Playing golf with a chipper - cool or not cool?

If if it helps you shoot lower scores then it's cool!

I think I’d look at the one you can play left or right handed.

Who cares what others think? I had a guy making fun of my super hybrid vs his M1. I only waxed him by 14 strokes.

scoring is cool. if a chipper scores better, well then...it's cool.

Doesn’t matter as long as it’s helping your game and you’re enjoying yourself!

Like others said, if the club works, go for it

and

I'll find you an iron cover that fits!

Getting the ball in the hole is the coolest thing in golf IMO.

Way cooler than iron covers.

It’s about getting the ball in the hole in the least strokes. If the C club helps you, then I say go for it. They’re surprisingly fun, and I enjoyed reviewing them more than I expected.

Agree whatever turns one's crank. I used a 42 Cleveland Niblick for a short period, mostly as a full wedge, but didn't find it nearly as versatile as a regular wedge with the wide sole. That could be the same concern with these wide sole later options?

Whatever tiuns one's crank includes iron headcovers by the way. I don't get why they get in the same category with some folks as say plastic pocket pen-holders. My Miuras look in terrific shape after eight seasons using headcovers and by keeping them clean. Also I like the stealth of using covers on them. Same reason I generally use non-OEM headcovers.

Last edited:
100% DGAF if it is cool or not. Play what you want to play. If you like it, it gives you confidence, and you play well with it..... who cares what anyone but you things.

Do what you gotta do if it helps, but be prepared for some good old fashioned ribbing from your playing partners.

Life is much simpler when you just do you. Let the haters hate hate hate hate hate.

I'd rather hit a chipping type iron well than a well bladed wedge any day. Hit whatever suits your game at the moment my friend.

No shame. I’ve gamed the SS C, Niblicks and Tank chipper.

I have both the Cleveland Smart Sole C and the S. Last year, the pro at the local course was trying to make a video of himself chipping the ball into the hole with a SM7 wedge. He kept missing by a tiny bit. Finally he gave up, and I handed him the Smart Sole C and he sank it with disgust. :ROFLMAO:

They're good clubs. The S is a little more versatile because it gives you that easy bunker shot and allows you to fly it when there's a lot of rough between you and the green. However, I've used the C for bump and runs from 80 yds. once on an experiment to see how far I could hit a chipper - I was lying 3 hitting 4 on a par 5 and put it 6 feet from the cup.

My short game kind of sucks so I got these two clubs. They're only $99. I will use a chipper without shame.

Play what you like. That’s the mantra of the group I go out with...

Cool? As in if I saw it in someone's bag would I think, "hey, cool club?" No, but there's a gazillion other clubs that wouldn't move my meter either.

Neither cool nor uncool in my book. What is cool is when a player uses whatever he/she likes no matter what.

No pictures on a scorecard, if it gets you in the hole with less shots then just play your own game.

Enjoying the game. That is cool. Who cares what equipment you use to do it? If you play better and enjoy the game more when using it, then it is the coolest club you can get.

I have both the Cleveland Smart Sole C and the S. Last year, the pro at the local course was trying to make a video of himself chipping the ball into the hole with a SM7 wedge. He kept missing by a tiny bit. Finally he gave up, and I handed him the Smart Sole C and he sank it with disgust. :ROFLMAO:

They're good clubs. The S is a little more versatile because it gives you that easy bunker shot and allows you to fly it when there's a lot of rough between you and the green. However, I've used the C for bump and runs from 80 yds. once on an experiment to see how far I could hit a chipper - I was lying 3 hitting 4 on a par 5 and put it 6 feet from the cup.

My short game kind of sucks so I got these two clubs. They're only $99. I will use a chipper without shame.

There’s also a new iteration THP just took a closer look at on the homepage.
;)

Who gives a flying fornication whether it's cool or not? Does it work for you? If it does, rock on. As for me, I'm thinking of test driving one.

I had an old version of the C when they called it the Niblick. I had a case of the chipyips at the time and the niblick really helped. I also found it was great from up to 110 yards out. 3/4 swing and it would create a low dart that two-hopped and stopped. Heck I might get one again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it helps lower your scores and enjoy the game more, then go for it - who cares what other people think

It isn't a club I would put in my bag, but I know people who do have them

Of course it’s not cool but dang they work. The majority of golfers should pull that lob wedge out of the bag and replace it with a chipper.

I've still got one in a bag somewhere at the house, matter of fact I got it from @Iceman! when I first joined THP. I had just started playing golf, and struggled with a wedge in my hand. It's an X Act chipper from Odyssey, that I had pretty big success with when I first started playing seriously.

Back