PING Gmax Irons Review Thread

I'm not hawk, but to me they are very different. One is a hollow body hybrid with little offset and unique material construction and the other is the Gmax featured in this well done review.

Both designed to get it up high and be forgiving but done in very different ways.

I'm not hawk, but to me they are very different. One is a hollow body hybrid with little offset and unique material construction and the other is the Gmax featured in this well done review.

Both designed to get it up high and be forgiving but done in very different ways.

Thanks JB I think I have tried every SGI out there but nothing seems to work better than the Altitudes for me. But as they say if you don't try them you will never know.

JB nailed it. Just to expand on a couple things.

One big difference is the sole. Altitude is a very wide, flat sole. GMax is still wide (not as wide in the mid/long irons especially), but has a beveled trailing edge. It's more like an iron in that regard, where the Alitudes are more like hybrids (again, moreso as you get into the mid/long irons).

The Karstens, GMax's predecessor, have a much more traditional iron sound to them. The GMax sort of went away from that and it's like a muted, high pitched hybrid almost.

I think at some point here, your choice would be on a personal preference level more than anything. I was more of a fan of the Karstens than the other two. GMax would probably come in second, just based on sound. I never really loved the Altitudes - and of course, that takes nothing away from them. They are well liked by many for good reason.

THP Review can be found on the home page here.

http://bit.ly/1NpRW2M

PING engineered its longest, straightest iron ever by utilizing COR-Eye Technology, which simultaneously activates the sole, face, and top rail to increase ball speed up to 3 mph over previous PING models, providing greater distance with control. COR-Eye creates a faster ball speed that is constant across the entire face, so even off-center strikes deliver longer, straighter results.

A new cavity structure houses a concealed Custom Tuning Port that connects to the sole. With this deeper position and wider sole, each iron's center of gravity is moved lower and farther back to increase the MOI for more forgiveness, accuracy and consistency.

Distance-generating lengths and lofts are optimized for efficient gapping with the distance control and high trajectory needed to hit and hold more greens. An enhanced leading edge, more trailing edge relief and refined bounce help optimize turf interaction. The 4- thru 8-iron faces are heat treated using a specialized process that strengthens the material by approximately 40%, creating a Hyper-17-4 alloy and allowing the face to be thinner for greater flexing and faster ball speeds.

Longer blade lengths and increased offset maximize forgiveness and ensure a higher max shot height. The set has a unique swingweight progression where the 4, 5 and 6 irons have lighter swingweights to help square the face at impact, creating faster ball speeds for longer, straighter shots.

- Available 4-9, PW, UW, SW
- Stock steel shaft: PING CFS Distance (Soft R, R, S, X)
- Stock graphite shaft: PING CFS Graphite (65 Soft R, 70 R, 80 S)
- After-market stock shaft options (no upcharge): Dynamic Gold S300, X100; Project X 5.0, 6.0; XP 95 (R, S), N.S. Pro Modus3 105 (S, X)
- U.S. MSRP: $121.25 per club w/steel shaft; $ 136.25 per club w/graphite shaft

*Note - Yellow dot is considered 'standard' lie in the Gmax iron series.

DSCN6438-L.jpg

DSCN6436-L.jpg

DSCN6439-L.jpg

DSCN6440-L.jpg

DSCN6443-L.jpg

DSCN6449-L.jpg

DSCN6447-L.jpg

DSCN6454-L.jpg

DSCN6451-L.jpg

DSCN6457-L.jpg

DSCN6458-L.jpg

DSCN6456-L.jpg

DSCN6462-L.jpg

DSCN6464-L.jpg

DSCN6433-L.jpg

DSCN6435-L.jpg

Is is the yellow dot equal, lie wise, to the old yellow? Or is it equal to the old black? Thanks

Is is the yellow dot equal, lie wise, to the old yellow? Or is it equal to the old black? Thanks
Same lie as its always been, they can still be ordered in black, but based on pings fitting data it was overwhelmingly shown to them that yellow was the most common lie for the Karsten and blue for the i25, so based off that they made yellow the "base" lie for the gmax and blue for the new iE1

Same as the Karstens - or if there is a difference it's tiny and probably only recordable via iron byron or something.

Compared to G30's - probably noticeable (more).

Anyone else able to compare GMAX vs Karsten? Would be interested in understanding if the lighter swingweight in the long irons is actually working .... In theory it sounds smart

Its a beefy iron, but already fit and sold 3 sets at the club and my only conclusion is that PING people are a strange breed.

