Ping G400 Max Driver Review

Going to install the ATTAS PUNCH 7x I've had laying around forever into one of the ping adapted this weekend, it'll be between it and the COOOL 7X in both heads to decide the winner.

Since I might be somewhere close to the Home Strech in golf years I have decided to expand my driver options. Still trying to find a clear beat of my XR 16. A 2017 M2 D Type is coming Monday. Never hit one but the White Tie shaft is a good fit for me. Tonight I created a detailed watch list of Rogue and G400 drivers. I was about 99% sure that a G400 would be heading my way in days.Now I am confused . After reading the Jman' s solid an interesting Max review I am confused. I will let Desmond and Jman thrash this one out .Have not had a Ping driver ever. . Now leaning Max . ??. .

Go with the Max if you're buying blind...

I hit the G400 well today - 12/14 fwys; some were actually long. Still, it was not difficult to get full credit for a redacted driver and bring 9.0 Max home. It's nothing earth shattering - seems at first glance to do what G400 does - it is meant to offer more consistency. We'll see. Will put my G400 driver shaft in the Max until I get my guy to adjust swingweight, etc., check out any differences btween the two club on Trackman.

12 for 14 not too shabby at all...nice Desmond

12 for 14 not too shabby at all...nice Desmond

It was a ... miracle!

And one of those hit a tree and bounced onto the fairway... divine intervention.

(Worked on keeping my back to the ball a bit longer, and getting that lead arm more attached to body on downswing)

Go with the Max if you're buying blind...
I have hit the 400 but only about 10 swings at range. I liked it but was to worn out to take any more swings. At this point I just want to have at least 3 options that are fun to hit at the range and work well on the course.Today the totally in the blind 2017 M2 arrived and range test went well. Now the Max will be next. My golf years are limited and my buying frenzied add to my fun.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

I have hit the 400 but only about 10 swings at range. I liked it but was to worn out to take any more swings. At this point I just want to have at least 3 options that are fun to hit at the range and work well on the course.Today the totally in the blind 2017 M2 arrived and range test went well. Now the Max will be next. My golf years are limited and my buying frenzy adss to my fun.

It was a ... miracle!

And one of those hit a tree and bounced onto the fairway... divine intervention.

(Worked on keeping my back to the ball a bit longer, and getting that lead arm more attached to body on downswing)
And it is good sportsmanship to not pick up lost balls until they stop rolling. Loving that Desmondism.

I hit the G400 well today - 12/14 fwys; some were actually long. Still, it was not difficult to get full credit for a redacted driver and bring 9.0 Max home. It's nothing earth shattering - seems at first glance to do what G400 does - it is meant to offer more consistency. We'll see. Will put my G400 driver shaft in the Max until I get my guy to adjust swingweight, etc., check out any differences btween the two club on Trackman.
Look forward to your comparisons of 400 and Max as I want one more driver.

Look forward to your comparisons of 400 and Max as I want one more driver.

I have a hunch there will be a surge in that amount of G400 drivers on eBay because of the Max.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk TAPTALK sucks. Installed for 10 minutes and quickly deleted.

Last edited:
I won't lie, I'm constantly perusing eBay looking for a deal on a 10.5 after this review, which is saying something for me, especially with what I've done to the golf course with my G400 the past two days. Just something I'd love the ability to tinker with for my personal game now that the review is over and on the hub.

Patience will be needed. There won't be many there for a while.

I just scored a like new 10.5° Max head and it will be arriving Monday! I can't wait to put the Coool in it and check it out.

I have a hunch there will be a surge in that amount of G400 drivers on eBay because of the Max.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk TAPTALK sucks. Installed for 10 minutes and quickly deleted.
Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. I think new purchases will obviously lean Max, but, I think most of those with the 400 will be pretty content.

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. I think new purchases will obviously lean Max, but, I think most of those with the 400 will be pretty content.

My Dad has now being using the Gmax for a few weeks and driving is now his strengh. He had been using a TM Rockeballz driver for the past 5 years in regular flex. He was fitted for a Gmax Senior flex and Is longer and straighter than ever.
He smiles every time he grabs the Gmax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Dad has now being using the Gmax for a few weeks and driving is now his strengh. He had been using a TM Rockeballz driver for the past 5 years in regular flex. He was fitted for a Gmax Senior flex and Is longer and straighter than ever.
He smiles every time he grabs the Gmax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not surprised in the least, like I mentioned in the review I really believe Ping has maybe the most complete driver lineup out there. The G30 and G were successful, but nothing like this.

Fantastic driver. And at 399, cheaper than a lot of the other names.

I went to a Ping fitting day and ended up replacing my Epic with a 400 Max. Because of the weather, I have only been able to hit it a few times outside. Based on the temperature, course conditions and my lack of playing etc, I hit the Max about 10 to 15 yards farther and straighter than the Epic I traded in. It may be a couple of more weeks before we can really play around here but so far I really like this driver.

I went to a Ping fitting day and ended up replacing my Epic with a 400 Max. Because of the weather, I have only been able to hit it a few times outside. Based on the temperature, course conditions and my lack of playing etc, I hit the Max about 10 to 15 yards farther and straighter than the Epic I traded in. It may be a couple of more weeks before we can really play around here but so far I really like this driver.

Sound just like me, except I'm fortunate to have been playing the heck out of mine. It only gets better, because of the confidence you'll get from the "Straight Distance" LOL

I would like to try the max against the epic and my xr16. Last ping driver I played was the g20.

The stock Alta shaft is TIP soft and pretty high torque. I hit the 400 with Alta reg. Flex and even though it went well the soft tip left me questioning the shaft. Have not hit the stiff Alta maybe it is not strictly true to flex and plays like a strong regular ??? Pings stock shaft lineup does not seem to be extensive. Do they have one 60 grams or less other than Alta. Pretty sure next one up is the 65. Anyone know anything about Ping's premium shaft lineup.60 grams or less and wee bit more tip firm then Alta.

The stock Alta shaft is TIP soft and pretty high torque. I hit the 400 with Alta reg. Flex and even though it went well the soft tip left me questioning the shaft. Have not hit the stiff Alta maybe it is not strictly true to flex and plays like a strong regular ??? Pings stock shaft lineup does not seem to be extensive. Do they have one 60 grams or less other than Alta. Pretty sure next one up is the 65. Anyone know anything about Ping's premium shaft lineup.60 grams or less and wee bit more tip firm then Alta.

I don't like any of their offerings - lack feel or kick to me; not enough choices.

Check out Ping's Aldila Xtorsion option. It may fit your needs.

Grabbed a tip for the PUNCH 7X, should get here right when the head arrives. Excited to get it built, going to match the headweight to my G400 and then throw down the gauntlet between the two.

Back