Orlando area courses

vdubtx

MC Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Will be in Orlando the week between Christmas and New Years. Will be taking clubs and would like to know if there are any can't miss courses that I should play in theOrlando area. We are doing an Airbnb in Kissimee, but open to any courses in the area.

After seeing the amazing pictures of the most recent THP Experience, I thought about taking a drive up to Hammock Beach to play, not sure I will be able to swing that.

Hammock is going to be over 90 minutes away from where you are, so that might not work.

Lots of really good resort Courses in that area though. I haven’t spent much time there thr last year or so, but my list usually starts with Waldorf.

Couple threads on here recently as folks have been in the area. You have Bay Hill, Orange County National (Crooked Cat & Panther Lake), & some of the Disney course, not sure if they require a reservation at a Disney property.

Couple threads on here recently as folks have been in the area. You have Bay Hill, Orange County National (Crooked Cat & Panther Lake), & some of the Disney course, not sure if they require a reservation at a Disney property.

Disney courses, no. They want your money, of course they’re open to the publix haha.

Waldorf Astoria
Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes
Shingle Creek
Celebration
Championsgate Country Club (not the omni ones)

Start with those five. But being in your specific area and without driving too far around, those would be where I would go

Streamsong is 2hrs away if you are looking for a day trip

In no particular order and some different values...

ChampionsGate CC
Omni ChampionsGate
Southern Dunes
Highlands Reserve
Orange County National
Celebration
Falcons Fire
Providence

Lots to pick from!

In no particular order and some different values...

ChampionsGate CC
Omni ChampionsGate
Southern Dunes
Highlands Reserve
Orange County National
Celebration
Falcons Fire
Providence

Lots to pick from!

I "almost" had a crazy experience at Southern Dunes, course was in great shape and played great but.. me and my brother in law were playing there a like 6-7 years ago and the course was empty. The course winds through a neighborhood and at one point we were BSing in not paying attention and all of a sudden we are lost driving down the street in the golf cart(didn't seem that odd to us because we were staying with family at the Villages). We finally see someone outside of their house and they direct us back to the course. We probably lost about 15 minutes. With that said we get back to the clubhouse after our round and the cart attendant says did you guys see Arnold Palmer he just left a few minutes ago... Needless to say we miss a random chance to meet Arnold Palmer because we are idiots. No idea what he was doing there but we talked to a few people and it was true.

To add to the post my favorites are:

Orange County National; play 36 every time we go and try to get in the Tooth course as well.
Ritz (if you go eat at the Highball and Harvest I went there 3 times last time I was in Orlando for cocktails, apps and once for dinner) The Last Wish is my favorite cocktail ever!
Waldorf
Celebration
Grand Cypress (I think the New Course is still open)
Bella Collina (Not sure if its private now but what a great experience if you can get on, nothing like it in Florida that I have played)

But lots of great course really have never been disappointed.

Last edited:
New at Grand Cypress is open and a ton of fun to play....
After that I would just load up golfnow hot deals and pick one last minute if you are playing solo. Many of the courses mentioned previously are available to play and at good deals.

Orange County National (always bring friends from out of town here)
Flacons Fire, have not played in a while but was usually always nice
Waldrof is a beautiful course. Can be played with 30k Hilton points which IMO is a better deal then cash.

I live north of town by about (40min) and usually play LPGA which is always in great condition. Recommend the Jones course there as well.

I "almost" had a crazy experience at Southern Dunes, course was in great shape and played great but.. me and my brother in law were playing there a like 6-7 years ago and the course was empty. The course winds through a neighborhood and at one point we were BSing in not paying attention and all of a sudden we are lost driving down the street in the golf cart(didn't seem that odd to us because we were staying with family at the Villages). We finally see someone outside of their house and they direct us back to the course. We probably lost about 15 minutes. With that said we get back to the clubhouse after our round and the cart attendant says did you guys see Arnold Palmer he just left a few minutes ago... Needless to say we miss a random chance to meet Arnold Palmer because we are idiots. No idea what he was doing there but we talked to a few people and it was true.

To add to the post my favorites are:

Orange County National; play 36 every time we go and try to get in the Tooth course as well.
Ritz (if you go eat at the Highball and Harvest I went there 3 times last time I was in Orlando for cocktails, apps and once for dinner) The Last Wish is my favorite cocktail ever!
Waldorf
Celebration
Grand Cypress (I think the New Course is still open)
Bella Collina (Not sure if its private now but what a great experience if you can get on, nothing like it in Florida that I have played)

But lots of great course really have never been disappointed.

Dern! That would have been awesome to see Palmer

in no particular order

championsgate country club - usually in good shape. somewhat benign layout.

celebration golf club - usually in a bit better shape. a little tricky layout with lots of water.

shingle creek - usually in even better shape. fun layout.

orange county national - when both courses are at their best they rival most anything in orlando. rounds can get a little long in the tooth (that’s a good pun hehe)

bella collina - usually in immaculate shape. but hard. clubhouse is stunning.

to avoid:
- any disney course. disney does so many things well. golf is not one of them.