Hi Guys new to forum but here goes.
A little history. Bought my first set from Dick's (my mistake) is was Callaway Razor HL with Hybrids Taylormade RBZ and Callaway Opti Force 3 wood. I ended up replacing my Hybrids with Callaway x Hot 4,5 & 6 irons & adding a 3 Hybrid.
After playing this setup for a 1 1/2 years I went and got fitted for a new set of irons (my original thought) I went in looking at the Callaway XR and/or the Taylormade RSI 1.
Now went through the fitting process and I found that I need to 1+ degree toe up, this change how I hit even my current setup. I tried both the Callaway and the Taylormade and hit them about the the same with the Callaway leading with a bit more consistency on ball speed. The fitter had the Ping G-Max fitting set in house and had me try them. ball speed was about the same but ball flight was tighter and more consistant than either of the others. Hooked I ordered them. New bag is G-Max 5- 9 PW, UW, SW with a Senior flex Graphite shaft. also G-30 19 and 22 degree Hybrid and a G25 12 degree driver all with Wynn Dri-Tac grips. Got my full bag by July 30th (?). Hit the range that evening after hitting several just to swing at something, I was impressed they actually felt better then they did at my fitting. Distance and spread seem good (my launch monitor). Played a round on Sunday the toe up setting removed most of my off to the right shots. Distance and spread on the course was good. Clubs felt good and swung better. Shot one of my better rounds first time out, I'm sure most of the improvement was due to the 3/4 degree toe up of the new irons, but my miss hits were better and closer to target line than they were with my old setup. Hybrids swung nicely and worked well out of the rough (better off the fairway).
Recap good distance with the irons ( Razor HL 123 yard 7 iron G-Max 137 yard 7 iron). G-30 Hybrids were also good but the Callaway Razor HL hybrids were just as good.

I love PING products and I am sure the Gmax will serve the player PING intended it to. But why put a ferrule on these? Dang soon the G irons will have a ferrule. Sorry but I am old school PING guy and love the non-ferrule look...it is distinctly a PING thing!!!

I love PING products and I am sure the Gmax will serve the player PING intended it to. But why put a ferrule on these? Dang soon the G irons will have a ferrule. Sorry but I am old school PING guy and love the non-ferrule look...it is distinctly a PING thing!!!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

How do you like the G30 irons and what shaft do you play? If the G30 ends up being the last of the non-ferrule irons I will "have to" snag me a set for when my i15 irons become too much for me...if that ever happens??? To me the i15 was one of the best designs as the long irons are very "G" like but 5 iron down is smaller but still forgiving. I love my i15 irons!!!

How do you like the G30 irons and what shaft do you play? If the G30 ends up being the last of the non-ferrule irons I will "have to" snag me a set for when my i15 irons become too much for me...if that ever happens??? To me the i15 was one of the best designs as the long irons are very "G" like but 5 iron down is smaller but still forgiving. I love my i15 irons!!!

Love them. I've got the TT XP95 stiff shafts which gives me a higher trajectory. To me they just feel very solid and forgiving and like you said, they have that classic PING look about them. I just wish the lofts were 4 degree separation from the UW to the 7 iron. If they were, I would carry the 6 iron and wouldn't find myself to be in-between clubs on some holes during the round.

Love them. I've got the TT XP95 stiff shafts which gives me a higher trajectory. To me they just feel very solid and forgiving and like you said, they have that classic PING look about them. I just wish the lofts were 4 degree separation from the UW to the 7 iron. If they were, I would carry the 6 iron and wouldn't find myself to be in-between clubs on some holes during the round.

Very good to hear and glad they are working for you. I have tried to get the "G" irons to work in my game and have owned the G15, G20 and G25 irons with various shaft combinations over the years but they just start to look too big for my liking. They were always very forgiving and playable for sure. I have been away from golf for about 2 years (shoulder surgeries...was a 6hc) and decided when I came back to find the PING's I wanted and found these i15 irons (see sig) in very good condition but had graphite shafts so they are now at PING being reshafted, bent to yellow dot and repainted white lines if needed. I should have them back next week!!!

Good to hear you're back out there again :)

Thanks...and what is a PING G30 SF Tec Driver - Mini (per your signature)???

It's a G30 with more weight shifted to the heel side. Helps those that leave the face open at Impact square the face up. Essentially a new version of the K15 driver. Been gaming one since July 2014. Awesome stick

Thanks...and what is a PING G30 SF Tec Driver - Mini (per your signature)???

It's the SF Tec 12 degree head set at 13 degrees with a full size 43" fairway wood shaft. It's 220-240 straight down the middle almost every time. Awesome for short par 4's and tight fairways.

It's the SF Tec 12 degree head set at 13 degrees with a full size 43" fairway wood shaft. It's 220-240 straight down the middle almost every time. Awesome for short par 4's and tight fairways.

Neat combo. Does it play around 43-43.25" total club length ?

