R&A Chief on Bryson and Changes Coming

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score

With DeChambeau having beaten the entire field to win the Rocket Mortgage Classic earlier this month, Slumbers insists he isn't denigrating the achievement of the 26-year-old, declaring: 'Bryson, I'm fascinated by.

'I'm not sure I can remember another sportsman, in any sport, so fundamentally changing their physical shape.

'I can't think of anyone. I'm thinking of some boxers because I love boxing.

'But what is extraordinary is that Bryson isn't the first one to put on muscle in golf.

'How he's able to control the ball, with that extra power, is extraordinary. All credit to him, he's a true athlete.

'But I still come back to the belief that golf is a game of skill. And we believe we need to get this balance of skill and technology right.

'Once we feel that the industry is stable again, which isn't going to be tomorrow, because we don't know what's going to happen over autumn and winter, we will be coming back to that issue in great seriousness.

'It is too simple just to say change the ball. Way too simple. You can do things with the ball.

'But it's the relationship between ball and club which is most important, to me.

'The fundamental change in the golf ball since 1999-2000, with the introduction of ProV1 technology, is the ball spins less.

'And drivers have been designed so it spins even less, which makes it go further.'

So just because he took the time to improve his physical readiness for the game they want to punish the player?

Right now is the time to implement change...Given that they haven't....One has to assume they are talking but won't act.

Right now is the time to implement change...Given that they haven't....One has to assume they are talking but won't act.
I think he means that they can't address change right now with covid stuff, but more than that, I don't think they can implement change until they can find a way for all parties to agree what that change will actually be. The ball? The clubs? Bifurcate the rules? Nothing will satisfy all parties..... And in these days of tech and stats, no matter what they do, someone will eventually find a way to change the game.

Look. Bryson did what he said he was going to do, and it worked. It's literally an exploitation on the rules and equipment constraints available to him, all of which is totally legal.

Of course, six protein shakes a day is completely unsustainable, so the R&A might be best served to allow Darwinism to sort this out.

So the ability to control the ball with all that extra power is extraordinary, but not a skill. Got it. True athletes don't get to have skill. Okay. You want non-athletes then. Good luck with that. Youth sports programs don't make those anymore.

Last edited:
Look. Bryson did what he said he was going to do, and it worked. It's literally an exploitation on the rules and equipment constraints available to him, all of which is totally legal.

Of course, six protein shakes a day is completely unsustainable, so the R&A might be best served to allow Darwinism to sort this out.
You’re saying he exploited the rules and equipment by getting in better physical shape? I’m pretty sure there is no rule saying what kind of physical shape a golfer should be in to play the game. John Daly says hi

You’re saying he exploited the rules and equipment by getting in better physical shape? I’m pretty sure there is no rule saying what kind of physical shape a golfer should be in to play the game. John Daly says hi
No, I'm saying he did so to optimize performance in conjunction and within the constraints available to him. Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire saved baseball by doing something similar.

(Pours gasoline. Lights match. Tosses. Walks out of room.)

'I'm not sure I can remember another sportsman, in any sport, so fundamentally changing their physical shape.

Didn't Shaq completely change his physical shape after he joined the NBA?

No, I'm saying he did so to optimize performance in conjunction and within the constraints available to him. Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire saved baseball by doing something similar.

(Pours gasoline. Lights match. Tosses. Walks out of room.)
Wow. So now he’s on roids? Unless I hear something otherwise... what someone puts into their body “legally” is not exploiting the rules in my opinion. Crazy...definitely. I think what he’s doing takes plenty of skill as well if it didn’t long drive guys would tear up the tour. I don’t see guys like our friend Jamie Sadlowski winning any tournaments with the same equipment

Didn't Shaq completely change his physical shape after he joined the NBA?
Bigtime. Barry Bonds (whether he had pharmaceutical help or not) is another.

This isn't exploitation of anything. This is getting freaking strong, not being weak and crushing the dang ball. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out bigger muscles can make more violent movements.

What is a skill AND extraordinary is his ability to control it. And it has nothing to do with his transformation and everything to do with his single plane swing and equipment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bryson would still be the longest post rollback. right?

O course, six protein shakes a day is completely unsustainable, so the R&A might be best served to allow Darwinism to sort this out.

Depends on the servings, but I'm at about 25 years and counting on the Bryson diet. It's sustainable with effort.

Wow. So now he’s on roids? Unless I hear something otherwise... what someone puts into their body “legally” is not exploiting the rules in my opinion. Crazy...definitely. I think what he’s doing takes plenty of skill as well if it didn’t long drive guys would tear up the tour. I don’t see guys like our friend Jamie Sadlowski winning any tournaments with the same equipment

Maybe he should go to that “doctor” Tiger used😂

I love that the assumption is automatic yet the defense was in previous players.

Back