Playing in the wind

kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
What is your strategy?

First round today, going to be windy, thinking I'm going to make length a priority so I'm not having longer iron shots in that the wind can affect.

I know folks try to flight it low or allow for crosswind.

The Captain Obvious priority is good contact. Understand where the trouble is. If the trouble is short and the shot is into the wind, play it long and safe. I try to play against the cross winds, but I'm not a great shaper of the ball but just good enough to try to hit fades against a right to left

Just plan on a lot of smooth swings and playing for the breeze.

When it’s breezy you gotta swing easy.

Hate walking and carrying while battling a wind, but love playing in it.

When it’s breezy you gotta swing easy.

I prefer, when the wind is blowing hard swing like a ret@rd.

But in reality I try to flight the ball into the wind and just hit normal shots otherwise. Just use more club so I don’t over swing and create too much spin. Because spin + wind = bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jokes aside, I swing smooth into it, swing hard with it, and shape against it when it's sideways.

And just hope for the best. Wind has my number. I suspect it will always have my number.

shot a 87 with 24 mph south winds monday ...against the wind = teeing off with my 3 wood and 2 clubs up and easy 3/4 swing on most all approach shots. also placed the ball back an inch, and turned club in a couple degrees,,, l let it rip with the wind... (an 8 on a par 4 hurt my feeling though.) had to play a wind break on some putts... usually shoot in low 80s. Enjoyed the challenge.

I played in the wind a few times this year. One of the rounds I lit it up and went low. Made a lot of shots with 1-2 clubs more chocked down and swinging 3/4. At one point I hit a 165 club on a 135 shot which turned out pretty good. That ball was barely moving forward when it landed.

Ball tees down
Extra club
Compact swing
Maybe wider stance
Keep it out of the influence of wind
Also , tee high wit

Wind has my number. I suspect it will always have my number.
Finding a good wind ball can make a huge difference in how you play in the wind. Having confidence that you can make a good swing and the ball won’t behave crazy is a huge confidence booster when the wind is blowing.

20 years later and I still have trust issues with pro v1’s because the early versions were terrible in wind. Into the wind they would balloon like crazy. Cross breeze they would float and blow all over the place. The callaway hex tour on the other hand will always have a special place in my heart because that ball was amazing in windy conditions.

hmm I don't have much of a strategy with how much I suck. I just try to not think too much about it but keep it in mind the wind if I'm going against or with it.

Finding a good wind ball can make a huge difference in how you play in the wind. Having confidence that you can make a good swing and the ball won’t behave crazy is a huge confidence booster when the wind is blowing.

20 years later and I still have trust issues with pro v1’s because the early versions were terrible in wind. Into the wind they would balloon like crazy. Cross breeze they would float and blow all over the place. The callaway hex tour on the other hand will always have a special place in my heart because that ball was amazing in windy conditions.
I bought a sleeve of three when first released . Took one out of box at a course Leishman grew up a learned golf .
The ball flew sideways with wind , never too be seen again . Second ball from sleeve , same result , lol . The lonely ball got into witness protection and had new identify lol never used again 😂

Back