- metro west. aka metro worst. i don’t care good the rate is. it’s still overpriced.

- mystic dunes. in fairness i haven’t been there in a long time, but they let it go to the dogs and i swore it off.

Just played Southern Dunes on Sunday and Mystic Dunes today. Southern Dunes was great and in pretty good shape. The greens were rockin and rolling about 9-10 on the stimp. Seemed like putts would roll out forever. I managed a birdie on the front on a par 3 and stuck it close on 16 for another birdie on the back. I’m doing seaplane training Tuesday with a check ride on Wednesday. If I get done early enough Wednesday I might head back to Souther Dunes for another 18. I really like this course. It’s WISIWIG, which I think is smart for a golf course layout. I’d rate it a 4.5.

Mystic Dunes was a bit of a disappointment. They have some interesting holes and the greens have a lot of slopes and undulations. 2 pars have carries over water. The course is going through some renovation and it’s going to take another growing season for it to come back in assuming they do it correctly. There a lot of blind holes and shots, so local knowledge is important. There are miles between holes, so walking is impossible. It’s a challenging track, and, if they sped up the greens, putting would be crazy. In its current condition it’s a 3, but it could be a 4.

Just played Southern Dunes on Sunday and Mystic Dunes today. Southern Dunes was great and in pretty good shape. The greens were rockin and rolling about 9-10 on the stimp. Seemed like putts would roll out forever. I managed a birdie on the front on a par 3 and stuck it close on 16 for another birdie on the back. I’m doing seaplane training Tuesday with a check ride on Wednesday. If I get done early enough Wednesday I might head back to Souther Dunes for another 18. I really like this course. It’s WISIWIG, which I think is smart for a golf course layout. I’d rate it a 4.5.

Mystic Dunes was a bit of a disappointment. They have some interesting holes and the greens have a lot of slopes and undulations. 2 pars have carries over water. The course is going through some renovation and it’s going to take another growing season for it to come back in assuming they do it correctly. There a lot of blind holes and shots, so local knowledge is important. There are miles between holes, so walking is impossible. It’s a challenging track, and, if they sped up the greens, putting would be crazy. In its current condition it’s a 3, but it could be a 4.
Mystic has been rough for a while, but I do appreciate them deciding to fix it up a bit. The layout is nice though, very challenging when you don’t know how much you can and can’t cut off.

When I worked for Disney I played and practiced there everyday. Nice but expensive for common folk everyday. A nice affordable course is Celebration CC

When I worked for Disney I played and practiced there everyday. Nice but expensive for common folk everyday. A nice affordable course is Celebration CC
I played there a long time ago.

mystic dunes is goofy. but southern dunes is great!

celebration is far better than the disney courses now. although disney is renovating their courses. i think they might be open again.

celebration is far better than the disney courses now. although disney is renovating their courses. i think they might be open again.
Renovating them again? They just did a few years ago I thought.

Celebration beats Magnolia and Palm. LBV, I mean… some holes can hold up head to head. I do like the front 9 of Celebration, it’s solid.

Renovating them again? They just did a few years ago I thought.

Celebration beats Magnolia and Palm. LBV, I mean… some holes can hold up head to head. I do like the front 9 of Celebration, it’s solid.
My favorite Disney course was Osprey Ridge. I think it’s gone now.
mystic dunes is goofy. but southern dunes is great!
If I get to play again Wednesday afternoon, I’ll play Southern Dunes again. Great track.

My favorite Disney course was Osprey Ridge. I think it’s gone now.

If I get to play again Wednesday afternoon, I’ll play Southern Dunes again. Great track.
Osprey Ridge, they merged them into 18 and now it’s Tranquilo

This is my favorite Orlando course. It’s always in good shape and priced well. Shingle Creek is a close second.

I was never overly impressed with Orlando courses. They all seem to run together to me. They are all nice but there isn’t a single one that I would consider a must play.

This is my favorite Orlando course. It’s always in good shape and priced well. Shingle Creek is a close second.

I was never overly impressed with Orlando courses. They all seem to run together to me. They are all nice but there isn’t a single one that I would consider a must play.
Shingle is a solid. Waldorf is nice but pricy, as is Grande Lakes (no way worth what they charge)

The new course was a good track, I never had a bad time on that one

Shingle is a solid. Waldorf is nice but pricy, as is Grande Lakes (no way worth what they charge)

The new course was a good track, I never had a bad time on that one
I forgot about new course. It’s definitely the best of the Grand Cypress’s courses IMHO.

I also suffer from a condition called Swamp Ass, which is part of the reason I don’t enjoy the Orlando Courses as much as I should.

I forgot about new course. It’s definitely the best of the Grand Cypress’s courses IMHO.

I also suffer from a condition called Swamp Ass, which is part of the reason I don’t enjoy the Orlando Courses as much as I should.
It’s a contagious condition, it’s not just you.

The six foot rule isn’t always a bad thing during all of that haha

It was 65 degrees - aka ‘dead of winter’

Back