Ping K15 Driver Review

Russ hopefully you work a deal with phread. You are definitely not getting mine. I really enjoyed hitting it today. I hope you do to.

Glad to know how much you enjoyed hitting it!

The common feeling among former K15 owners it seems is "why did I ever get rid of it??????" Looks like you won't be making that mistake.

The craziest part is I really wanted the Bio Cell to work for me. Generally when I want something to work it will; but the K15 is easier to hit no doubt for my swing.

Glad to know how much you enjoyed hitting it!

The common feeling among former K15 owners it seems is "why did I ever get rid of it??????" Looks like you won't be making that mistake.

The craziest part is I really wanted the Bio Cell to work for me. Generally when I want something to work it will; but the K15 is easier to hit no doubt for my swing.

Do you plan on selling the 588 custom ?
Do you think the 588 is the least forgiving of the three ?
I might be interested depending on the loft, but probably only the head.

Do you plan on selling the 588 custom ?
Do you think the 588 is the least forgiving of the three ?
I might be interested depending on the loft, but probably only the head.

I love the 588 custom when I am on I can work it both ways. I gamed it all last year and had a great year driving the ball; I don't find it to be penal at all. It seems I get bored every winter up here and acquire a bunch drivers to hit. The bio cell is probably really good but once I hit a few poorly it stays in my head. The 1st time I hit the 588 I knew it was gonna work for me. The k15 is really point and shoot. As of now bio cell goes the other 2 stay I'll let you know if anything changes. I really love the feel and lightweight of the 588. I would recommend it especially at the price these probably go for these days.

I love the 588 custom when I am on I can work it both ways. I gamed it all last year and had a great year driving the ball; I don't find it to be penal at all. It seems I get bored every winter up here and acquire a bunch drivers to hit. The bio cell is probably really good but once I hit a few poorly it stays in my head. The 1st time I hit the 588 I knew it was gonna work for me. The k15 is really point and shoot. As of now bio cell goes the other 2 stay I'll let you know if anything changes. I really love the feel and lightweight of the 588. I would recommend it especially at the price these probably go for these days.

Thanks, the 588 driver has worked well for me the few times I've hit it.

Russ I saw the PM if it falls apart I've got a box ready. Let me know.

Mark Shuman

My local Galaxy had one brand new one left for $89 yesterday. 10.5* S flex.

Hey Russ, you too got mail. I Pm'd you about payment and my address. It's yours if you want it. I think price is fair. Not trying to make anything on it. Just paying it forward. Wanna see it go to a good home.

Mark Shuman

Guys lets remember to keep sales to the proper section of the forum.

JB I understand. I sent Russ a PM and he immediatly answered. I sent contact info and didn't hear back right away. Just making sure he knows it's his if he wants it.

I have my own K15 story. I lucked into 2 9 1/2's at Dick's being closed out. Got them for 52$ each. One is in R flex and one in S. I'm having the S reshafted this week with a Prolaunch Red regular flex with Speedcoat. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it. Should bring the launch down some and give me the flight I need.

Will fit in nicely with the K15 3,5 and 7 woods I have. They just plain work for me. Hoping the 9 1/2 PL red will work as well.

Mark Shuman

Earlier this week, I received the K15 driver that phread59 passed along my way for a great price (thanks again!). I immediately had it cut down to 44.5" as an experiment and regripped. Center of face contact is an issue for me, and I wanted to try a slightly shorter driver since I normally choke up on my Big Bertha. Today I hit the sim for an hour. Here's the average shot shape with the K15:

IMG_0392.JPG

Just left of center. Aside from a few slices that didn't go anywhere near as right as my normal terrible tee shot, everything was either a draw or a very very slight pull. There was no comparison between the two drivers. I just had so much more confidence with the K15 and the way the head and face looked, vs. the more compact Bertha.

So I'm pretty sure the Bertha is going to be in the Marketplace tonight. All the stories of the K15 being a fairway finder are dead on.

Glad it worked for you. It was slice city and huge sky high hits for me. However the 9 1/2 works well for me. I had one reshafted in a PL Red. Can't wait to hit it in the real world.

