goalie

Albatross 2023 Club
Reaction score
So, I jumped on the Q-star Tour deal since $10/dozen was too good to pass up.

I've historically played cheaper, two piece balls like the Duo Soft. I figured I wasn't good enough for premium balls to really matter.

Well, I went out today and played 18 holes in the nice, sunny 48 degree weather with the new balls.

Now I'm questioning all my thoughts on "good" balls. I didn't play my best, but my short game was on fire, and I shot a good (for me) 93 with 5 fewer putts than my average, mainly due to pitching and chipping close enough to one-putt much more frequently than I normally do.

I didn't really see any spin difference off the tee, but I had quite a few 30-70 yard shots that stopped like this:

IMG_20191014_115925380.jpg

If this control is repeatable, I think I'm a convert to premium balls.

If always thought that "premium" balls were just for the single-digit guys, but man, not having inconsistent roll-out really seemed to help.

Have any other of you high teen index players tried a ball with more greenside spin, and if so, what were your thoughts/results?

Should be fun to follow.
The Q-STAR TOUR is a solid golf ball.

I was in your shoes for a long time. I would just reach in the bag and grab any ol scuffed up found ball I happen to have with me. Late last year I decided to use only one of two balls. Q-Star Tour and the Tour B-RX. I came to the same conclusion as you, I may not have actually played better, but knowing exactly what the ball was going to do was a huge confidence builder. No more playing whatever is in my bag for this guy.

I really like the Q Star Tour. My handicap is in the teens. I endorse using this ball primarily because of the greenside spin these balls offer. I am able to put spin on short wedge shots. I nearly holed two 50 shots with this ball this year and both stopped quickly. The ball is really good and for me the greenside spin is noticeable.

I prefer a ball with more green side spin personally. I’m not usually accurate enough to hit a yardage target on the nose, but I do like a ball that will hit and hold a green.

Glad the Q Star Tour works for you. As someone who has gravitated toward the Srixon balls, it's very cool to read.

I'm an even higher cap than that and I can tell the difference.

So, to clarify: do any of you see any negatives at all besides price?

I was admittedly a little worried about spin off the driver, FWs and long irons, and that didn't seem to be the case.

The only difference I noticed was increases spin on short irons and around the green.

Does this stay the same even up to true "tour" balls????

I was admittedly a little worried about spin off the driver, FWs and long irons, and that didn't seem to be the case.

The only difference I noticed was increases spin on short irons and around the green.

Some of the tour balls are going to spin a little more off the tee than the Q-Stars do.

Dont let the price fool you.
The Q-Star Tour is a 3 piece urethane golf ball.
While it might be better for moderate swing speeds, it qualifies...

Dont let the price fool you.
The Q-Star Tour is a 3 piece urethane golf ball.
While it might be better for moderate swing speeds, it qualifies...

So it's like a ProV1 for old broken dudes like me then, sweeeeet.

So, it begs the question: how many should I buy at Golf Galaxy since they're 10 bucks a dozen?!?!??

I ordered another 5 dozen today to get me to 15 dozen about half yellow.

I'll probably still have some this time next year sitting in my garage locker, but it seems like a no-brainer to stock up.

So, I jumped on the Q-star Tour deal since $10/dozen was too good to pass up.

I've historically played cheaper, two piece balls like the Duo Soft. I figured I wasn't good enough for premium balls to really matter.

Well, I went out today and played 18 holes in the nice, sunny 48 degree weather with the new balls.

Now I'm questioning all my thoughts on "good" balls. I didn't play my best, but my short game was on fire, and I shot a good (for me) 93 with 5 fewer putts than my average, mainly due to pitching and chipping close enough to one-putt much more frequently than I normally do.

I didn't really see any spin difference off the tee, but I had quite a few 30-70 yard shots that stopped like this:

View attachment 8911176

If this control is repeatable, I think I'm a convert to premium balls.

If always thought that "premium" balls were just for the single-digit guys, but man, not having inconsistent roll-out really seemed to help.

