck with that. Having been thru it, it is one of the most easily treated when caught early. You are a survivor and won't have any issues.

I am now home from the prostate cancer removal. To add to that, both the wife and I came down with Covid.
The surgery was successful, but the covid coughing lights the pain up in the 5 incisions I have in my belly from the surgery.
I can't say enough how appreciative I am of my wife taking care of me even though she has Covid. I am so blessed to have her in my life.

I say again.... Cancer effing sucks !

I am now home from the prostate cancer removal. To add to that, both the wife and I came down with Covid.
The surgery was successful, but the covid coughing lights the pain up in the 5 incisions I have in my belly from the surgery.
I can't say enough how appreciative I am of my wife taking care of me even though she has Covid. I am so blessed to have her in my life.

Wishing you both the best. Get back to 100% ASAP.

Keep fighting, and heal up. Sounds like you owe her a weekend away when you are both better :)

Get well soon!

Get well soon!

Glad you're home. I hope you both kick the plague's ass soon. Best to you in your recovery.

Hope everything is well and you heal quickly. #SURVIVOR.

Back