PING G30 Fairway Wood Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
as usual good review

These could be worth a long look next season once the price ticks down a bit.

Last edited:
Great review! I was fitted for the 3-wood at 14,5 with the tour 80 shaft.. That combination is a real cannon for me and fits perfectly in between my hybrid and driver.
Was really surprised of the carry that was stable at 226-229 yards even on bad shots using trackman..
When the sun shines again in the spring there is a good chance that this club has found a place in my bag..

Between the fine writeup and seeing James hit this club all weekend my G20 just got a little nervous.

Shafts are interesting as it appears the TFC shaft actually has a bit more torque and weight than the tour 65? Most notably in the R flex? Am I reading that right?

Great review, James!!! Nice job! Sounds like I need to demo one of these!

Great review Jman. Pretty spot on too. The tour shafts are the only reason i was able to put both the 3 wood and driver in my bag. And it took a LOT for me to give up my X2 Hot 3 wood. While the G30 was 5 yards shorter than the X2 hot, the amount of forgiveness and consistency on mishits was too much to ignore ESPECIALLY low on the heel.
Shafts are interesting as it appears the TFC shaft actually has a bit more torque and weight than the tour 65? Most notably in the R flex? Am I reading that right?
Yes, the Tour shafts are actually a touch shorter than the stock TFC shafts which might be why they weigh less. All the tour shafts have lower torque than the TFC shafts as they are stiffer than their counterparts and lower launching.

Hope that helps. Getting fit on the nflight system was pretty cool too. It spits out the shaft it thinks you need and a number 2 option as well so you can compare the feel.

Man I love the look of these. Everything sounds really promising for this line. Good work Jman.

They are higher torque shafts, yep. Has a lot to do with the counter-weighting in the shafts.

Between the fine writeup and seeing James hit this club all weekend my G20 just got a little nervous.

I hit these well this weekend, really well. The 3w went toe-to-toe with Tyler's Bertha and won...and I shall cherish that moment FOREVER. hahaha

Nice write-up James. I really liked the feel of the G30 driver when I demo'd it, these might have to get a test too. The face looks pretty tall, I know you mentioned that in the test. What's the bottom like? I could never get used to my RBZ 3 Tour wood off the deck, the bulbous bottom just didnt' work for me. Have you hit that to compare?

Nice write-up James. I really liked the feel of the G30 driver when I demo'd it, these might have to get a test too. The face looks pretty tall, I know you mentioned that in the test. What's the bottom like? I could never get used to my RBZ 3 Tour wood off the deck, the bulbous bottom just didnt' work for me. Have you hit that to compare?

The RBZ, IMO, was one of the hardest to hit fairway off the deck we have seen released. These aren't like that, yes, they are deeper than previous PING releases but the sole has no issues with turf interaction thanks to its more level/even build.

Honestly, I think these are the best clubs in the G30 line, and I also reviewed the driver.

Actually meant to say a bit less torque...

Actually meant to say a bit less torque...

I was looking at R to S on their site, lame morning lack of caffeine will be the blame :alien:

I've not hit the Tour 65 in these as they sent the Tour 80 for the 3w as an alt shaft. I will say though they def launch lower. I really think the TFC 419 shafts are solid solid fits for these fairways, more so than in the driver to be honest.

Haven't hit this yet but I'm definitely going to hit the 3W when I get a chance. Driver is solid for me so far. Wonder if I'll see the same out of these.

Pondering a new fairway this offseason as the one I'm hitting has a big tendancy to go left on me. The G30 looks great and I like a deeper faced fairway wood. In the review I saw that the adjustment is easy and doesnt change the appearance at address, but does it actually change the face angle?

I love that Ping sent over 2 options for you especially since the theories behind the 3 woods and 5 woods were so different. And Im glad what you saw validated the though process behind these clubs, love the sounds of a high launching 3W especially for someone like me that struggles to get the ball airborn especially off the deck.

Pondering a new fairway this offseason as the one I'm hitting has a big tendancy to go left on me. The G30 looks great and I like a deeper faced fairway wood. In the review I saw that the adjustment is easy and doesnt change the appearance at address, but does it actually change the face angle?

As with most adapters, yes, but thanks to the low increments of the adjustments most will not perceive this. Though I know some are incredibly mental when it comes to things like this.

I love that Ping sent over 2 options for you especially since the theories behind the 3 woods and 5 woods were so different. And Im glad what you saw validated the though process behind these clubs, love the sounds of a high launching 3W especially for someone like me that struggles to get the ball airborn especially off the deck.

Can't believe I didn't have you hit these on the range. I think the V-Series is a better fit for you personally, but I think you would have had fun swinging these.

As with most adapters, yes, but thanks to the low increments of the adjustments most will not perceive this. Though I know some are incredibly mental when it comes to things like this.

I was kind of torn between the 3 and the 5, but knowing which way the face will open or close with loft will help in that decision.

Thanks for the review on this one James. Very interesting how they approached the adapter/adjustability and the subsequent reasoning behind it. Instead of going with the norm, they provided adjustability that made a difference in testing, not just another number. Really like the reasoning behind it.

It was enjoyable watching you play this on Friday, it's a fantastic club in the bag for you.

Thanks for the review on this one James. Very interesting how they approached the adapter/adjustability and the subsequent reasoning behind it. Instead of going with the norm, they provided adjustability that made a difference in testing, not just another number. Really like the reasoning behind it.

It was enjoyable watching you play this on Friday, it's a fantastic club in the bag for you.

You know more than most my history with fairway woods too hahahaha

The swing work has def aided my ability to hit them, but I still enjoy seeing a fairway that can get me a little more launch (the 3 off the tee is that and the 5 off the deck is definitely that for me). But, its just nice to see a fairway from PING that really can compete distance wise with some of the other names out there being released, the material change for them was a very very wise move IMO.

Also, was kinda cool to get everyones thoughts on the turbulators too, no one hated them at all.

Got the 3 and the 5 on order now, huge backlog on the tour 80 shaft option though. Being told 7 weeks..ouch!

Good review. Looking forward to trying these out on the course. I am planning on replacing my X Hot woods.

Great review, Jman. Sounds like Ping has made some huge moves forward with the G30 FWs.

Great review, Jman. Sounds like Ping has made some huge moves forward with the G30 FWs.

Definitely catching up in the fairway department since as of late distance has become the name of the game there, just really well rounded clubs in all though.

Back