Pine Straw or Wood Chips

Pine straw 100%, wood chips yesterday went sketchy. I can somewhat predict what pine straw will do, wood chips depending on size goes sideways quick.

Probably the wood chips. The ball always seems to move just before I make contact with the ball due to the mesh that the pine straw creates.

Either is preferable to the bare ground if you go "off course" on most of the courses around here.

I actually like the wood chips better.

Neither! 😎

I like pine straw, but we would be lucky to have either in AZ

Taking a drop, huh.
Lol nope just avoiding them all together haha.

Seriously though I’d say pine straw I think, we’ve seen quite a few amazing shots from there on tv. Actually I don’t think I’ve ever come across wood chips on a golf course 🤔

Pine straw 1000% less opportunity for debris to get in the way of the club face or deflecting the ball.

I would have to say pine straw. Wood chips seen to go all over the place. I'm already inaccurate, I don't need those shenanigans added

I'd go wood chips. I feel like my feet always slide on pine, no matter how well I try to dig in. I agree with those that judging coming off pine is a bit easier, but to me, the variance of me slipping is greater than the variance of wood chips on the strike.

I'd go wood chips. I feel like my feet always slide on pine, no matter how well I try to dig in. I agree with those that judging coming off pine is a bit easier, but to me, the variance of me slipping is greater than the variance of wood chips on the strike.
that's partly why I asked.

There seems to be a lot more stability on wood chips, however, it hits more like sand.

that's partly why I asked.

There seems to be a lot more stability on wood chips, however, it hits more like sand.
It does and that's a lot of how I tend to play them. A course we played in GA a lot loved their wood chips for some reason so I dealt with these two lies a bunch back then.

I've played quite a few courses that use pine straw but I can't recall ever having a wood chip lie. Are chips common? Common just to specific regions? Looks like more junk to deflect ball offline but maybe not? I know pine straw can get squirrely sometimes.

Pine straw for sure.

I’ve come to love pine straw as that is about all we have down here in Florida

Oh pine straw without a doubt. Not even close. It's not too bad, and the ball is usually up. Chips can be a nightmare far more often and it's by complete chance whether you can get to the back of the ball or not.

I've played quite a few courses that use pine straw but I can't recall ever having a wood chip lie. Are chips common? Common just to specific regions? Looks like more junk to deflect ball offline but maybe not? I know pine straw can get squirrely sometimes.
It's not super common here, but way more common than pine straw that's for sure. We've got a couple holes that are tree lined that they've put wood chips down over the last couple years and it looks WAY better than without it.

I prefer pine straw of the two. For whatever reason, I have no fear over that shot vs the other.
the foot slip is my only real fear there. I prefer the lie itself especially if my feet aren't on the straw.

I prefer pine straw of the two. For whatever reason, I have no fear over that shot vs the other.

I have no fear of either, but I feel like I have an easier time judging the ground under the wood vs the pine straw.

I have no fear of either, but I feel like I have an easier time judging the ground under the wood vs the pine straw.
Swing hard Dean.

the foot slip is my only real fear there. I prefer the lie itself especially if my feet aren't on the straw.
That’s honestly nothing that I ever consider, hmm….

Back