One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

Really getting into a groove with these. I have really caught my stride everywhere and I am hitting my 9 around 130 which is a distance I haven't reliably hit a 9 iron in a long time. As the consistency has come the gap between my 9 and PW has started to grow. I may still need to trus the PW a bit because I was worried abut the 9 before and it has caught right up to it's big brothers. I still think I would like something standard length in the 46*ish range. I am smitten with OL in the 5-9 though. I am really enjoying this experiement so far though and it should be really fun to compete with at the Morgan Cup.

Really getting into a groove with these. I have really caught my stride everywhere and I am hitting my 9 around 130 which is a distance I haven't reliably hit a 9 iron in a long time. As the consistency has come the gap between my 9 and PW has started to grow. I may still need to trus the PW a bit because I was worried abut the 9 before and it has caught right up to it's big brothers. I still think I would like something standard length in the 46*ish range. I am smitten with OL in the 5-9 though. I am really enjoying this experiement so far though and it should be really fun to compete with at the Morgan Cup.

Kicking myself for not diving into OL for the Morgan Cup last year. My iron play is better than it ever has been since switching to OL earlier this year.

I'm officially joining the Revolution.

I've been pondering OL clubs for nearly 3 years, and finally decided to take it to the next level. I asked my buddy if I could borrow his Cobra King Forged irons and wedges (I believe they were in the first iteration of OL clubs they made). I've hit 3 buckets of balls and played a few 9 hole rounds up to this point and am very encouraged with how well I'm hitting them. I have not scored well because the lofts are much stronger lofts when compared to the MP-20's I've been playing. I've nuked quite a few greens as I'm still getting used to how far (and they do go far) each of the clubs go.

The first range session I had with the OL clubs was literally amazing. I basically pured the entire bucket beyond a couple of shots with the wedges. Hit 10 or so pure 4 irons in a row, which is something I've never even come close to doing with standard clubs. It was definitely a bit of a "honeymoon" type of thing, because I haven't hit them as good as I did that day. In any case, there is a significant improvement in my ability to hit somewhere near the center of the face only having to focus on one swing.

Half swing pitching and chipping around the green has been a bit different. I don't quite have those shots dialed in as of yet. Spent about 30 minutes on the practice green this evening to work on chipping and I made some definite improvements. It seems to be harder for me to get the chip shots in the air versus my standard wedges. I really have to exaggerate the feeling of flipping the club to get the ball in the air, even with a 60 degree OL wedge. I was also trying to open the club a bit to get the ball in the air with some decent results. On the plus side, I'm making very good and consistent contact when chipping.. just need to work on the trajectory a bit. Has anybody had similar experiences when chipping with the OL wedges?

I've seen enough up to this point to jump in head first. There isn't anywhere near me to test OL clubs, so I ended up ordering a set of Forged Tec OL Irons (5-PW,GW) and is set to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get them out and play some holes with them tomorrow! I'm super excited to see what kind of improvements Cobra has made in the 4 or so years since the Cobra King Forged clubs were made. I also ordered a 4i Utility OL iron which will hopefully become my fairway finder.

I don't have wedges yet, but I do believe I'll want to go all OL in the near future (if anyone is selling a set, send me a PM). Thanks for attending my Ted Talk.

Last edited:
I'm right around even par on par 3s last handful of rounds. If you knew my game a year ago, you would know how insane that stat is. So confident with my irons right now.

I've played a bit of golf with the new Forged Tec OL irons and have been feeling very confident swinging them. I'll post an update with a more detailed analysis of how it's been going when I have a bit more time. I have a 4 Utility coming in the mail today, so it should be fun putting that in play soon!

I had a question concerning the wedge gapping. I'm currently borrowing an older model Cobra OL 56 and 60 and it does seem like there is quite a bit of a gap between the Forged Tec GW and the 56 that I'm using. It seems like the only options Cobra currently offer stock are the 56* and the 60*. From the limited golf that I've played with them, Arccos is saying that I hit the GW 115-120 yards. The upper end of the 56* seems to be about 96 yards.

Has anybody ordered a custom 56 bent 2* stronger in an attempt to fix the gapping. Even with that, I expect a bit of a gap but it would be more manageable. I would guess that I'd do the same thing with the 60 if I decided to go the custom route. Otherwise, the other option is to practice taking some yardage off of the GW. I'm just curious about what everyone is doing about that gap between GW and the 56?

The OL Radspeed SW is 54 deg.

You can custom order individual irons from them so can have that bent to whatever loft you need.

Well, I got a chance to get my new Cobra SpeedZone OL’s out to the range this morning and I was impressed. I carry a Voice Caddie SC100 launch monitor with me to gain a little more data than just how they feel in my hand, throughout my swing, and impact. My distances with 5-7 were pretty much spot on than with my variable length SpeedZone’s. 8-GW will take some work to get used to mentally. My distances were long and short at times but it was wasn’t the fault of the clubs. I’ve got a long work week ahead of me so it’ll be next weekend before I can get back out to the range to work on the short irons, but I’m very happy with the consistency in dispersion with the irons. I wasn’t very impressed with the distances with the 19* and 21* hybrids. I’ll keep the 19* in the bag, but I hit my 5 iron straighter than the 21* hybrid with the same distance.

