One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

Do you chip and pitch with the GW and 56? If so how do they perform? Are you using RADSPEED GW?
Yes I do. Most of my around the green work where I play features elevated greens, so the 62 degree gets a workout. But for standard chipping, the 56 works great.

I have the F9 One length, with the stock shaft (Fujikura ATMOS 7 ONE Length). I didn't get fitted for it. The biggest downside of one length is that I haven't found a local shop that can fit for one length. I'm trying to call more places, since I'm planning on upgrading the f9's to the forged tec's this season.

The one length hybrid just feels really awkward to hold and I've never developed the confidence with it, so I probably grip it a bit tighter. Sometimes it connects really well, and it gets incredible loft & is dead straight. I should probably film my swing with it, compared to my regular irons to get a sense of where it's going wrong.

Yeah it does take some getting used to the length, I have not gotten fitted either but did some self fitting on my recent addition and grabbed a higher launching shaft as I noticed my ball flight wasn't quite high enough with my f8 ol. I also went a 1/4 inch long on my most recent one. Not enough to really make a difference, but helps a little if you are struggling with the length. At least in the sim, I am almost 10-15 yards longer with the new club, which has filled in my gaps much better from the 5i to my standard 3 hybrid.

Let's talk wedges. What are some of you who have made the transition doing with your wedges? What are those who are considering this transition thinking about doing with your wedges? I am interested in all thoughts really around this topic. I am not sure I want a 7 iron length wedge, but maybe I do want my wedges to all be the same length?

My GW (48*) is OL-F9

My SW (56*) is the King OL

I am finding I have a pretty decent gap between the two. I am debating on either finding a F9 OL set SW which is 54*, and then seeing if my King OL SW can be bent to 58* or.....maybe getting a VL Cobra 52* wedge, which is 1.5 inches shorter. Decisions decisions, although I am finding it hard to locate a F9 set SW.

Do you chip and pitch with the GW and 56? If so how do they perform? Are you using RADSPEED GW?

I love chipping with my F9 GW. And depending on yardage, I'll even hit a 75-85yd bump and run with my PW

My GW (48*) is OL-F9

My SW (56*) is the King OL

I am finding I have a pretty decent gap between the two. I am debating on either finding a F9 OL set SW which is 54*, and then seeing if my King OL SW can be bent to 58* or.....maybe getting a VL Cobra 52* wedge, which is 1.5 inches shorter. Decisions decisions, although I am finding it hard to locate a F9 set SW.
Stuff like set SW's are always hard to find after the fact. I am currently leaning VL wedges but maybe getting them all the length and lie of my current PW which I love.

I was at a PGATSS today getting a SM8 wedge, and just looking and I picked up the King Forged Tec OL and really surprised by the way they felt and looked at address. I was going to try it out but the bays were full and I didn't want to wait, but are there considered players clubs or GI clubs?

Stuff like set SW's are always hard to find after the fact. I am currently leaning VL wedges but maybe getting them all the length and lie of my current PW which I love.
I started with the OL GW and 2 variable wedges. I have settled on 3 Cobra MiM wedges at 48/53/57 degrees that are the same length as each other but shorter than OL. I use my 48 and 53 around the greens more than the 57 which I use mostly from bunkers. I was having trouble since I was mostly using the 48 and 53 around the greens and one was longer than the other. There were two reasons I did what I did at the time: Jose said if I was comfortable with my wedges to maybe stick with variable and also availability. OL wedges were (are?) only available at 56/60 degrees and, if I recall correctly, one of them was backordered when I placed my club order. The forged tec OL stops at the GW (49 degrees) and I felt I needed something in between the GW and OL 56 degrees.

If I ever do another set, I think I will try JB's setup with the entire set of OL a little shorter than 7i length and maybe carry one shorter specialty wedge for bunkers and flop shots.

Let's talk wedges. What are some of you who have made the transition doing with your wedges? What are those who are considering this transition thinking about doing with your wedges? I am interested in all thoughts really around this topic. I am not sure I want a 7 iron length wedge, but maybe I do want my wedges to all be the same length?
My thought is that if I go OL, I'm going all the way down to GW. I'll keep my VL 54° and 58°.

My thought is that if I go OL, I'm going all the way down to GW. I'll keep my VL 54° and 58°.
Thats exactly what I have done. No issues

Hitting the course a week from yesterday with my set playing and cannot wait to get them out there.

