Other than score, what is the most important stat to you in analyzing your game?

Putting for me. I have days where I seemingly make everything and days where nothing goes in. My score can vary greatly depending on putting

Title says it. For me, it is GIR, with number of putts being a close second.
I'm in accord with you, GIR and then putts.

penalty shots
3 putts

Would you rather be on the green putting from 53 feet or on the fringe, just off the green for an easy up and down with potential hole out?
This exactly, I'd rather get up and down right off the fringe with chance at birdie than have a very long putt with 3 jacks in play! I guess my important stats are scrambling, penalties, putting, then fairways.

Short game. Up and down pct. proximity to hole inside 100 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for me it is fairways...can't score playing from the trees. then GIR and then putts

# of putts.

The same .... GIR & putts. Along with GIR, I would go with "Proximity to Hole" because if you're not close, your putting averages will be higher most likely & you're not going to score very well. At least with me, I have to hit it fairly close to the hole in order to score well. Since my putting isn't the best part of my game, I have to rely on my short game to save par a lot of times.

proximity to hole and good drives as a non high level stat. (FIR + GIR when missing fairway)

I tend to look at FIR. But I have a slightly different take. As long as I have a clear shot after my drive I consider it a fairway because I tend to score best when I keep driver in play. Close second for me is putts.

For me, it's GIR, FIR, and then how many 3 putts. The total number of putts, for me, is usually relative to how close I hit the ball to the hole, and since I don't have that stat in my arsenal, I go with how many 3 putts did I have. If I didn't have any, that's a good round of putting for me, because with my game I'll usually have all sorts of putts, distance wise. If I can get long putts close, and convert the 2nd putt, then I'm putting well.

My confidence and scores are driven by the FIR, so I almost chose that, but I think a good tee game coupled with a good iron/wedge game, gives you your GIR, and tell a lot about how you are playing overall. That's why I look at that. I can't have one part missing, or I won't score well.
Very similar for me. My Tee game is the weakest part of my game. FIR/penalties off the tee are my killer. For putting I am close to a 2 putt/hole player. so reducing/eliminating 3 putts is the indicator of my putting. I would say GIR is top, but I don't have enough of them to really be a useful stat (yet).

Very similar for me. My Tee game is the weakest part of my game. FIR/penalties off the tee are my killer. For putting I am close to a 2 putt/hole player. so reducing/eliminating 3 putts is the indicator of my putting. I would say GIR is top, but I don't have enough of them to really be a useful stat (yet).
That day you see your GIR go up will be a good round! Best of luck!

Putts for me - you can calculate GIR using your putts too, so it's usually the only stat I keep besides score.

GIR is probably the most important for improving your overall score though - unless you're better at chipping than putting :censored:

If I’m golfing with @Hamfist , BAC?

Most of the rest of the time keeping it in play off the tee is when I’ll score decent. I currently don’t have any areas of my game that are what I would consider “good” but it’s damn hard to score when you’re hitting your 3rd shot from the tee, or your 4th where you wish you’d have hit the first one. Most of the year when I scored ok I didn’t have penalties and my short game has been pretty solid. Not a ton of great shots but very few flubbed chips and very few 3 putts. Most chips were inside 6’ or so so I at least had a chance.

Most of the courses I play FIR differs very little from rough as long as I have a clean shot at the green. It’s not very penal and I hit the ball so high it doesn’t impact my ability to hold a green.

One course is even nice enough to designate the fescue as “wildlife refuge area” and you get a free drop at point of entry. Which is nice as you’re only about 50% to even find it in there and likely to be stuck in there for 10 swipes as you’ll just bury it deeper until you’ve machete’d all the fescue down so you can get the club on the ball.

I'm not a statistics & numbers guy. If you have played the game long enough, then you know right away of what is working and what is not.

If I were a numbers guy, I would place fairways as my most important stat because it is where most holes fall apart................ off the teeing area.

GIR ⛳
*when your first putt is for birdie = lower score
*when your first putt is for par (or worse) = higher score

Penalty shots off the tee box and GIR for me. Having chances for birdies can help offset the bogies.

If I had to pick one for me I guess it would be penalties because how I perform off the tee dictates the rest of the round for me.

I keep track of score, fairways hit, GIRs, putts, and penalties.

I would say for me it is penalties and then putting. There were some rounds this year that would have had me break 80 if I didn't have a penalty or 2. Also while my putting has improved this season there is definitely more room for improvement, I did drastically cut down on my 3 putts this year which helped my scores.

Back