Playing Copperhead in Tournament Conditions

It was a fantastic experience, we both were trying to force shots on the front 9 and the results were humbling. The rough was crazy, if you missed the fairway chopping out to the fairway was the only option. Being a short hitter, most of my approach shots were from 190-230 and I tried to force long irons of hybrids and I was in at least 12 or more greenside traps and surprisingly the sand was crap, very thin and hard.
We both pared 10 and the back was pretty good with both of us making a few pars (Bryan made quite a few) and that saved me from going real high. I was actually really happy with the 105 from 7,200, we played as far back as possible on every hole and with my strokes we finished all square.
The second 18 was on the Island course and it was kind of a letdown condition wise. We played front 6,600 so still a bear for me, Bryan hit some beautiful shots and crushed his driver all afternoon. He closed me out on 17 ftw!!
Overall it was one of my favorite days of golf ever, certainly in the top 3. I am one sore old guy and will pay dearly tomorrow I am afraid..

I’ve got some pictures that I wanna upload but it’s being a pain.

but today’s round(s) was so much fun. I would love to have that front nine back. Bad shots were not had by neither me or Jim but it was certainly more mental. The distance got into our head and we were pressing instead of trying to enjoy the course. I thought I could do it again but I just don’t think I would enjoy it as much as today because of the conditions. The Pros have it so good every week!

Attachments

• E075F304-6DEB-4A1E-BC0B-0833298CCAFA.jpeg
    E075F304-6DEB-4A1E-BC0B-0833298CCAFA.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 0788D645-2C60-4C88-BAD6-DAC9686739A2.jpeg
    0788D645-2C60-4C88-BAD6-DAC9686739A2.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 68BED746-5ABE-4232-BA8A-75B2B723E79A.jpeg
    68BED746-5ABE-4232-BA8A-75B2B723E79A.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 25
  • A48FB14E-ECDE-47D4-836B-AF93FC1261F2.jpeg
    A48FB14E-ECDE-47D4-836B-AF93FC1261F2.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 27
  • F6D71790-02DB-4B83-A087-3313776BF082.jpeg
    F6D71790-02DB-4B83-A087-3313776BF082.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 22
That looks like it was pristine. Still playing pretty firm?

Great photos, sounds like you guys had a great day!

Thanks for the photos. It looks narrow.

Great day, good score, tough course, love the pictures!

Thanks for sharing your experience and the photos, fellas!

Looked like a fun time on a hard and beautiful course, @jim54.

Good stuff. 18 is up a big hill and covering that front bunker and then holding the green is very challenging. The par 4 two holes after the signature par 5 is the toughest hole on the course. Fairway is so narrow, the water in play on both drive and approach....In the trees left was my standard. Great place. Thanks sharing.

Just caught up on this, great pictures and glad you had a good experience.

Great course and playing in tournament conditions is always tough. When we had a European Masters at Woburn, the members would play an event on the Monday , using tournament tees and pins from the previous day. Nobody played to handicap.

Copperhead was a great track, and looked in perfect condition.

Looks like the course was in great shape! I'd really like to play it on the other side of the year, in something resembling normal conditions.

Watching the final round from last year now on golf channel. What an opportunity you had! Playing from the tips is insane! But memorable I’m sure.

Looks like I may be giving this a go tomorrow, I'll attempt to add photos to the same thread. May drop one in the rough and video that disaster as well.

Well I learned a lesson from playing 36 at Innisbrook from 7,200 and 6,600, it is very,very, hard on the back..not while playing mind you, as it felt great...Very painful from Tuesday on and even with daily stretching I may not play the money game tomorrow.

Can't trick an old body into acting like a young body....

Looks like I may be giving this a go tomorrow, I'll attempt to add photos to the same thread. May drop one in the rough and video that disaster as well.

your optimism borders on totally delusional. you won't be in the rough? only way you'll be able to talk a video is if you drop one in the rough? bless your heart.

your optimism borders on totally delusional. you won't be in the rough? only way you'll be able to talk a video is if you drop one in the rough? bless your heart.

It was more, "am I going to remember to actually take a video" and the answer was no.. No I was not. That being said, wasn't in the rough all that often. Found more fairway bunkers (3) and pinestraw (3) than rough (1).

I was surprised how hard and packed the bunkers were. Unfortunately I tested a lot of the greenside bunkers. My sand game has been awful lately, but after those two rounds I am pretty darn good.

I was surprised how hard and packed the bunkers were. Unfortunately I tested a lot of the greenside bunkers. My sand game has been awful lately, but after those two rounds I am pretty darn good.
Practice green bunker was firm and fantastic. Literally the type of sand I love to hit out of. On the course? Not even close to the same consistency.

Back