PING G30 Fairway Wood Review

Only hit the G30 3W once over the weekend. Off the tee on a short par 4. High draw that actually went a little farther than I planned and left me with a SW into the green. Still digging this 3W and on the lookout for a 5W.

I've genuinely tried but failed on this, but the 2 clubs which, on paper, look the best fit for me are the G30 5w and the aeroburner 5w. Really looking for an easy launch fairway as I don't easily get the ball up off the deck, and I prefer a lighter club. Around 17 to 18 deg seems ideal to consider
anyone with experience comparing these 2 fairways?
thanks

I've genuinely tried but failed on this, but the 2 clubs which, on paper, look the best fit for me are the G30 5w and the aeroburner 5w. Really looking for an easy launch fairway as I don't easily get the ball up off the deck, and I prefer a lighter club. Around 17 to 18 deg seems ideal to consider
anyone with experience comparing these 2 fairways?
thanks
Big Bertha V Series 3W.

Thanks. Just feel there's not enough loft there for me...
Go with the 5W then. It is very lightweight and launches the ball HIGH. This club seems like it is perfect for your needs.

Just can't get used to this thing. Bought it on impulse and regretted it ever since!

Just can't get used to this thing. Bought it on impulse and regretted it ever since!
Ouch that's a shame.
which fairway did you get? Do you think it's a fitting issue, or just that it isn't for you?

I think after 3 rounds with the Nike Flex in the bag its time for a battle, the G30 5W at 17 and the Flex at 17. Winner takes the bag spot, and honestly, I'll be shocked if it isn't the G30.

Picked up a G30 5W last week and have a couple of rounds with it now. I set it at 17* as more or less a 4W. Holy cow it flies nicely! Played in major wind last night, even into a 25-30mph wind it had a lovely straight boring flight that really got some distance, and that's off the deck - no problems at all getting it to GO! off the deck. A definite keeper.

Got the G30 5W out for a head to head with the Heavenwood, and after two rounds I'm sticking with the G30 5W for now. May be the combo just fits me better, but dialed up to 19˚ I'm seeing a similar height on shots and had no trouble with distance off the deck. Hit a couple out of the rough too and had no issues getting the 5W head down into the grass to hit the ball. Don't need one but I've got a slight ponder going for the 7W now to stand in when my 4I is acting up.

So long time no update, but the 3W is still a bomber for me. Been able to tame it pretty well off the tee. I can actually hit it off the deck reasonably well, but only do so when there's low risk if I miss as it's a bit more wild off the deck for me, but that's a me thing and honestly not a shot I pull too often.

So the 5W is a bit of a mystery for me. Was working ok, but somewhere along the line, I totally lost the feel for it. Which is weird because 5W is usually one of my favorite clubs. Tried a couple of older 5Ws and it's definitely a me issue as none have worked well... Which leads me to the hybrids. No thread for the hybrids that I'm aware of here, but wanted to put my thoughts around them somewhere.

Started with a 4H to replace my Speedblade 4I. Distance wise, I'd say that they're pretty comparable, with the edge going to the hybrid. The 4H is my 190-200 club, with a little extra off the tee. Difference is it's so easy for me to hit that I've started pulling it in places where I normally would hit 3W or even driver as I've grown so comfortable/confident with it. Good example is this weekend, on a long par 5, I'm staring down the narrow fairway thinking about how I can go 4H, 4H, then mid-short iron into the green. Still pulled driver like an idiot and left one in the woods, lost forever. Hit a provisional with my 4H and ended up using it. Another 4H and an 8I in. One putt for a 6 that should have been a 4. :banghead: I'll be pulling a hybrid off the tee on that one next time for sure.

With the 5W issues and my success with the 4H, I picked up a 3H as well. So far the results have been reasonable. Seeing a bit of right to left movement with it, but I've only hit it a hand full of times on the course. As long as I aim a little right of my target, things have worked out well. I will say that it's much more comforting to look down at a hybrid when hitting out of the rough than a FW. Don't know if this is a permanent fixture yet, but it's making a solid case. Think I'm losing a few yards to a 5W, but consistency is more important to me at this point.

Anyways, both of the hybrids launch high and the stock TFC shaft seems to match up well with me in these. I'd recommend the 4H to anyone looking for a replacement club in that range, and the 3H to those that like hybrids in those spots. I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about a 5H just a little bit after my success with the 4H.

I hit the 3 wood really well at PGA Superstore. Now I'm dreading the moment I see one pop up in the for sale forum.

