Ping K15 Driver Review

Ok so I had 4 drivers this winter and I have sold all except the k15. I wanted those other drivers to work because they had better bag appeal but the k15 worked best for my crap swing. Im still trying to get an r1 to play with but my x2hot 588 custom and bio cell are on their way to other members to test. I'm also still intrigued by the g30 sftec.

The G30 SFtec to me is a similar beast. Both are easy to hit and keep the right side out of play. The G30 SFTec that I hit was longer than the last K15 I owned (for my swing). It will be interesting to see if my newer (lower lofted) K15 produces similar results as the G30.

I do like the G30 better visually. The better paint job isn't worth the price difference though.

Finally got to hit my 15. As I've stated I put a PL Red Speedcoat shaft in mine. I got to the range yesterday. Was going to buy either an Anser or an I25. I was all set to buy. Hit both drivers. But also hit the K15 as a control. It wasn't even close. The K just blew the other 2 into the dust.

Hit perfect medium high bombs straight out. If I missed a little left it just curved right back on line. Mine is cut to 45 1/4 same length as the Anser. Didn't buy any drivers yesterday. I am so glad I bought a spare. I am sold on the K15. I have the 3,5 and 7 woods as well. I've bagged the 5 all last year and hit the 7 on the range. Both have been spectacular. I have high hopes for the 3 wood. But I am thinking it may need a shaft change. Something to consider this spring.

All in all I believe that Ping made a great set of woods here and I'm very glad I joined the club. Love looking at all the K 15 head covers in my bag.

Mark Shuman

Finally got to hit my 15. As I've stated I put a PL Red Speedcoat shaft in mine. I got to the range yesterday. Was going to buy either an Anser or an I25. I was all set to buy. Hit both drivers. But also hit the K15 as a control. It wasn't even close. The K just blew the other 2 into the dust.

Hit perfect medium high bombs straight out. If I missed a little left it just curved right back on line. Mine is cut to 45 1/4 same length as the Anser. Didn't buy any drivers yesterday. I am so glad I bought a spare. I am sold on the K15. I have the 3,5 and 7 woods as well. I've bagged the 5 all last year and hit the 7 on the range. Both have been spectacular. I have high hopes for the 3 wood. But I am thinking it may need a shaft change. Something to consider this spring.

All in all I believe that Ping made a great set of woods here and I'm very glad I joined the club. Love looking at all the K 15 head covers in my bag.

Mark Shuman

Crazy how these still get high marks for both driver and FW with all the "new" technology since. I'm hunting for a 7 wood and possibly a 3.

Check at Dick's they can check the US and if a store has one they will ship directly to your store. Thats how I got the 7 and the 3 wood. Supply is running out though. The 5 came from Florida and the 3 came from Cally. Give it a shot, all the sales person has to do is look. Assuming you have a decent sales person who will spend the time.

Mark Shuman

Yea Chad I agree. With all the hype on the new stuff these old K's quietly go about doin business. Kinda funny how when the were around nobody wanted any. Now there gone and people are just finding out just how good they are. Especially after a shaft change.

Mark Shuman

Check at Dick's they can check the US and if a store has one they will ship directly to your store. Thats how I got the 7 and the 3 wood. Supply is running out though. The 5 came from Florida and the 3 came from Cally. Give it a shot, all the sales person has to do is look. Assuming you have a decent sales person who will spend the time.

Mark Shuman

Good idea thanks. The FW's are off the website but may be in store inventory.

Yea Chad I agree. With all the hype on the new stuff these old K's quietly go about doin business. Kinda funny how when the were around nobody wanted any. Now there gone and people are just finding out just how good they are. Especially after a shaft change.

Mark Shuman

When I played the K15 driver, it was without a doubt one of the best drivers I ever owned. If I had to, I'd be happy to go back to playing one. They can hype the new clubs all they want, but if they worked when they came out, they still work. The very reason my driver is a much older model. It still does the job.

My last K15 was a 10.5 that probably was playing like a 12.5-14. Ping heads are notoriously higher than stamped loft. It hit high moon balls that just didn't roll out (with my ascending strike). I did hit 75%+ fairways over about a 9 month period of time with it. I sold it though because it was short (with my swing) and it sounded horrible.

Due to the price drops, I recently purchased a K15 in 9.5 R. I actually like the TFC shaft and always have. It's made by UST.

I took it out to the range for the first time yesterday. It definitely hit higher than my other drivers I brought out at the same time. The sound was definitely on the louder side. Both of those were as I remembered.

The pros though were as I remembered as well. First, it looks insanely forgiving standing over the ball. This one is 45 and I brought along another driver at 45 and one at 44.75 and the K15 looked way bigger/easier to hit. Talk about confidence inspiring.

The second thing is that it just takes the right side out of play for me. I had a target line and every ball was a draw or dead straight. I was swinging inside out with all clubs yesterday, but that miss is a pull/hook or a straight push (if the face is open). I never left the face open with the K15, though I did see some pull hooks. I'd bet 80% of my shots would have hit a fairway.

Distance was good. I'm not sure it is as long as my gamer (kind of hard to tell on the range), but it was definitely longer than the other club I brought along (2015 lower launch/spin model).

I'm going to take it out to play with. I think this will be at least the back up driver. If I could get fairways up to around 80%, then my scoring would definitely drop. The rest of my game has improved and removing penalty strokes and wasted shots (like recovery) are what I need to do to get where I realistically think I can go.

Bumping up with a bit of an update.

If you put a terrible swing on the ball, yes you sure as heck can slice with this driver :) BUT... that's a total rarity. Shots with this driver for me are now either dead straight, a slight draw, or a hook off the face of the planet.