Overall, I was happy enough with my range session that I’m going to commit to the One Length’s.

Finally getting the feel of these. I am hitting a ton of really good shots right now with these irons. The combo of the big and very forgiving RADSPEED face and the same swing every club I am really hitting a lot of high flying good distance iron shots. I hit several GIR's today on a course with tiny greens. I think OL works wonderfully for full swings, not sold on the wedge game though. I am replacing the OL GW with a MIM Tour regular length PW bent to 46*, but right now my game is in really good shape for the Morgan Cup.

Mine are in the bag for multiple rounds at Whistling Straits this week!

Went in for my first fitting. My intent was to focus on driver/woods/hybrid (maybe)/putter. Early on the fitter went on a 10-minute rant about how one-length is a joke/gimmick and that unless you're using all One-Length clubs, including for your driver, you're wasting your time.

It was very disappointing listening to him and it definitely affected my mindset which bled into not swinging well. I understand that one length can be divisive and that, especially as a fitter, you may not be a fan. But there's plenty of evidence that shows it can be beneficial for some people and the technology has made huge strides the last few years. In a profession where someone should be using data to formulate their opinions, it seems very close minded.

There were other issues I had with his methodology and his opinions, but his One Length rant set the tone for the rest of the session.

I thought I did enough due-diligence before choosing them, but apparently not. As a first time fitting experience it will unfortunately make me think twice about going again anytime soon. :(

It sucks that your fitting experience was not a good one. I'm a recent convert and I can tell you that gimmicky or not, the results, at least for me, speak for themselves.

I wasn't having a great year with my irons, and I had tried multiple sets, covering multiple types of irons and my GIRs percentage was about 35%. Not good. In the few weeks that I've had the radspeeds my GIR is over 50% (53.5%). And my misses are now hole high which means I'm getting up and down more often as well.

I may not stick with OL only because I have a wandering eye and there are so many new irons I want to try but these will not be buried in the basement. They will be in the garage ready to go because they are so much fun to hit and I'm hitting them so well.

Went in for my first fitting. My intent was to focus on driver/woods/hybrid (maybe)/putter. Early on the fitter went on a 10-minute rant about how one-length is a joke/gimmick and that unless you're using all One-Length clubs, including for your driver, you're wasting your time.

It was very disappointing listening to him and it definitely affected my mindset which bled into not swinging well. I understand that one length can be divisive and that, especially as a fitter, you may not be a fan. But there's plenty of evidence that shows it can be beneficial for some people and the technology has made huge strides the last few years. In a profession where someone should be using data to formulate their opinions, it seems very close minded.

There were other issues I had with his methodology and his opinions, but his One Length rant set the tone for the rest of the session.

I thought I did enough due-diligence before choosing them, but apparently not. As a first time fitting experience it will unfortunately make me think twice about going again anytime soon. :(
Sorry you had a poor experience. Golf is a mental game - the fitters opinion definitely affected the process and your experience and you should go somewhere else if you are curious about getting fit for OL. Where did you go out of curiosity?

I went to two bad One Length fittings before I walked into a Golf Galaxy and got into a conversation with a fitter about One Length irons. He didn’t have a large selection of shafts, but I hit the stock graphite shaft so well that another fitter and a store associate were watching me hit. During the session, the associate asked what I was hitting and we told her, Cobra SpeedZone One Length’s. She then asked to be fitted into them as well. She loved the concept. Anyone can hit these clubs, but you have to buy in mentally. Once you get over that hurdle, it’s easier to work on improving your game.

I completely agree with the above. I am way more confident now with my Radspeed OL than I have ever been before.
I just completely bought in to the concept and have stuck with it and now am truly disappointed if I miss a green with a 7-GW(even I miss a lot of them).
Have also seen that I very few bad fat or dropkicked iron shots now.
If only I could stop giving up 5-6 strokes off the tee each round.

Where did you go out of curiosity?

I’m going to keep it to myself for now. I’ll email them to share my thoughts on the experience. If they are disrespectful in their response, then I’ll share.

Also, I realize I wasn’t clear in my first post. I already own a set of Speedzone OL that I am happy with.That’s why I was surprised he went on such a rant.

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad fitter who wants to fit people into what he arrogantly thinks people should be playing, and not what he sees the best results from.

A good fitter will fit the best clubs/shafts that the golfer wants and feels best with. Anyone telling you not to play a certain brand or length should be avoided like the plague IMO.

