Playing different tees than your playing partners

Marc, that was a great pace for a 5 some, especially with the waiting. I love ready golf.

I never really thought about it haha i always just picked my tees and let them pick theirs and we're off. Id actually make a strong suggestion to anyone trying to play a tee they weren't comfortable with to move up.

I've been in foursomes where I'm the only one playing a back tee (one of the leagues I play in determines tees based solely on age), with the other three forward of me. Normally this is no problem if the pace of play is OK, however when it is SLOW, I find it disconcerting to be alone on the back tee waiting to hit while the other three are in front of me BS'ing and carrying on conversations while waiting to hit. The distance between the two tees can be 50-70 yards on some holes. At my age, golf is as much social as it is sport, and I'd rather move up in these instances.

Moving up is fine if that's what you want to do, don't move back past your comfort zone though.

I caught a 3some today who were play two different sets of tees, 2 guys from white one from yellow then I joined them playing the blues. Everyone played ready golf and it took us maybe 2 minutes longer because the yellows were a bit up from whites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been in foursomes where I'm the only one playing a back tee (one of the leagues I play in determines tees based solely on age), with the other three forward of me. Normally this is no problem if the pace of play is OK, however when it is SLOW, I find it disconcerting to be alone on the back tee waiting to hit while the other three are in front of me BS'ing and carrying on conversations while waiting to hit. The distance between the two tees can be 50-70 yards on some holes. At my age, golf is as much social as it is sport, and I'd rather move up in these instances.

I have actually moved back to the Blues for the same reason. On the most rare occasion I played with 3others playing Blues. In fact its been about2 seasons ago that I've had it happen. My whites are 6450 and blues 7049 at my most frequented course. I am actually long enough to play blue there imo but just not really consistent enough so I don't. When I'm driving well like in my last 2 rounds I can play the blues imo and I don't play driver on a number of holes from my whites. The shorter ones and some of the doglegs just don't call for it. The fact that I feel to use driver on most but not all is why I feel the whites are my correct tees and gives me a nice mix of different club approach shots. I play them because I feel is where I should be. But I also would much rather have the company on the tees for some social reasons and more fun so in the rarest occasion that the other 3 are playing Blue I will opt for it. Just by coincidence hasn't happened in a long time. To be honest (with my drop in handicap this season) and knowing I am still as long as I always was I been considering giving the blue a shot one day again just for the heck of it and fun. But with my luck I'll probably end up having a bad tee day and have it blow up in my face LOL so better off just waiting till that rare opportunity pops up again.

I play with my dad and a few other guys who don't hit the ball anywhere close to as far as I do but I always play the same tees that they do because I just thought it was the polite thing to do.

Is it rude to play different tees than your playing partners?

No, though I would ask them first. To me it would be rude if you asked them to play the same tees as yourself.

Heres my 2cents on this, i myself will usually just play where everyone else is playing, i am a long hitter so going back wont hurt me too much, however, i have seen others like me who just go with the group and it isnt beneficial to them, like most of us they feel its just more convenient to the group, if u know your game u should go from where your comfortable, for the most part it wont hold things up enough to matter. Now, there are courses where tees dont make a whole lot of difference, and vice versa, i feel it should depend on such factors as lenght, accuracy, and overall game, just because your long with driver shouldnt determine, are you consistent with it? Would moving up a little and taking a club your more consistent with, and finding the best spot in fairway help you more than the occasional great drive you hit? When im alone i'll usually play one off the tips, but when i move up and play more strategically i score better, of course its not as fun because like most, i wanna crush my driver too! For me, and please try not to take offense to this, but what bothers me when some people are at the tips is, theyre struggling just to make it to fairway, usually end up swinging out of sync and produce a lot of wayward shots, and for the most part it always seems to me its a group of younger guys that truly dont have the game to be back there, but wanna say "i played from the tips" if your game allows you, by all means play back, if you dont have groups begining to pile up behind u, go for it! And for the shorter hitters, dont be afraid to say no to back tees, i get that u wanna keep the peace, but its not worth ruining your day, and that goes same for long ballers too! I dont think the time is really lost on the boxes, its a lot to do with ready golf, looking for wayward shots, etc.

When I play with my dad he always plays one box up from me. I never really thought anything about it. Play whatever length is fun for you.

I usually get paired with guys, so that's normal. I play 5600 yd tees when ever possible. The guys will play 6000 - 6200 yds.

Now I know older guys who play from 5600 yds. and play with younger guys who play from 6200 yds.

