Over-hyped Courses (and Better Alternatives)

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
Here's how this works. Pick a course that is overrated, or even if not overrated, maybe the course is over-hyped or just too expensive for what it is. Then, pick a course within 50 miles of that course that is a better alternative.

For example, and starting in my home state of Washington:

Chambers Bay - University Place, WA. Fantastic course and a blast to play. (Far different than what was seen on TV for the U.S. Open.) I don't think, however, that it is worth $180 a round or whatever they're charging right now.

A better alternative:

Gold Mountain Golf Club, Olympic Course - Bremerton, WA (30.5 miles away). Before Chambers Bay was built, Gold Mountain was considered the best course in Washington. A great track and a prime example of Northwest golf.* All for $50 with cart. Great value.

* Sahalee Country Club is the best example of NW golf. If you can get on Sahalee, a private course, do it in a heartbeat.

Pauite in Vegas. Have played both sun and mountain tracks. Found both similar and lacking any substance. For the price I paid($115) was disappointed and had to get my clubs from my car to the clubhouse on my own.........

Better alternative. Mountain falls in Pahrump, NV. Mid March with a cart $40 and $2 beers on the course. Great track, no two holes are the same. 2 completely different 9's. And they meet you at your car and drive you to the clubhouse. If you don't mind the drive(60 mins) you will be rewarded.

Champions Gate in Orlando. Neither course is special, but the National is some of the more uninspired golf in the area.

Southern Dunes is 15 minutes away and is a FAR superior golf course. One of the better in the area, for similar or less money than Champions Gate

If looking for the best bang for the buck, that is Highland Reserve. It's 10 minutes away and is a really fun course that is usually in very good shape for 1/3 the price.

Overrated: TPC Deere Run. Terrible layout and not worth the 120$ they now charge for a round.

Alternative: 1 hour south is probably the best course in Iowa at about half the price of Deere Run in Burlington Iowa called spirit hollow.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Overrated - TPC Scottsdale Stadium. It's awesome to play when the stadium is up but other than that it's not very memorable for $300+ per round before the forcaddie.

Personally I'll take TPC Scottsdale Champions course - half the price and in as good of condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPC Sawgrass- Players Course is famous for its 17th hole and hosting the Players Championship.

The other course at TPC Sawgrass, the Valley Course, is a much better and more enjoyable course to play according to everyone I know that has played both of them.

Cool idea for a thread. This was my immediate thought (seriously):

Chambers Bay - University Place, WA. After the US open it is kind of a must play / bucket list type course. Once. However, I don't think it is worth $180 a round or whatever they're charging right now.

A better alternative:

Gold Mountain Golf Club, Olympic Course - Bremerton, WA (30.5 miles away). A great track and a prime example of Northwest golf.* All for $50 with cart. Great value.

Here's how this works. Pick a course that is overrated, or even if not overrated, maybe the course is over-hyped or just too expensive for what it is. Then, pick a course within 50 miles of that course that is a better alternative.

For example, and starting in my home state of Washington:

Chambers Bay - University Place, WA. Fantastic course and a blast to play. (Far different than what was seen on TV for the U.S. Open.) I don't think, however, that it is worth $180 a round or whatever they're charging right now.

A better alternative:

Gold Mountain Golf Club, Olympic Course - Bremerton, WA (30.5 miles away). Before Chambers Bay was built, Gold Mountain was considered the best course in Washington. A great track and a prime example of Northwest golf.* All for $50 with cart. Great value.

* Sahalee Country Club is the best example of NW golf. If you can get on Sahalee, a private course, do it in a heartbeat.

Played both Chambers and Sahallee this summer. Both unique and both worth it.

Champions Gate in Orlando. Neither course is special, but the National is some of the more uninspired golf in the area.

Southern Dunes is 15 minutes away and is a FAR superior golf course. One of the better in the area, for similar or less money than Champions Gate

If looking for the best bang for the buck, that is Highland Reserve. It's 10 minutes away and is a really fun course that is usually in very good shape for 1/3 the price.

Totally agree, although The Gate has a special place for me since I was a meme er for 7 years

Overrated - TPC Scottsdale Stadium. It's awesome to play when the stadium is up but other than that it's not very memorable for $300+ per round before the forcaddie.

Personally I'll take TPC Scottsdale Champions course - half the price and in as good of condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. It took me a moment to remember which course was the Stadium course and to even remember if I've played it. I have. Nice, but not $300 nice IMO.

Overrated: Trump LA. Trump's changes to the course from when it was called Ocean Trails and one of Dye's more challenging designs were all for the worse and at a bigger green fee. The views are awesome and staff terrific, but cramped fairways and weird gimmicks confuse what should be a slam dunk considering the area.

A better alternative: Los Verdes, a Bell design with great ocean views, a better design at a bargain. Yes the rounds can get long, but staring at the ocean between shots isn't that bad. Also, Terranea, a great par 3 course with the same views as Trump.

Back