Played the 5 wood outside for the first time today and it has immediately become my favorite of the 13 in the bag (the EX10 Beta has not arrived.) Straightest club I hit all day, off the deck or the tee, and very consistently around 210-215 on a cold, slightly wet day with almost no roll. I had a strong wind at my back, a pretty wide open par 5, and a good lie, so I stepped on it from 267 out and got 235 out of it. Admittedly the wind helped, but I have a lot of confidence hitting this club. In the 3 wood, I wound up liking the TEE EX10 Beta better, and the Cobra F7 slightly better, but I don't think I would feel deprived hitting a G30 or G 3 wood. And at $170 (G30) and $200 (G), they become a great value.

Played the 5 wood outside for the first time today and it has immediately become my favorite of the 13 in the bag (the EX10 Beta has not arrived.) Straightest club I hit all day, off the deck or the tee, and very consistently around 210-215 on a cold, slightly wet day with almost no roll. I had a strong wind at my back, a pretty wide open par 5, and a good lie, so I stepped on it from 267 out and got 235 out of it. Admittedly the wind helped, but I have a lot of confidence hitting this club. In the 3 wood, I wound up liking the TEE EX10 Beta better, and the Cobra F7 slightly better, but I don't think I would feel deprived hitting a G30 or G 3 wood. And at $170 (G30) and $200 (G), they become a great value.

Ref,

How are you liking the newer Ping gear? You came from using a set of G10s or something, right? How much improvement have you seen?

I have a G15 bag fairway, hybrids, irons, wedges and K15 driver now. I've tried some other stuff with limited success, the G15s typically are better for me. I have no immediate plans to move away, but given how old these are I should probably upgrade to enjoy any improvements made.

Dave

I am loving the Ping gear. I have really worked on my swing in the last year, and probably the best way to say it is that right now I am making good shots with the wrong club - too long/short. I find the G irons to be quite forgiving, and the Glide wedges are nothing short of point and shoot for me. But this is my first set of Ping irons. The first item in each row below was in my bag 2/1/16; the second is what's in it today.

Ping G15 9* ---> Callaway GBB
Cleveland Mashie 1h ---> Tour Edge Exotics EX10 Beta 3W
Cleveland Mashie 2h ---> Ping G30 5W
Tour Edge Bazooka 3h
Tour Edge Bazooka 4h ---> Ping G 4h
Tour Edge Bazooka Jmax QL 5i-PW ---> Ping G 5i-PW
Cleveland 588 51* Wedge ---> Ping G 50* Wedge
Cleveland 588* 56* Wedge ---> Ping Glide 54* Wedge
---> Ping Glide 58* Wedge
Ping G5i CRAZE-E C ----> SeeMore Giant M1t

With G15s you may be getting to the point where you would see a difference, but there's no way to know until you hit them. My irons were ten years old and intermediate level, but I played well with them. As I continue to work on my swing and game, I like the Gs more and more. You can see I changed every club in my bag, and the newest club was five years old when I replaced it. I changed a club only when I saw a definite improvement in performance, which for me means mostly playability - easy to hit and repeatable.

I say the same thing to everyone - you won't know until you hit them, and there are some very good golfers on here who play irons older than yours. But the Gs are definitely worth a shot. Let us know if you do try them.

Out for nine today after a lot of rain yesterday, so no roll. I was 196 out in deep wet rough and put it pin high, but about twenty yards right - a straight push. On the ninth, I was in the fairway, about nine feet below the pin and 204 out, into a stiff wind. Best shot of the day - the ball went straight and landed on the green about 20 feet below the pin. This club likes me, and it's mutual.

Last edited:
Still loving this 5W. On a day when I was pulling everything straight left, the G30 was again a model of consistency. Getting straight shots of 205-210; most consistent club in my bag. On the 16th hole today, a 420 yd Par 4 with water on both sides of a narrow fairway. I hit the 5W off the tee 205 yards along the right side of the fairway, then proceeded to hit a second 5W onto the green , leaving a 30 foot putt that I just missed. Tap-in par, or, as we say in my circles, a miracle. My son played a G30 3W and he outdrove me by a good 30 yards, leaving him a 6 iron into the green, which he hit very well but left short. In the near dusk, we could make out one ball on the green and we were both surprised to learn it was mine.

I keep seeing the potential in the EX10 Beta 3W - hit one 250 off the deck today with a strong fade - but this G30 is Ol' Reliable for now.

Back