One of the guys I play regular with will be moving from whites to seniors in the next month so it will be the first we haven't played the same tees. I usually move up from blue to white when I play with him but I wont be moving up to seniors tees as I feel its an unfair advantage. He hits a solid 220-230 on good drives so he should be a beast from the senior tees for awhile. I expect his scores to drop a bit in correlation as well.

One of the guys I play regular with will be moving from whites to seniors in the next month so it will be the first we haven't played the same tees. I usually move up from blue to white when I play with him but I wont be moving up to seniors tees as I feel its an unfair advantage. He hits a solid 220-230 on good drives so he should be a beast from the senior tees for awhile. I expect his scores to drop a bit in correlation as well.

I honestly don't understand this. Why does he have to move up? If he's still playing well enough to play the white tees then why not stay there? I'm 68 and I still play try to play 6200-6400 most of the time, and since I got my new irons I could probably stretch that out to 6600 on a good day. I drive the ball about the same as your friend. I'm not averse to playing up if others in the group do so, but I don't feel that I have to just because I passed a certain age.

Me and my buddies usually all play from the same tees, somewhere between 6000-6500 which works since we are all capable of playing those distances. I have zero problems with people playing different tees than me though.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

When I play with my Dad I usually play from further back than he and his friends do.
They always act like I'm being snobby/elitist by doing it so I sometimes just move up so I don't have to deal with it.
My pops makes me play from tees further back, to make the match more even. It usually doesn't matter though as his short game is too much for me, lol.
I usually just play whatever tees the majority of the group wants to play. If they were wanting to play the very front tees though, I'd play the tees that I wanted to play, but most of the time they either play the tees I usually play or the ones just in front, which is fine with me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Playing from a different tee box should not slow a group down. Whether the forward teeing players go first or second, the difference in time should be negligible. What really slows a group down is a player hitting from a tee box that is beyond their ability and causes them to struggle and inevitably not enjoy themselves. I say play from wherever you are most comfortable and encourage your playing partners to do the same, that is what is best for the group's pace.

Today MillerTime and his room mate are coming to my course and they will be playing the blue tees. I will have my old arse on the white tees where I'm suppose to be :bananadance:

I honestly don't understand this. Why does he have to move up? If he's still playing well enough to play the white tees then why not stay there? I'm 68 and I still play try to play 6200-6400 most of the time, and since I got my new irons I could probably stretch that out to 6600 on a good day. I drive the ball about the same as your friend. I'm not averse to playing up if others in the group do so, but I don't feel that I have to just because I passed a certain age.

He will be able to shoot better and possibly reach par 5s in two which I can do from any tee box with good shots. He does okay from the whites but I usually beat him by 7-8 strokes so for when we play together this will even the playing field some. And honestly the senior tees on most holes arent dramatically shorter than the whites anyway, just on the par 5s where it would help him most and we two long par threes that he has to take 3 wood to even get close.

Not all of us seniors hit the ball as far as you do hoss. Be thankful you are a good player who makes very solid contact and enjoy it while you got it. I have had a few surgeries on a joint that drastically cut my distance down not to mention breaking my arse last August. I'm very short off the tee now and depend on my irons to save my rounds.

I have no issues playing from different tees as the rest of the group. At times I will join them simply to get a different look and different clubs into play, also helps work on course management.

He will be able to shoot better and possibly reach par 5s in two which I can do from any tee box with good shots. He does okay from the whites but I usually beat him by 7-8 strokes so for when we play together this will even the playing field some. And honestly the senior tees on most holes arent dramatically shorter than the whites anyway, just on the par 5s where it would help him most and we two long par threes that he has to take 3 wood to even get close.

Not all of us seniors hit the ball as far as you do hoss. Be thankful you are a good player who makes very solid contact and enjoy it while you got it. I have had a few surgeries on a joint that drastically cut my distance down not to mention breaking my arse last August. I'm very short off the tee now and depend on my irons to save my rounds.

I guess my point wasn't really why would he move up, but if this is the case, why is he waiting for some seemingly irrelevant "age" to make the move? If moving makes him more competitive, then it would seem reasonable that he just does it. I guess I like when courses don't put qualifiers on tees (like men's, junior, senior, ladies), but instead just call them colors or flowers or minerals, etc. Or just something simple like forward, mid front, middle, mid back, and back. That relieves the stigma of a man playing a tee with a tag like "junior" attached.

My former home course opened up the new 4th tee set that had been under construction for the last ten years or so, then mixed them in with the old 3 tee system to create four new tee sets, none of which is the same mix as the original tees. When they did this, they eliminated the red tee markers because they are traditionally tagged as "ladies" tees. They now have Black, Blue, White, and Gold tees. None have any tags attached. I see men playing from the gold tees, and women playing from the whites, and that is as it should be - players choosing by what is appropriate for their ability and length.