Mark Shuman

Russ, did you see any loss of distance by cutting it down from 45.75" to 44.5"? Thinking of trimming mine down a bit as well ... it's either that or going back to the 910D2, but I want a different shaft than the one I have.

Earlier this week, I received the K15 driver that phread59 passed along my way for a great price (thanks again!). I immediately had it cut down to 44.5" as an experiment and regripped. Center of face contact is an issue for me, and I wanted to try a slightly shorter driver since I normally choke up on my Big Bertha. Today I hit the sim for an hour. Here's the average shot shape with the K15:

IMG_0392.JPG

Just left of center. Aside from a few slices that didn't go anywhere near as right as my normal terrible tee shot, everything was either a draw or a very very slight pull. There was no comparison between the two drivers. I just had so much more confidence with the K15 and the way the head and face looked, vs. the more compact Bertha.

So I'm pretty sure the Bertha is going to be in the Marketplace tonight. All the stories of the K15 being a fairway finder are dead on.

Russ what where your swing speed, distance, and spin numbers? Your dispersion looks like it would be very beneficial on the course. I am tempted to try some other drivers before the season starts but I have a feeling I will be wasting my time.

Russ, did you see any loss of distance by cutting it down from 45.75" to 44.5"? Thinking of trimming mine down a bit as well ... it's either that or going back to the 910D2, but I want a different shaft than the one I have.

Nope. I was hitting the K15 5-10 yards further than the Bertha, and far straighter. Now, granted, I didn't spend the time to mess around with the Bertha settings to come up with comparable ball flight as best as I could (It's set at 11.5*N with the sliding weight at 2 draw). But I ran so hot and cold with that driver that seeing the much straighter ballflight with the K15 consistently was awesome. I will say that the weight difference between the two was noticeable, though.

Russ what where your swing speed, distance, and spin numbers? Your dispersion looks like it would be very beneficial on the course. I am tempted to try some other drivers before the season starts but I have a feeling I will be wasting my time.

Can't tell you spin, but I can say that my average swing was 93mph with distance around 230. If I really got after it, I hit it closer to 240 but dispersion got worse. I'm not a fast swinger, which is something I've been working on. So distance isn't huge with me, but being in the fairway absolutely is. My swing got a bit better after getting some driver lessons and learning I was setting up with my shoulders way too open, but I was still good for a big ol' slice a few times (or more) every round. I was setting up the same way with both clubs yesterday, and the K15 was consistently straighter at the beginning and the end of the sim session.

Yeah, I tend to do the same with driver ... set my shoulders way too open. Saw a huge difference last round once I recognized my problem and corrected it.

Who thought hitting the big dog would be so difficult.

Nope. I was hitting the K15 5-10 yards further than the Bertha, and far straighter. Now, granted, I didn't spend the time to mess around with the Bertha settings to come up with comparable ball flight as best as I could (It's set at 11.5*N with the sliding weight at 2 draw). But I ran so hot and cold with that driver that seeing the much straighter ballflight with the K15 consistently was awesome. I will say that the weight difference between the two was noticeable, though.

Can't tell you spin, but I can say that my average swing was 93mph with distance around 230. If I really got after it, I hit it closer to 240 but dispersion got worse. I'm not a fast swinger, which is something I've been working on. So distance isn't huge with me, but being in the fairway absolutely is. My swing got a bit better after getting some driver lessons and learning I was setting up with my shoulders way too open, but I was still good for a big ol' slice a few times (or more) every round. I was setting up the same way with both clubs yesterday, and the K15 was consistently straighter at the beginning and the end of the sim session.

I still have mine the stock length and choke down about an inch. I don't love the grip so when I change it I might lop off half an inch.

Yeah, I tend to do the same with driver ... set my shoulders way too open. Saw a huge difference last round once I recognized my problem and corrected it.

Who thought hitting the big dog would be so difficult.

When I was setting up, the pro put a shaft across my shoulder line, it was pointing 30 yards left my my target. So when I set up, he has me pulling my left shoulder back, and what felt extremely far back to me was actually pretty much square.

