PING i230 Irons and iCrossover

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
While there has been ample discussion on the new iron releases from PING on the THP Community for many weeks now, today is the day we can officially discuss just what this release holds for the company. There is a significant swath of golfers who have not so patiently been waiting for the release of PING’s newest iSeries irons and iCrossover, and with that has come much speculation. How about we get down to reality instead?

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I root for Ping as I grew up on them. Will always take a look at their releases. Nothing screams “must buy” at the moment, but will hit a few in the bay to see if the performance is there.

And here we are…. I don’t know that they scream “buy me” like I hoped. I’ve been called a Ping homer before and that’s only because my best iron play was with i200s. I’ll give these a try for sure. The iCrossover adjustability is kinda cool. Not sure if can unseat the large amount of Mizuno Pro Fli Hi users. I’ll try it as well but really am not that interested. Good info @Jman

I own a couple Ping woods and fairways, but their irons never did anything that made me care for them at all, much less want to own them.

The irons look pretty good for Ping. I’ve never loved the brand aesthetics, but I could live with these.

The crossover looks really difficult to hit :beat-up: Adjustable hosel is cool though.

And here we are…. I don’t know that they scream “buy me” like I hoped. I’ve been called a Ping homer before and that’s only because my best iron play was with i200s. I’ll give these a try for sure. The iCrossover adjustability is kinda cool. Not sure if can unseat the large amount of Mizuno Pro Fli Hi users. I’ll try it as well but really am not that interested. Good info @Jman
Id love to hear your experience in testing as you consider your next set.

They look really clean!

@Jman - great article. Could you elaborate on the 4-piece badging? I’ve always thought due to club design naivety that the badge was the single piece folks put on the back for look and sound, really curious how they use multiple pieces

• Staff
Honestly, I’m a bit surprised how underplayed they were about the information we received on the irons. It really feels again like they’re still “We’re PING, here they are, changed a couple things, buy them”

For whatever reason, I like the look of the screw in the toe. Tells me there's a tech story there. The contour on the back of the club makes it look like they came with bag clatter built in.

@Jman - great article. Could you elaborate on the 4-piece badging? I’ve always thought due to club design naivety that the badge was the single piece folks put on the back for look and sound, really curious how they use multiple pieces
Sure!

The badge is for looks and sound in the cavity of the club, but a lot of companies make it look one piece, while actually using multiple levels of material and shape/placement to achieve the look they want while also ensuring the filtering of negative feedback to the ears and hands which create “feel” many of us are picky about. PING has always been among the head of the class when it comes to this, as I said in the release article, they broke the idea that cast irons cannot feel good.

For whatever reason, I like the look of the screw in the toe. Tells me there's a tech story there. The contour on the back of the club makes it look like they came with bag clatter built in.
I’m surprised it took them this long to move it over from the G series irons.

It’s more visible tech than the old internally pressed tungsten, and it’s easier for them to adjust and tune for fitting.

Very very well written @Jman I like that they shortened the iCrossover. These look really clean too!

It’s more visible tech than the old internally pressed tungsten, and it’s easier for them to adjust and tune for fitting.
I just looked back and as far as I can tell this is the first new i series since they started the toe screw. It’s been a while.

You've been busy lately @Jman :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The irons look clean and it sounds like there's some goodness packed in there with the lighter weight and helping with launch, I just have no desire to hit them. They don't jump out and say "hey swing me!"

You've been busy lately @Jman :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The irons look clean and it sounds like there's some goodness packed in there with the lighter weight and helping with launch, I just have no desire to hit them. They don't jump out and say "hey swing me!"
It’s my favorite time of year!

To be fair though, Ping debuted the screw toe in March 2018 in the G700 irons. Then in their G410 irons in Feg 2019 with the G410. The last i series iron (i210) came out in July 2018. So this is really their first opportunity to implement it in that line. I can't speak for Ping, but my guess is they were not there yet on the toe screw for a playes iron with the 210 model back in aught 18.

I’ll hit them as soon as I can and may buy them. But they are a few hundred more than the Hot Metal Pros. They better stand out.

To be fair though, Ping debuted the screw toe in March 2018 in the G700 irons. Then in their G410 irons in Feg 2019 with the G410. The last i series iron (i210) came out in July 2018. So this is really their first opportunity to implement it in that line. I can't speak for Ping, but my guess is they were not there yet on the tow screw for a playes iron with the 210 model back in aught 18.
Not sure what’s to be fair there, that’s a them problem that it’s taken 4 years for this. I’m still surprised it made its way over, with the Tour play the iSeries get, it’s typically not a clean enough look.

Not sure what’s to be fair there, that’s a them problem that it’s taken 4 years for this. I’m still surprised it made its way over, with the Tour play the iSeries get, it’s typically not a clean enough look.
You know Ping. They are not a lets put out a new line just for the sake of it. Has to be an improvement. I'm sure this was in the pipeline for years, but with Covid and the subsequent supply chain debacle, maybe they wanted to hold off to get it right and not have delays on delivering clubs.

My initial comment was simply to state they couldn't roll out the toe screw because its been over 4 yrs since the last model. Now if they had a new i model in 2020 that didn't feature the toe screw then I could see the comment.

Either way, I am glad they have a new i series iron out. Long overdue and IMHO this one looks really nice.
I will give it a look as I gamed the i200 for a while last year and this year and shot my best every round (68 -2) with them. Dummy me for trading them in 2 weeks ago :unsure:

Roast me if you feel the need. I’m happy it’s not hollow. I’m happy it’s Ping cast.

I do seriously question how it would improve my game over my present set. Time will answer this part.

Roast me if you feel the need. I’m happy it’s not hollow. I’m happy it’s Ping cast.

I do seriously question how it would improve my game over my present set. Time will answer this part.

I like that is is cast as well. I don't know what it is, but hollow irons (other than the large hybrid type irons) just always seem to launch lower and spin less for me than cast clubs. Maybe its their cog and weighting, not sure.

I know the i200/210s were some of the highest launching and spinning in my testing. My local shop said the same thing, they always go to the i210's if a customer of their's needs launch and spin. So kinda hoping Ping stuck to their guns there and that these retain those performance characteristics.

They are priced very high compared to past offerings! One concern is that water/dirt may collect inside the badge as it appears to have small gaps! I am sure if that happens and causes some damage or even noise that Ping will take care of it but it kinda seems like a "design" flaw.

You know Ping. They are not a lets put out a new line just for the sake of it. Has to be an improvement.

i don't have as much familiarity with ping as many, but the little time i've spent with them i don't know that i would agree with this. i don't think g410 or g425 were better than g400.

Nice write up! Curious to see them in the store but they look really nice in photos. Quite the jump in price from the i210s but that was to be expected

Back