I went into my fitting having hit OL before and told the fitter I really liked them and the concept. He was very open to the idea and gave me various VL to try and then the OL Radspeeds. He said I probably hit the Apex DCB the best after the Radspeeds but I loved hitting the longer irons in OL so he fit me for those. And I even added a hybrid too so he got a good sale out of the OLs that day!

For those of you that are using standard length wedges with your one length irons, what lofts did you find that blended best for you?

For those of you that are using standard length wedges with your one length irons, what lofts did you find that blended best for you?

I go from a OL set gap wedge (49*) to a 54* VL wedge. gaps out about 15 yards.

Two days using RADSPEED OL irons at Whistling Straits at Shaft Up and I am still going strong. No issue with gapping and hitting the numbers as expected. Day 1 I struggled with every club in the bag on the back 9, but day 2 was pure and I could not be happier with what is going on. There is a definite mental positivity in my head knowing that it doesn't matter the iron, just grab and go.

One thing I have noticed is that when you are struggling through a swing change, one length is helpful. I can work on an iron swing at the range or into a net with any iron. I feel confident that if I get this change down, all of my irons will be better. I honestly couldn’t say that before with VL. When I had a poor strike I was always wondering if it was ball position.

My Radspeed OL Gap wedge is 48° then I go to 52°, 56° and,60° Snakebite VL wedges.

Catching a stride here with these the last 4 weeks. Getting really crisp iron play from every club in the bag. I am also starting to stretch on distance as well. I am being told by Arccos to pull the 7 iron at 150 which is about 15 yards further than I would have felt super comfortable pulling a 7 before. 5 weeks ago I would have leaned not sticking with OL, but that is quickly changing over the last week or 2. Would love to answer some questions now that I am starting to figure this out.

So I've spent quite a bit of time with my Forged Tec OL irons at this point and figured I'd give a bit of an update.

Anecdotally, I feel like I'm hitting them really well. I'm really starting to feel comfortable with all of the irons. I haven't scored particularly well because I'm pretty horrible with my 3W/D at the moment (spent too much time with the irons as of lately.. the driver hasn't been getting enough love :ROFLMAO:). Originally, I was struggling a bit with swings that were less than full (40-80 yards) but I'm starting to get more comfortable with those at this point.

Chipping has been a bit of a learning curve, though Arccos stats say that I'm not any worse than I was with my standard wedges. I'm just not a great short game player. Will require some dedicated practice to improve regardless of wedge length.

Gapping - I'm still working out my gapping but seemingly my GW - 5 iron gaps relatively well. While I am collecting Arccos club data, the course I normally play is very hilly and there are certain downhill holes where I play the same club which skews the data. It will take a while for that to normalize. I do have a bit of a gap between the OL 56* wedge that I'm borrowing and my GW, but I ordered a Snakebite OL 56* wedge bent 2* strong to minimize the gapping problem on the low side. I also got bought a OL Snakebite 60* wedge. Those should be here later this week so I'll make sure to report back on my findings with those.

I also got a utility Forged Tec OL 4i for a fairway finder. It has definitely been easy to hit and reliable, but I'm still not sure if it is gapping properly with the 5i. Time will tell on that. I have it lofted it down to the lowest setting (I think it is originally a 22.5 degree, and I have it lofted down to 21 if I recall correctly). I don't know if it is designed to gap with the Forged Tec 5i at the standard loft setting, but the loft is very similar between the two without lofting down. I don't currently have access to a launch monitor so it is a bit difficult to figure out what loft I should have it set at. Does anybody else have thoughts on this?

Here is how things currently gap. I hit the 8iron downhill on two par 3's at my home course so these numbers are a bit skewed. On level ground, it seems to be a 160-165 club. For whatever reason, I really haven't hit the 9 iron much and when I do, its on a severely uphill shot on one of the holes at my course or into the wind. I don't currently know what distance the 9 iron goes on level ground under normal conditions. It will just take time to figure these things out.

1629169418005.png

I did hit a OL Radspeed 4h (they didn't have the 3 hybrid head). I would need a 3h to replace my standard length Epic hybrid if it were to make it into the bag. Based on the numbers I was getting from the 4h, I do not believe I'll be able to get what I need from the OL hybrid (which is very unfortunate because I really like having my clubs be the same length).

Maybe at some point I'll get more into my GIR percentages and compare them to my previous set of VL clubs. I don't have the energy for that right now but I'll do it soon. I did hit 50% GIR during my last round out with them which is really good for me. All in all, I'm very happy to have joined the revolution and feel like I'm getting better and more consistent each time I play!

I have the set Radspeed GW, then go to my 54* and 60*. I can easily take some yardage off the GW if I’m at a yardage my 54* won’t reach.

I have the set Radspeed GW, then go to my 54* and 60*. I can easily take some yardage off the GW if I’m at a yardage my 54* won’t reach.
@Shepx13 I am exactly the same with my OL Forged Tec. I have the set GW and then 54 and 60 degree standard wedges and like that setup for gapping really well.

Back