I'm planning to visit my dad and bro in Mantua Township, NJ next weekend (not this weekend) and I'm trying to brainstorm what course we want to play. They frequent Pitman GC (which they like to call Pitman National :ROFLMAO:), Westwood, and Town and Country (and I used to as well), so looking to branch out a bit. My dad recently had shoulder surgery and has only played a couple rounds since, so he isn't hitting it too far and his short game is rusty, so I don't want to pick a brutally tough course, but looking for at least good conditions at a fair price. Thoughts I had:

On a budget:
Pinelands (haven't played)
White Oaks (played it once 2 yrs back, but condition was questionable)
Buena Vista? (haven't played)

A little nicer:
Running Deer (loved this one, but they might have a club championship)
Vineyard at Renault (been a LONG time since I played it)
Blue Heron Pines? (haven't played)

Any thoughts appreciated!

I'll be working in the Philly area next weekend (Levittown, PA and Moorestown, NJ) and will likely have some downtime on Sunday. Just curious if anyone in the area would be interested in teeing it up? It would have to be somewhere that rents clubs, I won't be traveling with mine. I'm willing to drive an hour or so if necessary.
Just bumping this in case anyone missed it the first time. I'm flying into Philly tomorrow morning.

Just bumping this in case anyone missed it the first time. I'm flying into Philly tomorrow morning.
I’m almost 2 hours from Levittown, so I don’t think I can make it work on Sunday, but safe travels and hope you can get out for a round!

I'm planning to visit my dad and bro in Mantua Township, NJ next weekend (not this weekend) and I'm trying to brainstorm what course we want to play. They frequent Pitman GC (which they like to call Pitman National :ROFLMAO:), Westwood, and Town and Country (and I used to as well), so looking to branch out a bit. My dad recently had shoulder surgery and has only played a couple rounds since, so he isn't hitting it too far and his short game is rusty, so I don't want to pick a brutally tough course, but looking for at least good conditions at a fair price. Thoughts I had:

On a budget:

A little nicer:

In case anyone cares, we decided to play Pinelands on the 26th. Haven't played it before but will report back to the group whether it's a good track!

Would certainly love to tee it up with you again Dart (we played Shoal Creek in KC together several years back and you gave me a ride to the airport!), but this Sunday unfortunately isn't in the cards for me as I already have a league round that day. If you're in the area again let me know though, would love to tee it up with you again!

Played Trump Golf Links Ferry Point in the Bronx yesterday. An easy ride up for a day trip. Fabulous track. They did a great job of putting a Scottish course within view of the nyc skyline.
896d0b72b9829b26a1033532d94bdc09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played Trump Golf Links Ferry Point in the Bronx yesterday. An easy ride up for a day trip. Fabulous track. They did a great job of putting a Scottish course within view of the nyc skyline.

That looks beautiful. I'm guessing the cost is splurge worthy though? Maybe someday I'll head up there and pony up, because it looks great.

That looks beautiful. I'm guessing the cost is splurge worthy though? Maybe someday I'll head up there and pony up, because it looks great.

While it is not cheap, the price is in line with the quality of the course. Should you go, i strongly recommend a fore caddy. The wind is constant and our caddy was giving me bang-on wind adjusted numbers that helped me shoot a good round.

In case anyone cares, we decided to play Pinelands on the 26th. Haven't played it before but will report back to the group whether it's a good track!

Would certainly love to tee it up with you again Dart (we played Shoal Creek in KC together several years back and you gave me a ride to the airport!), but this Sunday unfortunately isn't in the cards for me as I already have a league round that day. If you're in the area again let me know though, would love to tee it up with you again!
I remember picking you up at your hotel downtown, but not taking you to the airport...lol.

One more plea for any locals. I'm willing to travel up to 2 hours.

I remember picking you up at your hotel downtown, but not taking you to the airport...lol.

One more plea for any locals. I'm willing to travel up to 2 hours.
If you’re willing to travel as far west as the Reading area I could probably make it work. Unfortunately I’m not familiar with the courses in that area.

