One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

As a beginner who is still desperately trying to hit the ball with any consistency, the concept of OL really intrigues me. I'm taking lessons again and my instructor has been focusing on my 7i swing, and I'm starting to see some real improvement (the ball doesn't go exactly where or how far I want it to, of course, but at least I'm no longer hitting 3-4 inches behind the ball). I might see if I can find a single OL club (probably used) to practice with and see what it feels like. I am definitely someone who struggles even more with the longer clubs, and right now I'm just looking for consistent contact in my iron game, so OL clubs are definitely on my radar.

Looking forward to following your progress and congrats on the improvement.

Amped up for mine to arrive. Been studying hard on the OL hybrid. How many players in here are bagging the 3 hybrid? My irons and wedges are 36.5”. Do you play the hybrid at same length or get it at standard 37.25? I don’t use the sensors. I’ll most likely stick to a iron style hybrid in the 3 slot, as I’m a hooker with a standard hybrid.

Hybrid is a different animal. I use a stock VL Hybrid, but it’s highly subjective.

Hybrid is a different animal. I use a stock VL Hybrid, but it’s highly subjective.
Different as in how? I’m thinking it’d be lighter weight, I’m a feel player. Would lead tape fix it to one’s liking or just go with conventional? TIA.....

My hybrid is a standard length rogue. I would like to try a OL hybrid if I can find one in LH to hit before I order one, they seem to be a love/ hate club based on reviews I’ve read.

Each and every time I grab the Radspeed OL 6 iron off rack I’m amazed more and more. 190 yard 6 iron carries for this old guy are sweet. From limited testing still waiting on 5 iron to get back from cobra warranty the Radspeed OL seems to be a full club longer than my VL forge tec set.

Got really good striking on the f9's yesterday. Was definitely the best part of the game. Even got the hybrid being a bit better than usual.

I'm nearly ready to give up on the one length wedges though. It's caused a gaping issue and you really pay on thinned shots.

Playing partner yesterday plays OL irons and since no one was behind us I took a couple of minutes to try the 5i and the P and couldn't believe how well I hit both, can see a set in my bag if I can run across a deal. Hit both from what I thought would be about the right yardage to the green, one close and the other on, about all I could ask for.

Quick update with more coming later this week. These have continued to stay in the bag and I haven’t strayed other than testing. Played a Sim Round on Friday and hit them really well. Approach shots are staying in their distance realms, gapping is no issue and comfort has really set in.

I’m continuing to develop with my OL RADSPEEDS. It’s still a learning process on the 5/6i, and it’s mostly mental. Thanks to THP and @tucsoncacti getting yet another set of Cobra OL, I’m going to grab his F8 OL on a sweet deal for my old man, to complete the rest of the badass clubs (top of bag, and bottom of bag)I picked up from him earlier this year... stay tuned for details and results.

I've played about 5 9 hole rounds with the Forged Tec irons and a couple other clubs at the top and bottom of the bag. So far I'm pretty happy with them and the one length is working as advertised. Iron play has been the weakness of my game, and it's not suddenly my strength but I can really see the value of having one swing through most of the bag.

The OL 3 hybrid has definitively beat out the OL utility. I've hit some solid shots off the tee on par 3s, but even moreso it's become kind of a 15th club around the greens. I've hit some shots from scruffy lies to talk in range that would otherwise be a little iffy with the putter or wedge.

I have the 56 MIM wedge bent to 54, and it's been fine. I could probably take or leave the one length in that spot but will probably stick with it. I may pick up a OL SB since I like the visual of the full face grooves. I have a VL 58 degree and plan to stick with that. Bunker and flops shots feel like they'd be uncomfortable with the longer wedge and I don't really see a reason to work to get over that and use OL.

The last thing to settle is what to do between 3 hybrid and 6 iron. I can only have one club there due to the rest of the bag setup. The 5 iron carry distance on Rapsodo has been shorter than it should but seems fine on the course. I'll experiment with the 5 iron vs a 4 utility which could be adjusted to gap better if needed.

I've played about 5 9 hole rounds with the Forged Tec irons and a couple other clubs at the top and bottom of the bag. So far I'm pretty happy with them and the one length is working as advertised. Iron play has been the weakness of my game, and it's not suddenly my strength but I can really see the value of having one swing through most of the bag.

