Putting drills/games

Plenty of free Metronome Apps out there. Also there's http://metronomeonline.com/ . Metronomes are great for putting and chipping since a 1-1 tempo is preferred (as opposed to a 3-1 in your full swing), at least according to Tour Tempo.

Thanks Pete. That online metronome is pretty cool since my putting green is in the same room as the computer. I'll definitely have to use that and keep my metronome in the bag for course use. I would be interested to know what your bpm tempo is with your putting.

Been a while since I used one, had to go check. 52 feels nice.

i play a game if i dont hole the putts i dont go home until i have. simple as that, pick distances and say 15-25 balls each distance and have a number you have to hole and if you dont do it keep at it until you do. thats what tiger did so must work.

The best short-game game that I play makes me practice getting up and down. I take 5, or however many you want, balls and place them on the fringe or rough next to the green. I chip all of the balls towards the hole. I then try and one putt from those spots. If I do make the one putt, I take that ball out of rotation. I repeat this process until all of the balls are gone. I keep a log on how long it took me to take all of the balls out of the rotation. I try to better that number each and every time I go practice.

The one thing I do when I practice putting is to not putt from ranges that are not in a range of putts I think I should make all the time. I start off with 4 balls at say 3 feet, and stay at that close distance until I can make all five, five times in a row. I then move back a foot and repeat. Move back a foot and repeat. Once I get in the range of say 6 feet, I still feel this is within the range I should make a high percentage of them if not all. I might go out to as much as 8 feet, but then it is more of making a high percentage and keeping the misses very close.

I work on lag putting more or less from outside of 8 feet. I don't really expect to make them all, but I want to still see a high percentage. I will also putt from much longer distances, but in this case I'm really looking to make a few and have all the misses still close enough to tap in.

This is something my teacher had me working on last summer. He feels that way too many people come to the practice green and start off right away from a distance where they have no chance of making any. He is a big believer of building confidence from in close and then working out from the hole.

I've read the same thing in a couple places. It helps to see putts drop.

Back