Poor Northerners: When is the Last Time You Played?

First round in Chicago for the 2011 season is tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it.

18 holes today 41 deg outside with a little wind. It was sweet getting out for the first time this year.

The first course in my area opens Monday, I already have my tee time! It's going to be a wet mess but it will still be better than the sim.

Most of the courses around here opened this past week. Im planning on playing my first round of the year tomorrow. Last Sunday I went to the driving range and all this week Ive been working on bringing my swing out of hibernation.
Im pleased with where it is now, but Im sure my shortgame and putting is going to suck tomorrow. Putting on my living room carpet isnt the same as a real green.
Even still, Im excited about the start of a new season. Ive been working hard on fixing my swing mechanics and Im hoping to make it to a single-digit handicap this year.
I promised myself that if I made it to single digits I would treat myself to a new set of irons, most likely a set of MP-68s.

I got out again today but with the same intent as last week's impromptu round. i am still trying to get back into hitting the ball off turf again and the turf ranges are not open as yet.

While I did use a heated bay range a few times over the winter months, I have a hard time doing anything more than trying to keep my head in the game a bit and trying to at least swing the clubs. However while I now use double mats (thanks to Sean) in order to protect my elbows, I am still leery of taking my usual swing off of mats and it takes me some time to get rid of what I call range-itus and get my usual swing back on track.

I don't know about anybody else but when I can hit the ball off of turf I will take the club back still maintaining my triangle but I will take the club up on a steeper angle and hinge my wrists a little earlier than I will off of mats. The result is that I come back on the downswing a little more to the inside and on a steeper angle. I hit the ball much more sharply and take more of a proper divot. On the mats I take the club back on a shallower angle. Subsequently I don't come down at the ball as much from the inside nor on as steep an angle. So, range work for me off of mats has some benefit but it is limited and I have to take some time to get my swing back in gear.

I am just really leery of what mats do to your elbows if you come down as sharply and as steeply as one is able.

I did hit the ball pretty good today so made progress for sure.

I agree J. Hitting off the turf is a different animal regardless.

Played my first round of the year on Saturday. As I expected, my shortgame and putting wasnt great but I did manage to fix my push. I only hit 2 shots to the right, which for me is pretty good. Im convinced those 2 shots were a result of me being close to the end of the round, being tired and not paying attention to my setup enough (my weight was back on my heels too much and I wasnt able to make a good turn because of that).
As for my putting, I was hitting my putts way too hard but thats something that will come back with time and practice. I didnt pick up a putter all winter and even the past 2 weeks of putting practice was on my living room floor and an actual green is a lot fast than carpet is.
All in all though, Im very pleased and cant wait to get out again next weekend!

We got another foot of snow yesterday.
It's melting nicely... this could be the last dump of the year [knock on wood]!

As a Canadian waiting for good weather, I must say.. Brr, but all good. :)

First round in Chicago for the 2011 season is tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it.

So I was able to get out on Saturday. Played a new course that I hadn't played before too. Shot 9 strokes over my average. Hit 43% of fairways and 44% GIRs, which isn't all that bad for being a bit rusty... But my chipping/pitching and putting was absolutely terrible!

Will need some work on that end of things.

So I was able to get out on Saturday. Played a new course that I hadn't played before too. Shot 9 strokes over my average. Hit 43% of fairways and 44% GIRs, which isn't all that bad for being a bit rusty... But my chipping/pitching and putting was absolutely terrible!

Pretty good stuff IL. After a long lay off the short game is always a bit rusty.

Pretty good stuff IL. After a long lay off the short game is always a bit rusty.

Yeah, you are right Sean. Seems like it is a bit worse than typical this go-around though. Next winter, I might need to start becoming creative on how to keep the short game in tact during the off-months. Have any ideas?

I played my first round in about 5 months and 2 weeks - not that I'm keeping track or anything, this past Saturday. It felt so great to get out on the course. I was surprised how little rust my swing had after that much time off. My opening drive was about 275/280 down the middle! My next two drives were better than a normal round in August. It could be that I didn't have any bad shots in my recent memory.

Looks like courses around here won't be open for another 4-6 weeks, thankfully I'm leaving for Florida for vacation next week!

I'm pretty excited. This week I am flying to San Antonio. I will be playing the TPC San Antonio. I don't know which course it will be yet however. It wasn't up to me and it's a surprise.

Here in Minnesota, course were open in mid-March in 2010. Still a week or two away this year. I finally played twice in Arizona in late March. Prior to that, it was in mid-October 2010.

my chipping/pitching and putting was absolutely terrible!

Join the club. Shortgame and pitching is the part of my game that tends to get the most rusty over the winter months. Your touch will come back after a little while, hang in there.

Last time I played was the first weekend in November, which was also the first day of snow and the fairways had a thin layer on them when playing 17 and 18.

Course is suppose to open on the 15th, so only a week and half, hopefully no set backs.

it has been like 8 looong months since I have played. but i don't play during masters week. it's all tv for me

Back