The OL 3 hybrid has definitively beat out the OL utility. I've hit some solid shots off the tee on par 3s, but even moreso it's become kind of a 15th club around the greens. I've hit some shots from scruffy lies to talk in range that would otherwise be a little iffy with the putter or wedge.

I have the 56 MIM wedge bent to 54, and it's been fine. I could probably take or leave the one length in that spot but will probably stick with it. I may pick up a OL SB since I like the visual of the full face grooves. I have a VL 58 degree and plan to stick with that. Bunker and flops shots feel like they'd be uncomfortable with the longer wedge and I don't really see a reason to work to get over that and use OL.

The last thing to settle is what to do between 3 hybrid and 6 iron. I can only have one club there due to the rest of the bag setup. The 5 iron carry distance on Rapsodo has been shorter than it should but seems fine on the course. I'll experiment with the 5 iron vs a 4 utility which could be adjusted to gap better if needed.
Exactly how does the OL 3 hybrid play? Is is light feeling? I usually hook a hybrid off the planet, therefore I prefer a iron style hybrid in the 3 slot but am curious of the 3 hybrid. Any help appreciated on the hybrid playability!

Exactly how does the OL 3 hybrid play? Is is light feeling? I usually hook a hybrid off the planet, therefore I prefer a iron style hybrid in the 3 slot but am curious of the 3 hybrid. Any help appreciated on the hybrid playability!

I have the Speedzone and it felt pretty light with the stock 12g weight and an 80 gram shaft. Ended up getting a 16g weight (which unfortunately is a bit pricey) and it felt a lot better.

Doing some OL hybrid testing tomorrow in the tech studio.

Doing some OL hybrid testing tomorrow in the tech studio.
Oh goody, some idea how it works before Monday please! ;)😛

Need something to push the MC participants who are undecided to take the leap to the OL side...

Need something to push the MC participants who are undecided to take the leap to the OL side...
The hybrid was my only big question mark, all in on the irons. Wedges....just not sure I will attempt them.🤪

The hybrid was my only big question mark, all in on the irons. Wedges....just not sure I will attempt them.🤪
Long irons and hybrid are difficult to adjust to. I hit my Rogue 5h too well to change at this point. If I could find one in LH to actually hit I might take the plunge. I’m a mix of OL and VL, and I don’t mind one bit.

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I have a 20* Super Hybrid with Ventus Blue shaft that I cut to 39” and added an aftermarket weight from Billy Bob’s to bring the swing weight back to D2. It is working great and at just about 1” over my Forged Tec's has been easy to manage. Not sure how it would have worked with a higher torque shaft, fwiw, because the head is now quite heavy. Set at 22*, it has nearly identical flight to my 7W, so I’m going to turn it back down to 20*. Lie angle wasn’t adversely affected, since my dynamic lie is within 1* of neutral.

Wanted to update you on a little hybrid testing. Gapping for me has been pretty darn solid. Only working with the 4 hybrid and it goes the 200 yards I expect out of my 4 hybrid. If it were going in the bag, I would probably go 3 for gapping, since I am hitting the RadSpeed irons incredibly long for my game.

The club as a whole feels a little head heavy, which is to be expected with weight added in there, but I will probably switch it to a shaft closer to my irons to keep the feel right in line with what I am used to.

Overall I liked just about everything about them and do not have any complaints. For those that do not like heady heavy feeling, this might be odd at first, but if you are used to lighter shaft in a hybrid, it is probably completely normal.

Wanted to update you on a little hybrid testing. Gapping for me has been pretty darn solid. Only working with the 4 hybrid and it goes the 200 yards I expect out of my 4 hybrid. If it were going in the bag, I would probably go 3 for gapping, since I am hitting the RadSpeed irons incredibly long for my game.

The club as a whole feels a little head heavy, which is to be expected with weight added in there, but I will probably switch it to a shaft closer to my irons to keep the feel right in line with what I am used to.

Overall I liked just about everything about them and do not have any complaints. For those that do not like heady heavy feeling, this might be odd at first, but if you are used to lighter shaft in a hybrid, it is probably completely normal.
What was the shaft you tried?

Have you got any swings in with the Cobra OL utility iron for any comparison?

Back