If you’re willing to travel as far west as the Reading area I could probably make it work. Unfortunately I’m not familiar with the courses in that area.
Looks to be around an hour and a half, so I can do that. I'd need to find a place that rents clubs.

Looks to be around an hour and a half, so I can do that. I'd need to find a place that rents clubs.
Any luck? Per their website, it looks like Manor Golf Course may have rentals.

Any luck? Per their website, it looks like Manor Golf Course may have rentals.
Sorry, just finished working for the day I called them and they do have clubs for rent and a few tee times around noon. Did you want to meet up? I'll pm you my phone number and you can call me if you want.

@Dartgod and I got out for an early afternoon round at Manor Golf Course. It was a fun and goofy course. The fairways weren’t much to speak of and the greens were slow, but they rolled true and the course was in good shape. Disclaimer: their lost and found may double as a rental set, but it’ll get the job done in a pinch.

I really want to play there. I go past there 4 times a week.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

@Dartgod and I got out for an early afternoon round at Manor Golf Course. It was a fun and goofy course. The fairways weren’t much to speak of and the greens were slow, but they rolled true and the course was in good shape. Disclaimer: their lost and found may double as a rental set, but it’ll get the job done in a pinch.

Glad you guys were able to get out!

Thanks again for meeting me somewhat halfway for an afternoon of fun. It was a goofy track and those rental clubs...oof. At least I can blame my atrocious front 9 on the clubs, it certainly wasn't due to me taking terrible swings and duffing chips. ;)

I really did enjoy it, hopefully we can tee it up again some day.

Has anyone ever played Mountain Valley near Tamaqua? Thinking about giving it a shot...or 90+

Has anyone ever played Mountain Valley near Tamaqua? Thinking about giving it a shot...or 90+

Mountain Valley is about 25 mins from me and I've played it numerous times. There are 2 courses there, the Valley and the Mountain. I would recommend for your first time up here, you play the Mountain. It's much more scenic (there are several elevated tees with excellent views) and it's a little more forgiving off the tee in general. However, that being said, both courses at Mountain Valley are well known for being tough tracks off the tee - there's a lot of slope on the fairways so some of them are tough to hold even if you hit them, and many holes are lined by forest in which it is very unlikely you will find your ball. The greens have also had on and off issues with fungus over the last couple years - I haven't played there yet this year, but last year there were a few bumpy greens.

Generally speaking though, it's a fun and scenic layout and for the price (less than 50 bucks on a weekend with a cart), it's a steal. Just be ready to hit some irons off the tee and you'll be ok!

I have but can't remember which course I played there as they have 2. Old Homestead is relatively close and is a much better track.

I have but can't remember which course I played there as they have 2. Old Homestead is relatively close and is a much better track.

Olde Homestead is also a fine track. Very different feel though, a lot of water and sand vs forest and mountain vistas at Mountain Valley. The conditioning is unquestionably better at OH but it's also about $20 more than MV, so you do get what you pay for. I consider MV a bargain for what you get, whereas OH is good value but I wouldn't call it a bargain.

Another track you could look at is Golden Oaks. That's closer to the Philly area, around same price as OH with a similar condition level, but a much more forgiving layout off the tee. Still a challenging track from the correct tees, but it's more of a second shot golf course IMO.

I play Golden Oaks and Olde Homestead quite often. Both are great. GO is most consistently the best course I play. It's NEVER in bad shape.

Is Hideaway Hills better than Mountain Valley?

Last edited:
Hideaway Hills booked this Sunday 2PM. Hopefully it's nice
Thats a fun course. We used to do a three day, stay there tournament. I have no idea how they would let us come back every year. At night it was more than a bit crazy.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

On a budget:

A little nicer:

Seaview CC down in Galloway, 2 courses can’t go wrong
Pine barrens
Sand barrens
All good options
@SkiBumGolfer

@Dartgod
Try Pennsauken, Scotland Run (one of my Fav) in Williamstown, Riverwinds

Back