NEWS OWGR Says No to LIV Golf

Whats really ironic, is I think half of the people on this thread don't even care for LIV at all. The no points and the seeming response of "well, there's nothing we can figure out here", is just ridiculous.

down with this..

Why? On what basis?
-LIV has good golfers
-LIV has some not so good, not really competitive golfers. That were invited in, not having to 'play for their place'. Is, to my knowledge, the only org with this structure.
-the good golfers compete against the bad golfers, and are to earn world points off this? Sure, and I'll go play street hockey against my 80 yr old mother with 2 replaced knees and 2 replaced hips, and crow about how good I am. Maybe get myself invited to the national championship.

It's not competitive golf, in the big picture. No ranking points required.

Why? On what basis?
-LIV has good golfers
-LIV has some not so good, not really competitive golfers. That were invited in, not having to 'play for their place'. Is, to my knowledge, the only org with this structure.
-the good golfers compete against the bad golfers, and are to earn world points off this? Sure, and I'll go play street hockey against my 80 yr old mother with 2 replaced knees and 2 replaced hips, and crow about how good I am. Maybe get myself invited to the national championship.

Wait what?
The Hero World Challenge and Kevin Kisner would like a better explanation

Why? On what basis?
-LIV has good golfers

I would prefer LIv to not exist at all and we get to see the best golfers play together. The crap can go away. But we don’t live in that world. So, I would like for the best in LIv to be able to compete with the best in other places when the chance is available.

I’m fine with it - I think the Liv players knew going in this was a risk

I’m fine with it - I think the Liv players knew going in this was a risk
I agree, but to say this “isn’t political” is about as big of a lie as there is. I don’t really care if they don’t get any points. But I do kinda like the half point idea of @Jman it’s something that the best of liv can get to keep them involved in the game on a larger scale.

I agree, but to say this “isn’t political” is about as big of a lie as there is. I don’t really care if they don’t get any points. But I do kinda like the half point idea of @Jman it’s something that the best of liv can get to keep them involved in the game on a larger scale.
I do like that idea and hopefully there’s a good compromise system out in place for them!

They say it is not political and just technical and it stems from the limited 48 man field.
Not sure I believe that it’s not.

...that they earned their way into through regular OPEN competition?

See above, they earned their way in. It's part of the season. No guarantees for anyone trying to get there.

Rory was trying to win, can you not see the difference? He gave his putt a chance, the other example did not try to win (for himself, tho yes for his team - see the problem in trying to assign that points?)
Still a limited field and you are guaranteed to get more points.

Why not just less points then? The no points really doesn’t make sense. Don’t people get points for the tour championship and the tournament of champions that have lower fields?
The tour championship is not the same thing. I don’t think it should be included for or against any argument for OWGR points. It is a stupid poorly conceived event but you can’t equate that with LIV.

The hero.. different story. It is an invitational limited field event.. that is a better comparison and card to pull.

They say it is not political and just technical and it stems from the limited 48 man field.
#Rigged

Can't say I'm surprised by the denial... but figure something out geez!

It doesn’t meet the criteria and it also isn’t a one off event. So I can under it.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the ruling but I do kinda go 🤔.

It is ridiculous because they give OWGR points to some feeder development tours that have tournaments that are 54 holes. Totally a slanted political decision.

I am conflicted, I don’t think someone can just come in and say “watch this” and Be a disrupter and get all the benefits of an established tour.

The owgr is supposed to rank the golfers in the men’s game.

The only thing that these rankings matter for are the majors and I bet the majors make a decision to go of DataGolf sooner rather than later.

I don't like the split, but why?
They set rules that pertain only to the tours that they govern over. That is my issue.

The fact that a Tour Championship has less golfers and is ******* handicapped and LIV Golfers can't get ranked is just so weird to me.

I would like to see LIV find a way to get OWGR points but I don’t think the Tour Championship is a good comparison. At the start of the season there are at least 150 golfers that have a chance to get to that event. There is a primarily closed group of golfers at the start of the year that play on LIV.

I think it is SI that has what seems to me to be a pretty good world ranking system.

Friendly reminder that the ladies on the Aramco series which is also 54 holes, no cut, limited field with a team competition that includes amateurs are getting ROLEX WORLD RANKINGS.

So the ladies can get world rankings playing the same format as LIV but the LIV players can get world rankings. Amazing.

Friendly reminder that the ladies on the Aramco series which is also 54 holes, no cut, limited field with a team competition that includes amateurs are getting ROLEX WORLD RANKINGS.

So the ladies can get world rankings playing the same format as LIV but the LIV players can get world rankings. Amazing.
Is Aramco the same 48 players every tournament? How does one qualify for the series?

Dont forget the Euro Tour and the Intl Fed of PGA Tours. Thats a lot of seats.
But if there merging why would they be against it? I don’t understand what’s going on with this stuff right now. If the Tour is in charge of OWGR and they think LIV is worth merging with, why are they against them getting rankings still?

I mean the explanation was fair. Other tours follow the format required. LIV doesn’t.

...that they earned their way into through regular OPEN competition?

See above, they earned their way in. It's part of the season. No guarantees for anyone trying to get there.

Rory was trying to win, can you not see the difference? He gave his putt a chance, the other example did not try to win (for himself, tho yes for his team - see the problem in trying to assign that points?)
When does the no lag putt rule go into effect on the tour?

Would it make sense to limit how far down the leaderboard a LIV player gets OWGR points? Say only the top 24 each week get points? That essentially would impose a "cut" on the field and solve one of the perceived issues.
Only problem with that, is that it makes too much sense.

Good call, if they truly wanted to solve the issue 👍

I am conflicted, I don’t think someone can just come in and say “watch this” and Be a disrupter and get all the benefits of an established tour.

The owgr is supposed to rank the golfers in the men’s game.

The only thing that these rankings matter for are the majors and I bet the majors make a decision to go of DataGolf sooner rather than later.
I agree that it’s the rankings role in determining who can play in the Majors that is the most significant thing here.

Back