Project X Catalyst Graphite Iron Shafts

I pulled the trigger.. Had been pondering for a while. I can't wait to get these put together
I just don’t have a build plan solidified yet, and I’m still super keen to try OneLength.

So I've put in the Catalyst 100cw shafts. I have one round on them so far. Interesting to say the least.
Very light swing weight. No grip they were a D8 ... added GP +4 grips at 55g .... brought them down to a D0 or D1. A lot lighter than I'm used to.
What that did was really affect my transition. I honestly felt like I had to slow down for the club head to catch up to be square at impact. I also had to play them a lot further back in my stance for whatever reason. I left a lot of shots out to the right :unsure:
It's going to be a work in progress for sure. I do like the feel of them but I will definitely have to raise the swing weight a bit. D3 at least
20200229_173948.jpg

So I've put in the Catalyst 100cw shafts. I have one round on them so far. Interesting to say the least.
Very light swing weight. No grip they were a D8 ... added GP +4 grips at 55g .... brought them down to a D0 or D1. A lot lighter than I'm used to.
What that did was really affect my transition. I honestly felt like I had to slow down for the club head to catch up to be square at impact. I also had to play them a lot further back in my stance for whatever reason. I left a lot of shots out to the right :unsure:
It's going to be a work in progress for sure. I do like the feel of them but I will definitely have to raise the swing weight a bit. D3 at least
View attachment 8930603
Let me know when its my time to acquire those :LOL:

Jump on the bandwagon dude!

Really excited to pick up a FT Utility since this is the stock shaft
I can’t imagine it would be much better than the F9 with catalyst I’ve been rocking

There is also more logic in terms of performance and launch characteristics that @Canadan has discussed when he chose the F9 4i and Previous version of the utility
I have complete and utter adoration for the awesomeness of F9 and likely Speedzone.

That said, it's going to take one hell of a product to compete this year in the 17-18 degree spot.

Sorry for the necro-post, but would welcome some input....I posted the below in the Apex/Apex Pro 19 thread before I found this thread via search. Thanks in advance..

Hello all. Did some late night drinking last weekend and, long-story short, wound up ordering from CPO as "very good" set of Apex Smoke 19 with Catalyst 100 shafts. (Doing the trade in/trade up with my Apex Pro 19s as the mid and long irons are just a bit too demanding for me). I know there's a handful of you that have experience with the Catalyst 100s. Due to the pandemic, I will not get the set for a while nor get out on the range anytime soon here in Central Florida.

I have gamed successfully Recoil 110 F4, Project X 5.5, Project X LZ 5.5 and 6.0 and enjoyed PXI 6.0 in a prior life too (omitting other brands to simplify this query). If I were to rank those from memory from softest to stiffest I would go: Project X LZ 5.5 < PXI 6.0/Recoil 110 F4 (nearly tie) < Project X LZ 6.0 < Project X 5.5 (at least that is how they felt to me).

Without arguing about my subject feels/ranking there (happy to hear if you feel I am really misrecollecting), where do the Catalyst 100 fit in? I am assuming since I ordered the regular Apex Smoke (non-pro), the Catalyst 100s will be non-CW (or maybe they would shim the hosels??) ---- the set is supposed to be factory-installed shafts.

I appreciate any feedback from those who have experience gaming the Catalyst 100s and sorry if this is in the wrong sub forum but it just seemed like this was the best thread I could find online with the most Catalyst 100 users. Peace and hope all are safe and well. Mike

Sorry for the necro-post, but would welcome some input....I posted the below in the Apex/Apex Pro 19 thread before I found this thread via search. Thanks in advance..

Hello all. Did some late night drinking last weekend and, long-story short, wound up ordering from CPO as "very good" set of Apex Smoke 19 with Catalyst 100 shafts. (Doing the trade in/trade up with my Apex Pro 19s as the mid and long irons are just a bit too demanding for me). I know there's a handful of you that have experience with the Catalyst 100s. Due to the pandemic, I will not get the set for a while nor get out on the range anytime soon here in Central Florida.