That doesn't mean that I don't see players who are playing farther back than they have any right to, but I don't know how you eliminate that without just shooting them. :banghead:

He's just old fashioned and decided to wait until he came of age to move up. He has fun either way and I haven't always beat him from there it's become more common more recently. We play 3-3.5 hr rounds together so I think we are doing just fine. I'm not good enough nor do I care enough to tell others how and where they should play.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yep and I am a club shorter than you so I still stand firm in my stance to not play anything more than 6000 yards no matter the label -member, senior or ladies, I just don't care. I know my limitations on distance and I plan to play from the tees that make golf fun for me. I really do not care where everyone else in the group is playing from as long as they are comfortable with where they are playing and having fun.

I guess you must know me or have a superpower because I'm far from what you think i am. I play ready golf and am usually the one waiting on the other players in the group. I might have come across as a bit harsh but in essence my statement stands. You play your game and I'll play mine. You play the tees you like and I'll play the ones I like etc. etc….
No thought in your head that those other players paid their hard earned money too and may not want to stand around twiddling their thumbs while you play your mulligans? I guess we can see where you're coming from.

Playing from a different tee box should not slow a group down. Whether the forward teeing players go first or second, the difference in time should be negligible. What really slows a group down is a player hitting from a tee box that is beyond their ability and causes them to struggle and inevitably not enjoy themselves. I say play from wherever you are most comfortable and encourage your playing partners to do the same, that is what is best for the group's pace.

Not even close imo. What causes slow paly is slow players period. Regardless of tees (with some exception) if one is slow they are slow anyway. With due respect to you but in general I think people have to start getting this misguided logic out of their heads. All the time very good players who play from the correct tees cause slow play too. It happens every day. Slow play is cause by those who are slow, period!

Slow players do not understand or do not care to understand or just simply don't know how to move along. They simply lack the awareness they are slow. They are not conscious of it and/or don't care and/or have never been taught.

I had my worst round today and shot well over 100 for the first time in two seasons and my current cap is 13.5.
I sprayed balls everywhere. If you seen me you would have assumed I barely ever played the game. You would have said why is he at the gold tees, he should be at the whites. I lost 5 balls today while havnt lost but 2 in my last 10 rounds that's how bad it was.

But in the edn I kept pace with my group and the group ahead f us. I have plenty of time in past years shot over 100 and have done it in less than 4hours at my local tracks where the average rounds are 4:00 to 4:20.

Was I suppose to play more forward today? Did I cause slow play and fall behind? No, not at all. Poor play and incorrect tees do add time to ones game but all they have to do is make sure they do everything in between with an awareness of pace in order to keep pace. When I play poorly I play poorly from any tee. And it the same thing when people are not long enough. The tee choice more forward would be much better for them but it still doesn't mean they cant or shouldn't still be able to keep pace regardless.

This constant belief that tee choice is the "end-all, be-all" for pace problems is so far from the truth. Far too many other reasons are much more detrimental towards pace than tee selections. It is a myth and such a misguided logic that everyone keeps on insisting. The belief that its always the worst players and the wrong tee selectors that cause pace problems is just wrong. Sure it does happen sometimes, but those people would also be slow from more forward tees too. They are simply not aware or don't care to be aware of any of it.

Being slow is more often all about the persons ability to move with an awareness of pace regardless how good they are or what tees they play. I can shoot a 100 or more on a 7000 yard course and do it in under 4 hours and have done it from the wrong tees and in the past I have done just that a number of times but still I move and do what it takes to get it done. Its harder work when you don't play well, its harder work when at the wrong tees, you have to bust a$$ to make it work, but if one is aware and conscious of it and cares they will do what they have to. In general most people who are slow will be slow no matter how good and no matter what tee.

Sorry to rant and wasn't meant directly at you but people in general need to get this idea out of their heads imo. Take most any slow pace problem causing person and he/she will still be a problem from the forward tees too.

I played with the wife today as a twosome and sharing cart. I played my whites & she played her reds and we still kept pace with the 4some in front.

Its harder work when you don't play well, its harder work when at the wrong tees, you have to bust a$$ to make it work, but if one is aware and conscious of it and cares they will do what they have to.

I'm glad you can play fast, that's great, but your argument was crazy flawed. To say the average golfer will need to "bust a$$" to keep up with the course pace playing the wrong tees is the exact reason it slows things down.

No one said it was the only reason for slow play, and it's not the biggest reason for slow play, but playing the wrong tees can and most likely will slow rounds down.

Back