NEWS OWGR Says No to LIV Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
They say it is not political and just technical and it stems from the limited 48 man field.

As they should have

• Admin
As they should have
I don't like the split, but why?
They set rules that pertain only to the tours that they govern over. That is my issue.

The fact that a Tour Championship has less golfers and is ******* handicapped and LIV Golfers can't get ranked is just so weird to me.

Interesting reasoning.

Not surprised. Not bothered by it

Why not just less points then? The no points really doesn’t make sense. Don’t people get points for the tour championship and the tournament of champions that have lower fields?

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Where in the heck is this merger going? @JB you know anything? Surely the manufacturers have heard some rustling or rumors. Is it even a viable plan?

So if the new pga limited field events get it we riot!!! I get it for now but if they do provide points to the PGA limited events then that is bs

They set rules that pertain only to the tours that they govern over. That is my issue.

The fact that a Tour Championship has less golfers and is ******* handicapped and LIV Golfers can't get ranked is just so weird to me.
Field size isn't the problem, it's the fact that it's essentially the same field every week. Closed shop.

Field size isn't the problem, it's the fact that it's essentially the same field every week. Closed shop.

Its both despite the spin they put on it.
And its not a completely closed shop, just not enough up and down...

That doesnt change my thought though, when tours own and operate the ranking system, the ranking system becomes utterly worthless.

Just golf politics. Not surprised by the decision. The ruling body could make it work if they wanted too.

The owgr system wont be 100% accurate.
Correct. In my opinion, the OWGR would be obsolete, as it is not giving us the OFFICIAL WORLD GOLF RANKINGS.

Limited fields, no cuts, 54 hole tournaments, no feeder tours. I have not read the new information but those were the previous issues the governing body had with LIV iirc

Its both despite the spin they put on it.
And its not a completely closed shop, just not enough up and down...

That doesnt change my thought though, when tours own and operate the ranking system, the ranking system becomes utterly worthless.
Yeah have to agree to disagree there, since they are the ones who use the rankings I don't see it that way.

If the merger goes through, then it's all moot anyway.

I’m not a fan of LIV, but now that the PGA tour did the same thing as the players now, I don’t get this. It wouldn’t be a big deal if the OWGR didn’t matter for things like majors and the Ryder cup. It’s not like it’s some obscure ranking like NFL power rankings.

Yeah have to agree to disagree there, since they are the ones who use the rankings I don't see it that way.

If the merger goes through, then it's all moot anyway.
No, just no.
Rankings are used for majors. Those are NOT part of the tours.
Thats the issue.

Limited fields, no cuts, 54 hole tournaments, no feeder tours. I have not read the new information but those were the previous issues the governing body had with LIV iirc
Still not entirely true anymore.
But that still goes back to the same thing. Limit the points fine, but its the ******* world rankings, its sole goal is to rank players from everywhere.

Yet in this case, the tour is on the board, therefore setting the rules and changing them (see last year) to limit.

Thats my problem. I dont like LIV Golf. I just hate hypocrisy. OWGR should be independent of the tours that earn from it.

Damn. Would have liked to see LIV do more to open up qualifying spots. Time for the majors to exempt the top “x” LIV guys.

No, just no.
Rankings are used for majors. Those are NOT part of the tours.
Thats the issue.

And the majors are PART OF THE OWGR BOARD!

Holy crap man

• WTF
Reactions: JB
And the majors are PART OF THE OWGR BOARD!

Holy crap man
Again, that is not what I said. Of course they are....SO IS THE PGA TOUR.
They should have NO part on the board deciding the rules for other tours.

I get the hatred, but the removal of facts to create a point is so on brand for this discussion.

From the article I read the OWGR President Peter Dawson stated that the 54 holes, no cut and 48 man field could be dealt with mathmatically, but the sticking points were they didn't feel it was merit based enough, given captains and contracts that there wasn't enough possiblity of change. But it's hilarious that he admits that they aren't ranking players that should be ranked and it's a problem that needs to get fixed, yet they won't.

I hate that they kind of said it’s hard so we’re going to do nothing at all and just be more wrong. Interesting that they cited the team aspect as a concern.

Back