I have gamed successfully Recoil 110 F4, Project X 5.5, Project X LZ 5.5 and 6.0 and enjoyed PXI 6.0 in a prior life too (omitting other brands to simplify this query). If I were to rank those from memory from softest to stiffest I would go: Project X LZ 5.5 < PXI 6.0/Recoil 110 F4 (nearly tie) < Project X LZ 6.0 < Project X 5.5 (at least that is how they felt to me).

Without arguing about my subject feels/ranking there (happy to hear if you feel I am really misrecollecting), where do the Catalyst 100 fit in? I am assuming since I ordered the regular Apex Smoke (non-pro), the Catalyst 100s will be non-CW (or maybe they would shim the hosels??) ---- the set is supposed to be factory-installed shafts.

I appreciate any feedback from those who have experience gaming the Catalyst 100s and sorry if this is in the wrong sub forum but it just seemed like this was the best thread I could find online with the most Catalyst 100 users. Peace and hope all are safe and well. Mike

To clarify, the new Apex 19 set will have the Catalyst 100 6.0 in them. Thanks again for any input!

Reviving this thread for the sake of discussion. Has anyone played these as well as Recoils, 95 or 110? What are your thoughts on feel comparison? Profile? Flight?

Just wondering (and maybe power skimming...) Thanks!

Reviving this thread for the sake of discussion. Has anyone played these as well as Recoils, 95 or 110? What are your thoughts on feel comparison? Profile? Flight?

I love Catalyst shafts. They might be my favorite, but I can be very happy playing SteelFiber 95, Recoil 95 or 110, or Catalyst 100s in irons.

i’ve messed with both, and to me catalyst feels more like an iron. recoil is softer and more responsive. i’ve not spent any time with recoil proto though.

i’ve messed with both, and to me catalyst feels more like an iron. recoil is softer and more responsive. i’ve not spent any time with recoil proto though.

more like steel? As in, not as damped, more harsh?

more like steel? As in, not as damped, more harsh?
I agree with @McLovin. To add to his thought, the Recoils allow you to feel the load and unload more than Catalyst and, in that way, Catalyst is more similar to many steel shaft profiles. One thing to remember about Catalyst is that it is a pretty stout shaft, with low launch characteristics, particularly in the 100 gram profile. When we were out at True Sports a year ago for the THP Handcrafted experience, @DB TT mentioned that the Catalyst in the 100 gram profile is almost like playing an X shaft. That made a lot of sense to me, based upon my experience playing the shaft in a set of irons.

@GraniteRoost so to me, Catalyst 6.0 plays stiffer than recoil F4 but softer than Recoil Protos. Launch wise Catalyst flights lower than recoil standard but similar to recoil proto. Feel wise, catalyst lacks the vibration/feedback wise on most shots but makes up for it with superior consistency and stability throughout the set.

I'm still surprised that the Catalyst 100 6.0 didn't feel noticeably stiffer than the Recoil 110 F4 to me. If I make it the range any time soon, I'll be comparing them side by side since I was going mostly by memory and not hitting one immediately after the other.

I'm still surprised that the Catalyst 100 6.0 didn't feel noticeably stiffer than the Recoil 110 F4 to me. If I make it the range any time soon, I'll be comparing them side by side since I was going mostly by memory and not hitting one immediately after the other.
The Catalysts feel smooth, despite the playing characteristics. That’s one of the reasons I love them.

The Catalysts feel smooth, despite the playing characteristics. That’s one of the reasons I love them.
yeah, that's what threw me I guess... way smoother than expected after all the comments about stiff to flex

This thread is a good reminder that I need to list two sets of catalyst 100cw 6.0 shafts in b/s/t. Maybe I should hold on to one of them for a future build though.. Hmm

Back