Hitting the course a week from yesterday with my set playing and cannot wait to get them out there.
Can't wait to hear about it. I am really excited to give this a go.

Had trouble staying down on long irons all day yesterday from trying to swing it like a 6i. Which was one of my big concerns initially.
Did get the radspeed 5i in play hit some good shots from ~200 out, plenty of height. 👍

Had trouble staying down on long irons all day yesterday from trying to swing it like a 6i. Which was one of my big concerns initially.
Did get the radspeed 5i in play hit some good shots from ~200 out, plenty of height. 👍

How different is the ball flight between the Forged Tec and RadSpeed 5 irons?

How different is the ball flight between the Forged Tec and RadSpeed 5 irons?
So I've hit
FT VL 4-5-6
FT OL 6
RS OL 5
SZ VL 4

they are all pretty mid-high launching compared other things ive played. Need some more time with all the OL stuff but the only one drastically different is the SZ 4i. that thing goes to the moon.

Anyone compared RADSPEED to FT One Length? Given 2 months to ponder Cobra equipment and I am pondering everything.

Anyone compared RADSPEED to FT One Length? Given 2 months to ponder Cobra equipment and I am pondering everything.
Played a set of the forge tecs while in Arizona. I have a Radspeed 5 & 6 iron to experiment with. I prefer the forge tec but a lot of that is that’s what I play but in variable length. I do believe Radspeed is both longer and more forgiving.

@JB any thoughts on this one?

@JB any thoughts on this one?

Im the wrong person to ask honestly. I have played the Forged TEC in Variable length. Played them for a full year and enjoyed them a lot. Switched to RADSPEED in One Length and really enjoying them so far. I did not spend a ton of time with the FT in One Length though. A little bit, but not enough to give a full comparison, especially in short irons. I think if someone wants to flight the ball a bit, the Forged TEC offers a bit easier path to do so. Out of that, the RADSPEED work really well at what they are designed to do.

I tried the Radspeed One lengths at a box store this weekend. Had no problems at all with the pitching wedge and the seven iron. I carried the wedge 125, and the 7 iron 155 to 160. But with the 5 iron, I couldn't seem to get it into the air. Carry was basically identical to the 5 iron. This was the same even when I was simply handed the clubs and didn't know which I was hitting. We tried the variable length 5 iron, and I got 10 more yards carry out of it. The total distance on the OL seemed ok, about 175 to 180, but 35 yards of that was roll. Also, the spin on all the clubs was really low, like in the 3K range for the 7 iron.

I just started playing in August, and just recently broke 90 with my beginner clubs (Callaway Strata). I like the idea of one length, and would love to try or be fitted for the Wishon clubs, but the only fitter nearby is not seeing anyone at all during the pandemic.

I've got a couple of questions on this: 1) Is what I saw with the Radspeed atypical? The guy in the store said I might get different results on grass, especially for the spin. And said that it would get better as I learned to compress the ball more (which seems reasonable). 2) Would it make a difference if I had had the graphite shafts? I've been to a couple of fitting days. Ping recommended the G425s with Dynamic Gold 105 regular. Callaway recommended Big Bertha G21 with the KBS CT80 stiff.

Not sure what to do at this point, but I do think that one length would have a lot to offer for me. I do better on the course now when I limit myself to only 4-5 clubs.

I've got a couple of questions on this: 1) Is what I saw with the Radspeed atypical? The guy in the store said I might get different results on grass, especially for the spin. And said that it would get better as I learned to compress the ball more (which seems reasonable). 2) Would it make a difference if I had had the graphite shafts? I've been to a couple of fitting days. Ping recommended the G425s with Dynamic Gold 105 regular. Callaway recommended Big Bertha G21 with the KBS CT80 stiff.

Not sure what to do at this point, but I do think that one length would have a lot to offer for me. I do better on the course now when I limit myself to only 4-5 clubs.

For a few of the early years of releases the lower lofted irons were harder to elevate. I haven’t personally seen that issue with the RADSpeed. While what the store said is not necessarily untrue from a pure technical sense, there is a lot more to it than that.

Graphite by design doesn’t make a club launch Higher, it can but so can steel. Personally what we have found is a ball change could as well. Lower lofts reduce spin, which in turn can reduce launch. Even with weight deep and low.

Back