I still have mine the stock length and choke down about an inch. I don't love the grip so when I change it I might lop off half an inch.

I also tend to grip down on woods and hybrids, so going to 44.5" and putting a Lamkin Crossline on it felt really good.

One other thing I wanted to note was that some other reviews of the K15 talk about the club setting up closed. It looked perfectly square to my eyes, far better than the Bertha when set to the D setting or my old offset Cobra LD Speed.

When I was setting up, the pro put a shaft across my shoulder line, it was pointing 30 yards left my my target. So when I set up, he has me pulling my left shoulder back, and what felt extremely far back to me was actually pretty much square.

I also tend to grip down on woods and hybrids, so going to 44.5" and putting a Lamkin Crossline on it felt really good.

One other thing I wanted to note was that some other reviews of the K15 talk about the club setting up closed. It looked perfectly square to my eyes, far better than the Bertha when set to the D setting or my old offset Cobra LD Speed.

I think it might be closer to square - but many other drivers appear to set up open to me. Thus - this one looks closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ will it last the season? Are you going to keep working the K? Or do you see some other clubs coming into play as well.

Russ will it last the season? Are you going to keep working the K? Or do you see some other clubs coming into play as well.

I'm confident enough that the Bertha's listed so I can upgrade my irons. Hitting 3 off the tee was a huge problem for me last season, and I think the K15 will go a long way to getting some of my scores down.

Right after the holidays I was at GolfSmith hitting some of the new drivers, and the fitter recommended the G30 SFTec to me after seeing my shot shape and where I was catching the ball on the face, which is what started me on the quest (again) for the K15. The G30 gave me the best numbers out of the Cally V-Series and 815, also the TM Aeroburner. So if I move away from the K, it'll most likely be because I scored a deal on an SFTec.

I'm confident enough that the Bertha's listed so I can upgrade my irons. Hitting 3 off the tee was a huge problem for me last season, and I think the K15 will go a long way to getting some of my scores down.

Right after the holidays I was at GolfSmith hitting some of the new drivers, and the fitter recommended the G30 SFTec to me after seeing my shot shape and where I was catching the ball on the face, which is what started me on the quest (again) for the K15. The G30 gave me the best numbers out of the Cally V-Series and 815, also the TM Aeroburner. So if I move away from the K, it'll most likely be because I scored a deal on an SFTec.

Im gonna add a x2 hot and maybe a 910d2. After that I will know what 2015 will be and the rest to bst.

I played the K15 for a season and had my best % of fairways hit out of any driver I've ever tried. This was over a large sample size of drives, so it wasn't just a hot run. I had a ton of confidence standing over the ball, particularly given that my driver miss is the high push slice.

I went away from the K15 because it had virtually no roll out. I had a 10.5 that I think was playing more like 12.5 if I'd have had it digitally lofted.

I have a 9.5 K15 on order. I love my XHot but have always wanted to try a K15 with lower loft. It will be interesting to see if the K15 is as long because the XHot is the longest driver I have owned (for my swing).

My only real knock with the K15 is the grip. I'm not a fan of the stock Ping one. When I regrip it, I'm going to cut it down to 44.75. That's what my last K15 was and what I play my XHot at.

I played the K15 for a season and had my best % of fairways hit out of any driver I've ever tried. This was over a large sample size of drives, so it wasn't just a hot run. I had a ton of confidence standing over the ball, particularly given that my driver miss is the high push slice.

I went away from the K15 because it had virtually no roll out. I had a 10.5 that I think was playing more like 12.5 if I'd have had it digitally lofted.

I have a 9.5 K15 on order. I love my XHot but have always wanted to try a K15 with lower loft. It will be interesting to see if the K15 is as long because the XHot is the longest driver I have owned (for my swing).

My only real knock with the K15 is the grip. I'm not a fan of the stock Ping one. When I regrip it, I'm going to cut it down to 44.75. That's what my last K15 was and what I play my XHot at.

Do you lead tape your xhot after you cut it?

Back