Ping G400 Max Driver Review

Great write up. I'm currently gaming the 440 head, but thinking about ordering the Max. Can never go wrong with more forgiveness!

My previous gamer was damaged so I had a fitting about a month ago. I walked out with the G Max. There were two that were slightly longer (Rogue, F8) but none that had the tight dispersion the G Max offered. The sound isn't bad at all. Frankly, I kind of like it. For the combo of sound and feel, its hard to beat the F8 but for me, the biggest thing I need help with is finding fairways and I think this is the best by quite a distance.

Thanks all!

Really enjoyed this review particularly because I know you think highly of the G400. The Max did seem like an interesting release separate of the OG G400, LST and SFT, but I certainly agree that it rounds out the lineup nicely. I love my G400, but I'll get around to trying the Max eventually!

Another excellent review, James. I especially appreciated the comparison of different shafts, knowing how much time and effort that involved.

As you said, it's not a one size fits all, but a lot of people who try it are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Nice review James. I traded my G400 SFT for a G400 Max head and I'm very pleased with the Max. So far it is performing better than my Rogue.

I think you've finally convinced me to add this to the bag. Gonna be a year long dual between the Epic and the Max and I'm super freaking excited about that.

Another fantastic review Mr. Miles.

I really need to try this one - I like the G400 SFT but more forgiveness intrigues me.

I do wonder what the trade off in other tech for them to get MOI to 9,900 vs 9,200 in the regular and 7,000 in other drivers

Excellent review.

I've now tried the whole line up in my local store and for me, the LST came out on top, but until I sort my driver swing out, I don't want to pull the trigger but can definitely see a PING finding its way into my bag.

Thanks Deano!

Nice review James. I just purchased a Max to try after failed attempts to demo a lefty. I have not been able to get it on a monitor, but the ballflight I am getting has me thinking it is longer than my G400 and lower spinning. I am using a Speeder 661 Evo shaft in both and the trajectory is similar in height, but the Max appears to flatten out a little more if that makes sense. The Max is definitely straighter for me. Can you say “Point and shoot.” As for feel and sound, the Max feels much better than the G, but not quite as soft feeling as the G400. As for the sound, once again much improved over the G, but louder than the G400. I prefer the sound and feel of the G400, but can easily live with the Max. I will have to do some on course testing before I make a final decision what stays in the bag. I can see the max being my every day driver and the G 400 staying in back up for when I play a course that requires me to work the ball more.

Thanks for a very helpful review! I have demo'd the smaller G400 but not the G400 Max as yet. This review may be the push I need to take a close look at the Max.

Comparing the regular G400 to my Epic driver, I came away with positive feelings about the G400 but I still did better with the Epic overall. That assessment could change, however, if I am able to demo a G400 (or the G400 Max) with a wider range of shafts. Because I've played several Callaway drivers over the past couple of years, I have several shafts with Callaway adapters that allow me to custom tune my driver set-up to optimize performance. In contrast, I do not have the same options when I demo Ping drivers.

Many players here on THP have a range of exotic shafts to try or don't hesitate to switch among several tip adapters to cross between different driver brands to try out new clubs. For me, though, I've learned through painful experience that I should never mess with a club/shaft combination that works well until I have a replacement combo that works even better. That means that I'm presently stuck with the limited selection of shafts on a fitting cart when I demo a Ping driver. I already know that Ping's Alta shaft is too wild and has too much spin for me, but I also do not have the swing speed to handle the Tour 65 that many better players rave about. I'd love to try a G400 with some of the shafts I have for my Callaway heads, but I'm not yet ready to play around with switching tip adapters or making an untested investment in a Ping driver and an upgraded shaft. I'm hoping that Ping will expand its shaft options so that more people can be fit into a Ping head based on actual performance rather than the hopeful optimism that guides so many club decisions by poor souls like me who are committed to that never-ending quest for the perfect driver. Fortunately, it looks like Ping's G400 line has several great head options, and I hope I'll eventually have the opportunity to explore them with several shafts that fit my swing.

I won't lie, I'm constantly perusing eBay looking for a deal on a 10.5 after this review, which is saying something for me, especially with what I've done to the golf course with my G400 the past two days. Just something I'd love the ability to tinker with for my personal game now that the review is over and on the hub.

Great review James. It was really fair with the comparison to the other G400 models in the current lineup. Will this Max model instant hit fairways as its the newest? no of course not, but like you said it gives us options and something different to look down at, while still performing incredibly well from your data. In a game where confidence is key having all those options is a great thing in my book.

I won't lie, I'm constantly perusing eBay looking for a deal on a 10.5 after this review, which is saying something for me, especially with what I've done to the golf course with my G400 the past two days. Just something I'd love the ability to tinker with for my personal game now that the review is over and on the hub.

It says a lot about how good the G400 Max is when you follow up the review with a comment that you are considering a future purchase of this driver. Maybe your G400 will soon be welcoming another member of the G400 "family."

That escalated quickly....

Another fantastic review Mr. Miles.

I really need to try this one - I like the G400 SFT but more forgiveness intrigues me.

I do wonder what the trade off in other tech for them to get MOI to 9,900 vs 9,200 in the regular and 7,000 in other drivers

Traded the 400SFT for the Max and have never driven the ball this consistently straight with good distance.

The 400Max is one of only two drivers where from the first swing I took, I knew I was buying, and once I did, never needed a break in period with. The other was the 2015 GBB, which I loved, and gamed from it's release date until last summer. I went with an Epic, and to this day I don't know why. It had to be a combination of online reviews, friends raving about theirs, whatever. I never felt comfortable with it, even in the store. I was determined to make it work though. Two shaft changes, still nothing... I hit some of my longest drives ever, some of my wildest, and never knew at impact which was coming. I had always felt driver was a strong part of my game, never internet long, but enough, and rarely in trouble. but that was all gone. Thankfully rumors began about a 460 version of the 400, and I waited. Well, until the first day demos arrived, then 20 minutes later I placed my order. Straight distance is real. At least for me. As my confidence grew with this club, I began to go after it harder and harder. I can't hit it crooked. I hope people give it a try, hopefully it will work for some as well as it does for me. You never know with clubs, I still shake my head as I watch my buddies bomb it with their Epics! Golf is crazy...

The 400Max is one of only two drivers where from the first swing I took, I knew I was buying, and once I did, never needed a break in period with.

This pretty much was me, except it is the only driver that treated me this way. For me, it was a matter of trying the various shaft options, but this driver works really well for me.

Oh, gosh, guess that Rogue goes in for the 30 day credit, and the Max gets a tryout.

Thx? Jman.....

That escalated quickly....
Hahaha, you know me.

I want some extended time with both to really tinker, and to be able to get the Max headweight up to where my 400 is and then compare.

Oh, gosh, guess that Rogue goes in for the 30 day credit, and the Max gets a tryout.

Thx? Jman.....
Haha, dude, my Rogue is going too with a Max inbound.

Since I might be somewhere close to the Home Strech in golf years I have decided to expand my driver options. Still trying to find a clear beat of my XR 16. A 2017 M2 D Type is coming Monday. Never hit one but the White Tie shaft is a good fit for me. Tonight I created a detailed watch list of Rogue and G400 drivers. I was about 99% sure that a G400 would be heading my way in days.Now I am confused . After reading the Jman' s solid an interesting Max review I am confused. I will let Desmond and Jman thrash this one out .Have not had a Ping driver ever. . Now leaning Max . ??. .

Back