Have any other of you high teen index players tried a ball with more greenside spin, and if so, what were your thoughts/results?
Yeah I have been playing ProV1's for a while because they just work. I get used balls to save $'s because I lose my fair share, but knowing what my ball will do every time I use it for my short game is too important to me.

So, it begs the question: how many should I buy at Golf Galaxy since they're 10 bucks a dozen?!?!??

I ordered another 5 dozen today to get me to 15 dozen about half yellow.

I'll probably still have some this time next year sitting in my garage locker, but it seems like a no-brainer to stock up.
I picked up 5 dozen too, if they’re still on sale in a couple weeks I might pick up a few dozen more.

The good thing too is if you like yellow they come that way. It really is a great all around ball.

So it's like a ProV1 for old broken dudes like me then, sweeeeet.
As a fellow old broken dude I fully endorse the Q-Star Tours. Low driver spin and good green holding. Also doesn't feel like a rock on cold days.

A few years ago I was in the same boat as you. I played a lot of Bridgestone e6s, W/S duos, Q-Star (non-Tour version). I thought the urethane balls would spin too much on my driver.

I can't remember why I decided to give urethane a try, but I'm glad I did. I play the QST quite a bit (got 4 doz last week), but I also play the TM project (a), Snell MTB Black, Srizon Z-Star, Chromesoft and Chromesoft X, TP5, etc. Basically, whatever I can get a good deal on. I haven't seen downsides on long clubs and my short game has definitely benefited.

I got 5doz last week because of the sale. I usually get used 5A e6’s to help with spin off the tee. I played the q stars last week and they felt great. I was still within the return window for 10doz used e6’s, which I started the free return process. Ordered 10doz more of the qstar tours for the same price as the used e6’s! I think I found a new ball!

When they had last years Z Stars on sale I grabbed a dozen, at $19.99 what could I lose. I am a 20 handicap. I dont hit it far 200-210 with my driver. For the last 5 years I have used Duo soft and Supersoft. The Z stars made a difference. Even at my level they held the greens noticeably better. There were shots I hit into the greens that I think would have rolled off the back but stayed on. And i liked how they felt when putting. I played that dozen for 5 rounds so I didn't lose any more than normal. They did not punish me off the driver any more than my previous balls. And I had one great round at a tough course where I hit 14 of 14 fairways which I have never done before.

I found a premium ball I am particularly fond of, and I don't mind spending on it (although I don't buy them full price, that's crazy talk).

For me, there's a distinct advantage to getting a premium ball fit for me in my hands on the tee all the way into the cup. Zero hesitation when i buy.

You've found a gem. No need to question it. You've seen the difference it has made in your game and the price is outstanding for the performance of the ball (even at retail price). Ride with it, brother. I too bought 5 dozen of the Q-Star Tours. Fortunately, I didn't buy them "blind". I "swapped" a sleeve with a guy that I was paired with and he wanted to try my Zrixon Z-Stars. In a dollar for dollar trade, he got the good end of the deal but I ended up trying a ball that I'd never tried and, honestly, I didn't notice much (if at all) difference between the Z-Star and Q-Star Tour (at least for my game) so, in the end, I kind of won because I found a better priced ball that performed as well for me.

Edit: I think it's safe to edit your signature and update your new ball. (y)

Last edited:
Q star is a great all around ball. Used it for a year.

I bought some Q Stars in Florida last winter for my son and daughter to use while on vacation and played a round with one. Very impressive ball for the price. I’ve always been willing to pay for a premium ball, there’s a big difference in performance tee to green.

I bought some Q Stars in Florida last winter for my son and daughter to use while on vacation and played a round with one. Very impressive ball for the price. I’ve always been willing to pay for a premium ball, there’s a big difference in performance tee to green.
You’ve also got the swing to take advantage of a tour ball though! Haha:)

Looks like @goalie you had an "Ah Ha" moment.
It's the short game where I notice the difference between the 2 pc Suryln ball and the 3pc Urethane ball.
There are some great videos on THP with Dean Snell talking about the differences between the two types of balls.
I'll only play a Urethane ball because I don't like the run out that a Suryln ball gives on the green on the pure chance I hit a good shot.

Back