Playing different tees than your playing partners

Not at all, play what tees you want, and hopefully the rest of the group will play what they want as well, golf should be fun for everyone, I do it all the time when my kids or wife are playing with me. I've even had an event or two for work where you'll have a couple in your group playing the up tees. Once I was the youngest guy in the group and they had to wait on my to hit from the back, not tips, tees every hole!

Need to play where you are comfortable. Should never let where others are playing from dictate where you play from. Never rude to play what is fun and comfortable for you.

I play with my dad and a few other guys who don't hit the ball anywhere close to as far as I do but I always play the same tees that they do because I just thought it was the polite thing to do.

Is it rude to play different tees than your playing partners?

I think that it depends on how big the difference in your games and how much spread between the tee boxes. If I can deal with the change from what would be normal box, then I'll move to where they are. If nothing else it gives me a different look at the course from my normal round.

If the others are playing from a tee that is significantly longer than what I'm comfortable with, then I'll play where I feel best.

In your case, I'd occasionally take the opportunity to see the course from a different perspective - leave the driver in the bag more often and try some different strategies just to change things up. Today my buddy and I played from the forward tees, because he's in his 80's and just doesn't hit the ball that far any more. It was still fun, and I hit different clubs from different places on the course than I'm used to. Hit 5W or 4 iron from a few tees. A couple of times I dropped where his drive ended up and played in from there just for fun (this 9 hole course isn't rated so I can't use any scores there for handicap anyway).

Golf is supposed to be a thinking man's game, so changing strategies from time time helps keep my mind in the game instead of just automatically playing the same shots every time.

Not at all, I usually play whites or blues depending on the distance and my playing partners never complain. I'm 62 with a slowing swing speed, they appreciate me playing tees I can handle.

I do this often. We mix tees to make our money games fair. A few guys play up a tee and one guy plays up 2 tees. Now, when I played Lake Nona with Wardy, his buddies made us play from the back tees. That stuff is no joke.

I'm always quick to tell people to play from whatever tee they want to play from and not to feel obligated to play the same tee as I do.

We strongly encourage my father inlaw to play up. He's 66 now not nearly as long as the rest of us but stubbornly won't.

He did a couple years ago when he had some health issues but says he's doesn't like slowing us down... We honestly don't mind.

Playing different tees than your playing partners

We strongly encourage my father inlaw to play up. He's 66 now not nearly as long as the rest of us but stubbornly won't.

He did a couple years ago when he had some health issues but says he's doesn't like slowing us down... We honestly don't mind.

I think in the long run it speeds the game up when folks play the proper tee box for their game. It could amount to one or two shots less per hole ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will generally play as far back as anybody wants to play. But when I play with one of my older buddies who prefers to play the forward tees, I will move up and play irons off of the tees and try to work on playing to specific yardages a little more. I won't play tees that nobody else is playing.

Most of the guys I play with play the tips at courses around us, anywhere from 6400-6800. We went on vacation & played a couple of courses that tipped out around 7100, if we ever do that again I will certainly be playing up a tee from them. A couple of the rounds were not enjoyable due to hitting long irons into greens or driver hybrid hybrid into par 5s. They'll give me hell, but definitely play where you're comfortable & enjoy yourself.

Well, I guess you've gotten the point. There's no problem from playing from different tees and it's even encouraged. From someone who does it, sometimes we're employing three sets of tees, red, white and blues, here's a small bit of advice. Try to make sure that there is one other person on the tee box with whomever is driving from that box, or in close enough proximity, to be a spotter for the ball. Happens all the time when a guy is on the box by himself. hits one off somewhere, or into the sun. Hey, where'd that go and the guys in the cart have no more clue than the guy on the box. Also helps with the guy who thinks his ball is up 50 yards from where it actually is.

I play with my dad and a few other guys who don't hit the ball anywhere close to as far as I do but I always play the same tees that they do because I just thought it was the polite thing to do.

