Playing different tees than your playing partners

I played with the wife today as a twosome and sharing cart. I played my whites & she played her reds and we still kept pace with the 4some in front.

Congrats, but a twosome should never have any trouble keeping up with a foursome. Never.

I played the whites (while walking) while 2 guys I paired up with played the blues (while carting). Works just fine, have myself ready to go (tee/glove) and as soon as they hit head up to my tee box get my yardage and grab the right stick.

I think like everything, if you are prepared and ready to play it will work out. If you aren't... well things are going to go slowly.

I will say that I've played any number of rounds with a mixed group playing different tees, and I've never seen it cause any pace of play issues.

Has anyone said that playing mixed tees will cause slow play? Maybe I missed it.

I actually just ran across this the other day. I was playing the back tees for myself and they paired me with a couple of guys who said they were going to play the whites. Pretty simple I just hit first every time. Had a fun time with them too

I don't mind playing from other tees, and I will if I feel a course will become too difficult for me from the tips. I have some stubborn friend who keep believing they have the skill to play from the tips on a world-class course in the area. I'm not to proud to admit I haven't, so I play one tee forward.

Been playing golf for 31 years. Until probably the last 2 years I played as far back as I could get. Even though my game supported the men's tees or maybe one set back. I know realize it created misery for me on the course. As I get older and my game gets shorter. I am fully accepting of the fact that I need to play forward and it had improved my overall enjoyment of golf.

Tap Talking my way thru the World of golf!

Heres my 2cents on this, i myself will usually just play where everyone else is playing, i am a long hitter so going back wont hurt me too much, however, i have seen others like me who just go with the group and it isnt beneficial to them, like most of us they feel its just more convenient to the group, if u know your game u should go from where your comfortable, for the most part it wont hold things up enough to matter. Now, there are courses where tees dont make a whole lot of difference, and vice versa, i feel it should depend on such factors as lenght, accuracy, and overall game, just because your long with driver shouldnt determine, are you consistent with it? Would moving up a little and taking a club your more consistent with, and finding the best spot in fairway help you more than the occasional great drive you hit? When im alone i'll usually play one off the tips, but when i move up and play more strategically i score better, of course its not as fun because like most, i wanna crush my driver too! For me, and please try not to take offense to this, but what bothers me when some people are at the tips is, theyre struggling just to make it to fairway, usually end up swinging out of sync and produce a lot of wayward shots, and for the most part it always seems to me its a group of younger guys that truly dont have the game to be back there, but wanna say "i played from the tips" if your game allows you, by all means play back, if you dont have groups begining to pile up behind u, go for it! And for the shorter hitters, dont be afraid to say no to back tees, i get that u wanna keep the peace, but its not worth ruining your day, and that goes same for long ballers too! I dont think the time is really lost on the boxes, its a lot to do with ready golf, looking for wayward shots, etc.

good post imo but couple problems with saying a longer hitter should move up due to inconsistency is this. Sometimes its just a bad day where the player is simply not finding his driver play that day. Of course he doesn't now this or think its going to continue through many holes until it actually does. People will comment how he shouldn't be at the tees he is at but don't consider its just a bad day for him from the tees where its not his normal game. The other problem is that when one does hit long enough even though he may not have the consistency and then play forward it takes the driver out of his hands sometimes all together and that I don't think is fair. You see, imo even though he may be inconstant which also means at times shorter than what he is capable, the player cant really use the driver when he moves up due to hole layout and the fact that when he hits a good one it can often be trouble instead of in good play. Things like playing forward on a dogleg, a hole with hazards, and/or simply not favorable for a longer shot from more forward tees, etc will cause the longer (even if inconsistent) hitter to be forced to club down in case he does hit a decent shot with his driver. Its like basically telling and forcing one to keep his driver home and imo that's not fair to do.

So imo its just not such a simple thing.

I've got no problem playing different tees than my playing partners. Happens all the time and each time I make sure to play ready golf and not hold them up if I'm playing tees behind or in front of where they're teeing it up at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got no problem playing different tees than my playing partners. Happens all the time and each time I make sure to play ready golf and not hold them up if I'm playing tees behind or in front of where they're teeing it up at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never really understood why different tees among the same group should cause any delay at all or cause one to be extra concerned for causing a delay. I mean ya just go and tee up and hit and everyone follows suit the same way as if hitting from same tees. Its no more "ready golf" imo than it should be normally. The times I've been involved in a group playing different tees I never witnessed any delays because of it that I can recall. Usually everyone gets themselves ready as possible and the shots are made accordingly. Its no different imo than when four people are at four different places any which way you can imagine for their approach shots. Its no detriment in that scenario so why should there be any problem at all when at different tees? I don't really know but perhaps it hasn't happened all that much for me to see when it doesn't work so smoothly.

One of the guys I play regular with will be moving from whites to seniors in the next month so it will be the first we haven't played the same tees. I usually move up from blue to white when I play with him but I wont be moving up to seniors tees as I feel its an unfair advantage. He hits a solid 220-230 on good drives so he should be a beast from the senior tees for awhile. I expect his scores to drop a bit in correlation as well.

Phenom

I'd have to ask why is he moving up? Is it just because he can? I play from the whites, and his driving distance is right there with me. Just curious as to his reasoning...

I'll play them all and will usually play the box most are playing from. Also depends on pace on the course. For instance...was playing with a group that had women's tee box and men's tee box being used. Even though I couldn't use driver that day, I played up to avoid a third box.

On the opposite side...had a group where some young guns were playing tips and another gentleman wanted to play up one box. I'm always game for some tips action but wanted to show the other two about correct tee box (saw them hitting on the range before the round). They were so mad they weren't making up the difference from tee boxes and were trying to swing out of their shoes losing balls. I was 1 to 2 shots better usually before they flexed and they finally moved up. Was great to see them settle down and enjoy the course more.

I've played back while others have played forward, it doesn't bother me either way.

Back