My club ho'ing got the best of me and I picked up an Amp Cell for a song. Both drivers are at 44.5", and I put a midsize grip on the AC. The first time I had them out, the AC was giving me better dispersion for sure, with a lower ballflight. Today, though, the K15 was just rock solid. It just sounds and feels awesome when you catch the ball in the middle of the face, and toe/heel hits aren't all that punishing. If I can figure out why I randomly snap hook and stop doing that (for the record, I was doing it with both drivers) I think the K15 is my gamer and the AC will be a backup or a loaner. I definitely also want to get a midsize put on it as well just to see if that helps with the hooks too.

I had a terrible time last year with banana balls. I've been working on swing improvements and have played the local executive course twice so far this year. So, I haven't used the driver a lot, but it is going really straight! Not that far... but straight. Tonight on the longest hole, which was playing 366, I hit driver and was left with 136 from the left side of the fairway/short rough.

I bought the K15 in 10.5 stiff. It's possible I don't have the club speed to ideally be playing a stiff shaft, but I'll take the results so far. I also have a Biocell driver (10.5 regular) that I'll have to get out and hit them head to head later on. I wouldn't be surprised if the Biocell is longer, but I was constantly in the woods when playing it.

Dave

I had bought a bio cell from a member this winter and it was not as straight for me as the k15. Im not sure about distance as this was at the range. I sold all my drivers I think I was up to 4 of em this winter. First round will hopefully be sunday and IlI try my k15 for the first time on course.

Bumping up with a bit of an update.

If you put a terrible swing on the ball, yes you sure as heck can slice with this driver :) BUT... that's a total rarity. Shots with this driver for me are now either dead straight, a slight draw, or a hook off the face of the planet.

My club ho'ing got the best of me and I picked up an Amp Cell for a song. Both drivers are at 44.5", and I put a midsize grip on the AC. The first time I had them out, the AC was giving me better dispersion for sure, with a lower ballflight. Today, though, the K15 was just rock solid. It just sounds and feels awesome when you catch the ball in the middle of the face, and toe/heel hits aren't all that punishing. If I can figure out why I randomly snap hook and stop doing that (for the record, I was doing it with both drivers) I think the K15 is my gamer and the AC will be a backup or a loaner. I definitely also want to get a midsize put on it as well just to see if that helps with the hooks too.

I've had and loved both. Not surprised they are 1 and 1a for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so 2 rounds in and its staying. Just hate the way it looks but the performance is great. Really does go straight which by itself increases my distance. As long as I am paying attention its point and shoot.

OK, thanks to you guys and others who always compare drivers to the K15 "Yeah, but is it as straight as the K15?" I picked one of these up over winter. I have played a few rounds with it, and it is straight. My only complaint with it is distance. It does not seem to be as long as other driver's I have owned, especially on mishits. Been thinking of picking up a Bio Cell, but I do not want to lose the forgiveness of the K15. Any suggestions on a newer driver that may have the forgiveness of the K15 but more distance?

I'd say the SFTec G30 would be right up your alley. Newer tech and shafts for added yards with the same squared face forgiveness.

Thanks, my problem is where I live. I am 2 hours from a good club fitter. I have local guys around here, but launch monitors are not prevalent.

I'd say the SFTec G30 would be right up your alley. Newer tech and shafts for added yards with the same squared face forgiveness.

This right here ^^^^^ I've owned a ton of driver's since my K15, none as straight, UNTIL the new SFTec G30. I like it even BETTER than the K15.

I'm like you 6foot9_41 in that my closest fitter is 2.5 hours away. I bought the SFTec G30 sight unseen with the Tour 65 shaft when they came out and got lucky. It's like this thing is made for me.

The SFTec is why I went after the K15 in the first place. After hitting new drivers at Golfsmith the fitter recommended the G30 line based on forgiveness across the face and dispersion. I couldn't justify the price right now so the K15 was the next best thing, and will be my gamer for this season.

So I guess what you are saying is the Bio Cell may not be a good option as far as forgiveness goes and I should save my pennies for the G30?

Well, after writing this I thought I would perform my own little test. My current drivers are a K15 and an R1. A few others that don't work for me, but I went out today and this is what I found. R1 is 30 yards longer when I hit it well. When I don't it is a lost ball or 2 fairways left. K15 is 30 yards shorter off the middle of the face, but when I mishit it is normally playable. Keep in mind I am an above average size human so an average under control driver swing speed is 110-115 mph. If I lay off any more than that, things go bad. My normal miss is a hook. How about some more suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, after writing this I thought I would perform my own little test. My current drivers are a K15 and an R1. A few others that don't work for me, but I went out today and this is what I found. R1 is 30 yards longer when I hit it well. When I don't it is a lost ball or 2 fairways left. K15 is 30 yards shorter off the middle of the face, but when I mishit it is normally playable. Keep in mind I am an above average size human so an average under control driver swing speed is 110-115 mph. If I lay off any more than that, things go bad. My normal miss is a hook. How about some more suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like the K15 is spinning too much. Stock shaft might be the culprit. I have owned 6 k15's, 3 with the stock shaft and three with aftermarkets. The aftermarkets all performed better for me. My best was a 12* K15 with a Miyazaki B Asha. It held it's own against the 12* G25 I owned at the time. I know Ping typically does well with their stock offerings but the TFC in the K15 I felt wasn't all that great.

I have an Motore F8 in my K15 and my R1 is a TP.

Has anyone tried a K15 driver with a shorter/heavier shaft? If so, what were your findings?

Back