Is it rude to play different tees than your playing partners?

No not rude at all. Play it forward. Have fun.

I'll usually just go with the flow with strangers unless I know it's too long for me and I don't mind saying it. I'll back up to my usual yardage when playing with my family and we give my uncle the business for having a 6-7 index and playing up so far, but it's all in fun because he kicks all of our butts (hopefully not mine for much longer!).

I forgot to mention, my Dad is in his 80's and plays the red tees. He's happy he can still play because those distances are a lot more manageable for 70+ mph swing speed.

no,,,not at all....

In the essence of speeding up play, I will play from wherever the group is playing from regardless of the tee box. If the back tee is 50 yards behind the middle tee, sitting on a plateau and they have to wait for me to hit first on every hole .... just doesn't make much sense. There are considerable distances between tee markers on some courses. I will play from the reds if that's where everyone else is playing from. It will make me concentrate on my short game. You still have to get the ball in the hole. And the score still counts regardless.

Not a Sermon .... Just a Thought

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No problems with playing different tees, just keep the pace.

I play as a single most of the time and I play the senior tees. I don't care what anyone else plays, i'm there to play my game my way. If I need a breakfast ball I take it and if someone in the group doesn't like it….tough. I'm paying hard earned money to enjoy my round. I play my game and everyone else can play theirs, in fact I don't care if you take drops, fluff your lie, take a mulligan or anything else, it's not a tournament.

When I play with my Dad I usually play from further back than he and his friends do.
They always act like I'm being snobby/elitist by doing it so I sometimes just move up so I don't have to deal with it.

Many of the guys with whom I play are younger, like to play from the regular tees and hit the ball significantly further than I. However, I do not enjoy being the only one using a set of tees, so I play the regulars with them.

And he still shoots 39 on the front and hits all 7 fairways. Don't let this guy fool you!

I play as a single most of the time and I play the senior tees. I don't care what anyone else plays, i'm there to play my game my way. If I need a breakfast ball I take it and if someone in the group doesn't like it….tough. I'm paying hard earned money to enjoy my round. I play my game and everyone else can play theirs, in fact I don't care if you take drops, fluff your lie, take a mulligan or anything else, it's not a tournament.

No thought in your head that those other players paid their hard earned money too and may not want to stand around twiddling their thumbs while you play your mulligans? I guess we can see where you're coming from.

Not at all rude. Most golfers want you to play the tees you are comfortable with. I play different tees than my playing partners for about half my rounds. My home course added grey tee's recently where you play half of the holes from the whites(6123 yards) and half from the blacks(6650 yards). The grey tees play 6370 yards which has made them the most popular tees, especially for the seniors.

I don't take mulligans unless everyone takes one on the first tee, I don't putt another ball when I miss a putt, I have my club ready and play my shot fairly fast when it is my turn, I encourage ready golf within my group, I try to read my putts before it is my turn unless I would be in some ones line while reading it or I am closest and need to tend the pin, I am old and don't hit the ball very far so 6000 yards is my limit on how long I can play - over that and I am adding strokes for every 50 yard increment.

Not too sure how my playing the senior tees would slow up my group if everyone else were playing a different tee.

I don't take mulligans unless everyone takes one on the first tee, I don't putt another ball when I miss a putt, I have my club ready and play my shot fairly fast when it is my turn, I encourage ready golf within my group, I try to read my putts before it is my turn unless I would be in some ones line while reading it or I am closest and need to tend the pin, I am old and don't hit the ball very far so 6000 yards is my limit on how long I can play - over that and I am adding strokes for every 50 yard increment.

Not too sure how my playing the senior tees would slow up my group if everyone else were playing a different tee.

It wouldn't. I played 27 yesterday and we played a fivesome the last nine holes with 2 of us on the back tees and the rest on the white tees which are 850 yards shorter. We finished in 1:50 minutes and waited for the foursome in front of us on 4 or 5 holes.

Back