Are these worth gaming over a G30 set, if I do not need any additional distance in my irons?

Hi Guys new to forum but here goes.
A little history. Bought my first set from Dick's (my mistake) is was Callaway Razor HL with Hybrids Taylormade RBZ and Callaway Opti Force 3 wood. I ended up replacing my Hybrids with Callaway x Hot 4,5 & 6 irons & adding a 3 Hybrid.
After playing this setup for a 1 1/2 years I went and got fitted for a new set of irons (my original thought) I went in looking at the Callaway XR and/or the Taylormade RSI 1.
Now went through the fitting process and I found that I need to 1+ degree toe up, this change how I hit even my current setup. I tried both the Callaway and the Taylormade and hit them about the the same with the Callaway leading with a bit more consistency on ball speed. The fitter had the Ping G-Max fitting set in house and had me try them. ball speed was about the same but ball flight was tighter and more consistant than either of the others. Hooked I ordered them. New bag is G-Max 5- 9 PW, UW, SW with a Senior flex Graphite shaft. also G-30 19 and 22 degree Hybrid and a G25 12 degree driver all with Wynn Dri-Tac grips. Got my full bag by July 30th (?). Hit the range that evening after hitting several just to swing at something, I was impressed they actually felt better then they did at my fitting. Distance and spread seem good (my launch monitor). Played a round on Sunday the toe up setting removed most of my off to the right shots. Distance and spread on the course was good. Clubs felt good and swung better. Shot one of my better rounds first time out, I'm sure most of the improvement was due to the 3/4 degree toe up of the new irons, but my miss hits were better and closer to target line than they were with my old setup. Hybrids swung nicely and worked well out of the rough (better off the fairway).
Recap good distance with the irons ( Razor HL 123 yard 7 iron G-Max 137 yard 7 iron). G-30 Hybrids were also good but the Callaway Razor HL hybrids were just as good.

Glad to hear you are liking them and welcome to THP! And where in NY are ya?

Interesting. So plays like a strong 3 wood but with a driver head...hmmm... how did you get the swing weight to work for you? Did you put a heavy shaft in the club?

Are these worth gaming over a G30 set, if I do not need any additional distance in my irons?

I can't speak to the GMax specifically, but I compared the G30 to the Karstens and preferred the G30s (for everything outside of the finish). My numbers were slightly better. I think it's going to depend on the user. If you're someone who doesn't launch the ball high, you might find better numbers with the GMax. If not, the G30 may be a better fit.

I found this thread searching for info on the Ping Gmax irons, and after purchasing them, decided to write in hopes of helping someone else trying to decide whether to upgrade an ancient set of irons to modern technology. For everybody else, I apologize in advance for the bandwidth...

By way of background, I'm absolutely in the target market for these clubs; if I had a handicap, it would be high, my swing speed is pretty slow, etc. I hadn't played more than a round or two of golf in the last ten years, until I played with my father-in-law this summer and got hooked again. For years while playing actively, I refused to consider buying new clubs as my belief was that I couldn't buy a better game - I needed to practice and improve my swing, not spend money hoping better clubs would make me swing better. I was playing with a set of irons I bought used for $50 in 1998, and they were old then - Wilson Staff WS2000 Tour Model. I pretty much couldn't hit anything longer than a 5 iron in that set, although I kept trying, with miserable results.

So finally, after a strong recommendation by a teaching pro (George Henry, Irvine, CA), I got fit by a reputable golf shop (Steve Carafino's Newport Beach Golf Shop) into a set of Ping Gmax irons, 4-PW+SW. Ping CFS graphite shafts, RS flex, +3/4". Very upright lie (Maroon dot), and double wrapped tape under the grips. Quite a difference from the steel shafted, standard length and lie clubs I had been using.

Of course I hit a few of them at the golf shop, both indoors and out, during the fitting and before taking them home. But I wanted to see how they would do on the range, across the full set.

OH MY GOD. I am now kicking myself for 17 years of mulish obstinance. What a difference! Almost every shot felt like it was on or near the sweet spot. My hands weren't stinging. I could hit a 4 iron straight and get it in the air. Repeatedly. I could hit everything straight and get it in the air. And the grass marks were all right around the center of the club face. I had trouble wiping the grin off of my face.

This is probably less about the specific benefits of the Gmax irons themselves than of the benefits of proper fitting and 25+ years of technology improvement. But if you're in the same place I was, all I can say is go get yourself fit and get some modern sticks. As far as Gmax goes, I wasn't bothered by the reported high pitched sound at all, probably because I wasn't used to hearing the sweet, muted sound of an on-center hit all that often anyway. And the looks? Man, who cares? I can hit these babies!

I'll post an update after a round or two on the course.

Last edited:
Back