One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

What lie angle do you like on your 7 iron. Okay done.

Haven't they been doing progressive lie angles starting with the F8's? That would be my concern as well since I seem to have had a few more issues with the long irons in the F8's and F9's than in the F7's.

If/when it's time to choose a new set OL in a GI configuration will absolutely be high on the list of consideration. Look forward to following along with this.

Mine are a little different in that they don't have a brand name other than THP on there, but I agree, one heck of an awesome combo.
Aww, that does make sense.

I believe it would be a custom order, but can be done.
Their new screw system definitely makes swing weight easier when changing length or shafts.
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but what is the reasoning for 7i length? In the middle of the traditional 4-PW set, or more to it?

I believe it would be a custom order, but can be done.
Their new screw system definitely makes swing weight easier when changing length or shafts.

Thanks JB, something I'll have to speak to my fitter about. When I did my fitting they only had a 7i in each model and I think a 5i in the OL so there wasn't a great deal of conversation to be had around it at that point. Definitely going to be taking my time on this now, ponder mode seriously engaged.

Haven't they been doing progressive lie angles starting with the F8's? That would be my concern as well since I seem to have had a few more issues with the long irons in the F8's and F9's than in the F7's.

They have. My post was indicating that in his current set, he plays to a specific lie on his 7 and that would make sense for the 7 here. And progress from there.
Super easy to do though.

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but what is the reasoning for 7i length? In the middle of the traditional 4-PW set, or more to it?

In my opinion, yes.

Awesome. Looking forward to periodic updates throughout the year.

As is golf, I am sure as you gain experience, your wants, and needs will morph and change some throughout the year as you play more with them.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to adjust add or subtract as your get more comfortable.

I'm definitely following this thread as I believe OL is definitely in my future

That setup is very nice. If I were to go with a one length, I would prefer to base it on the 8i stock length. It's encouraging to hear that the gapping remained so consistent and the distances were where you wanted or could use them!

I love the use of the 8-iron length here. Being the club I've felt most comfortable with in the Speedzones, it gets the brain churning a little more on OL.

I think if I was planning OL through hybrids I'd go 7i.
If I was planning to stop at 5i, I'd strongly consider 8i length.
🤔

I'm definitely engaged in this thread. I really want to try OL but it can be an expensive experiment...I need convincing (or enabling)!

Having put the F-Max OL set into play for most of the year, I've gone back to my c300 Forged variable set, for a variety of reasons.

However, I think a blended set could work for me. I've dabbled with a 3-length concept from hybrids to wedges, the main hurdle being headweight adjustment. Looks like that wouldn't be much of a hurdle anymore with what looks like an easily modifiable weight in the Radspeed

None. Well actually about 5 yards of distance per club over my previous set, but I saw that with brief testing of RADSPEED variable length as well.
I love those shafts, as others have mentioned. The set looks great.

The part that I have a hard time getting my arms around is how the distance is, relative to your statement that the RAD irons are longer through the set, the same. I certainly don’t doubt you. I am just trying to understand the physics of it. It would seem like if you took a standard RAD 7 iron and hit it against a RAD one length 7 iron, set at 8 iron length, you would be hitting identical iron setups, except for length, and the standard, being one half inch longer, would have a couple more miles per hour speed, resulting in more distance. My simple brain doesn’t get why this is not the result.

At the same time, the two 8 irons should play exactly the same because they are essentially the same club. I guess the lofting must be much more important than the length of the shaft.

Anyway, this is a cool story and will be fun to follow.

@JB, I went One Length for the 2018 Morgan Cup and I really enjoyed those clubs.
My biggest issue was gapping in the upper end of my bag. My OL 3H went a little further than my 4H but my 4H was going the same distance as my 5i.

I see that your set goes from 5i to a 4 hybrid. Have you seen better distances from this new OL hybrid?

As to joining the One Length Revolution, I no longer game One Length irons but I could EASILY go back without question.
One thing I have seen is that you really do need to get fit for the whole iron set. If you do get a proper fitting done, One Length irons/hybrids are a blast!!

I love those shafts, as others have mentioned. The set looks great.

The part that I have a hard time getting my arms around is how the distance is, relative to your statement that the RAD irons are longer through the set, the same. I certainly don’t doubt you. I am just trying to understand the physics of it. It would seem like if you took a standard RAD 7 iron and hit it against a RAD one length 7 iron, set at 8 iron length, you would be hitting identical iron setups, except for length, and the standard, being one half inch longer, would have a couple more miles per hour speed, resulting in more distance. My simple brain doesn’t get why this is not the result.

At the same time, the two 8 irons should play exactly the same because they are essentially the same club. I guess the lofting must be much more important than the length of the shaft.

Anyway, this is a cool story and will be fun to follow.

The heads are not identical. If they were, then I would agree.
But length, loft, weight, etc etc etc all are part of package that create distance.

@JB I am really liking your approach to this. And I love the idea of going with the length of an 8 iron instead of the 7. That never occured to me, but it is something I think I would like to do since I am much more consistant with a 8 iron over a 7. Gonna be a fun follow.

@JB, I went One Length for the 2018 Morgan Cup and I really enjoyed those clubs.
My biggest issue was gapping in the upper end of my bag. My OL 3H went a little further than my 4H but my 4H was going the same distance as my 5i.

I see that your set goes from 5i to a 4 hybrid. Have you seen better distances from this new OL hybrid?

As to joining the One Length Revolution, I no longer game One Length irons but I could EASILY go back without question.
One thing I have seen is that you really do need to get fit for the whole iron set. If you do get a proper fitting done, One Length irons/hybrids are a blast!!

Yes I have and similar to you, I struggled early on with distance gapping in the longer irons. I think they fixed much of that honestly last year and made strides again this year. I have roughly 12 yards between 4 hybrid and 5 iron.

I'm loving this post. As someone who took the jump last year you get the same questions and looks from playing partners and people at the range over and over again, but your experience exactly matches mine. The 'adjustment' period was almost zero, its just mental of seeing a PW loft but a 8i length, and not thinking about swinging 'extra' hard for a 4i.

Will be watching this one. On the one hand, it makes sense. and like all other things golf, it will be great for some but not for all. On the other hand, it can't be all upsiode to go to one length, can it?

I'm loving this post. As someone who took the jump last year you get the same questions and looks from playing partners and people at the range over and over again, but your experience exactly matches mine. The 'adjustment' period was almost zero, its just mental of seeing a PW loft but a 8i length, and not thinking about swinging 'extra' hard for a 4i.
So you will continue to play OL for the foreseeable future?

@JB why was a shim needed for dropping to an 8i length?

Great write up, interested to follow along. Very interesting that there wasn’t an adjustment period for you with such a big change. I have been curious about these but always figured it would take a long time to get used to before it really feels comfortable and starts to perform.

How do the wedges perform for you on touch shots in the 50-90 yard range? Any trouble with control with the longer shaft?

I'm definitely following this thread as I believe OL is definitely in my future

I feel the same. I believe that I would /will seriously consider OL in the future.

Back