Rangefinders? Seriously?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the 150 stake, and I'm maybe ten yards behind and about 40 yards to the right of it...a range finder will turn out to be much faster and more accurate than my attempt at surveyor maths.

I just recently picked up a range finder and I love having it. I still like to take my time and gauge the shot distance on my own then I verify with the finder. I don't want to become so reliant on it that if I play in the future without one I'm clueless in terms of distance. Sure my eyes wont get me exact (sometimes Im way off ;) ), but I don't want to rely on it as a crutch either. If that makes sense...

It takes 4 seconds to laser a target. Let's say 50 shots get lasered during a round. And that number is high.

I just added 3 minutes to the round. Not exactly a long time. Also, regardless of how useful they actually are, why not use all of the data available?

This is a good point. It's also interesting to think about the amount of time it takes to chip the ball 3-4 times a round because you had a wrong yardage and missed way short or long, hypothetically.

I never thought range finders could be so infuriating. I have one and don't use it on every shot. However, if the flag indicator says the pin is in the back, and it's 150 to the center, but I don't know how deep the green is, what club do I hit? I guess I would just hit my 150 club and hope that I'm not leaving myself a 45 foot putt. But I would imagine you would probably walk around with a yardage book for every course at that point. And we all know flipping through pages and looking for land marks is much easier than taking out a range finder, shooting the target and taking your shot. Just me though.......Different strokes for different folks.

I believe the OP is saying if your eyes cannot judge 5-20 yards (from the 150 stake) then why do you think a rangefinder is actually going to help you land a ball 1.5 football fields away.

I get it

I understand the use of rangefinders but somehow think the vast majority of amateurs don't need pinpoint numbers. I do however think they can be very useful for laying up or avoiding trouble off the tee.

Funny story. I played 9 holes today with the owner and head professional at my home course. Second hole he pushes his tee shot and is the rough. Looks at me and asks me to laser the flag.

Before I can even get it out he says, "171 to the flag?"

Guess what the laser said, 171 to the flag. I chuckled.

I believe the OP is saying if your eyes cannot judge 5-20 yards (from the 150 stake) then why do you think a rangefinder is actually going to help you land a ball 1.5 football fields away.

I get it

I understand the use of rangefinders but somehow think the vast majority of amateurs don't need pinpoint numbers. I do however think they can be very useful for laying up or avoiding trouble off the tee.
That is exactly why you would use a range finder. The range finders are way better than the naked eye. Think about the process on an unfamiliar course...

Pull up to your ball. Look for the yardage marker/sprinkler head indicating distance to center of the green, guess your distance from that landmark, then pick a club based on that. Then try and see where the pin is on the green. Adjust club choice accordingly.

Orrrrrrr

You can pull up to your ball, grab a rangefinder and shoot the pin, then choose club based on that.

Tell me... A) Which is more accurate? B) Takes a shorter amount of time? C) Exact yardage doesn't matter for your story telling when you hole out...

Do I need yardage to the decimal point? No. But do I need it within a few yards that rangefinders give you and the naked eye and guessing may not consistently? Yes.

I get it

Ah, at long last...

oddly enough I can judge 5-20 yards but I cannot land a ball 1.5 football fields away, lol

That is exactly why you would use a range finder. The range finders are way better than the naked eye. Think about the process on an unfamiliar course...

Pull up to your ball. Look for the yardage marker/sprinkler head indicating distance to center of the green, guess your distance from that landmark, then pick a club based on that. Then try and see where the pin is on the green. Adjust club choice accordingly.

Orrrrrrr

You can pull up to your ball, grab a rangefinder and shoot the pin, then choose club based on that.

Tell me... A) Which is more accurate? B) Takes a shorter amount of time? C) Exact yardage doesn't matter for your story telling when you hole out...

Plus, it helps the average golfer sooner accept the reality that he only hits his 7iron 130 yards, not 160. I've long since been persuaded.

Funny story. I played 9 holes today with the owner and head professional at my home course. Second hole he pushes his tee shot and is the rough. Looks at me and asks me to laser the flag.

Before I can even get it out he says, "171 to the flag?"

Guess what the laser said, 171 to the flag. I chuckled.

Over the years I have gotten very good at judging the distance and am usually within a few yards. Between using markers, adding/subtracting for pin placement and judging distance from the marker used. That being said, its way faster using my range finder and its never wrong!

Plus, it helps the average golfer sooner accept the reality that he only hits his 7iron 130 yards, not 160. I've long since been persuaded.
Excellent way to use range finder is on the driving range to dial in distances. Or go to a THP event and get on Flight Scope. Either one works and is all the more reason you want the most accurate info available to you on the course.

the only concession I'll make to your bizarre rant is when somebody pulls their range finder from inside 50y. that's a feel shot in my book. other than that, no, I don't have super human distance observation powers. so knowing a 5y difference could very well dictate which club I pull, whether I choke down, or whether I alter my shot shape. if the tech bothers you, play hickory shafts and featheries. otherwise, you're a hypocrite for picking and choosing what aspects of technology advancement you've decided the rest of us are allowed to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with a lot of what you posted but I'm a bit flopped from you. I seem to be more suited to feel from 90 to 150 but when I get real close to the green I want to know if it's 25 yards or 35 yards. For me up close I am often surprised when I find a yardage plate that states 63 when I was thinking 40 at the most. When I'm close the contours of the green and what not always have me thinking I'm closer than I am. I certainly wouldn't pull out a range finder but a GPS watch would be something I could glance at to not look like a complete tool.

This point exactly! I grew up playing in the '70s and got along just fine. I have had 6 holes-in-one without the use of a rangefinder. IMHO, rangefinders slow play down even more than it already is. Let's be honest here ... how many of us out here are able to say that they hit their 5 iron 178 yards or know the distances of ANY of their clubs down to the yard?? I can assure you ... not many. I have played with people before that have looked at a hole placement, picked one club, looked at the rangefinder, picked another club and STILL ended up short.
This is why rangefinders are not allowed in tournament play. They will slow the game down EVEN more!

Not a Sermon ... Just a Thought

Well, that settles it.

I'm buying a rangefinder for the next DMV outing and making sure I'm in your cart. Then I'm going to laser every shot. I'll be sure to re-club two or three times, too.

And I'll leave it short :banana:

I agree with a lot of what you posted but I'm a bit flopped from you. I seem to be more suited to feel from 90 to 150 but when I get real close to the green I want to know if it's 25 yards or 35 yards. For me up close I am often surprised when I find a yardage plate that states 63 when I was thinking 40 at the most. When I'm close the contours of the green and what not always have me thinking I'm closer than I am. I certainly wouldn't pull out a range finder but a GPS watch would be something I could glance at to not look like a complete tool.

interesting and I appreciate the response. for me, inside 50y all I'm thinking about is where I want the ball to land and trying to "see" the shot. I wouldn't walk off a 10' putt to make sure it's 10' and I feel the same way about short game shots. interesting perspective though!

interesting and I appreciate the response. for me, inside 50y all I'm thinking about is where I want the ball to land and trying to "see" the shot. I wouldn't walk off a 10' putt to make sure it's 10' and I feel the same way about short game shots. interesting perspective though!

In North East Pa the golf season ends late fall but we have a decent amount of simulators here and there, that feed the need to stay sharp. Getting close to the green on a simulator you have very little perception of how far away you are. So knowing the exact distance as its readily displayed before you, which also shows elevation change, dictates my swing length or club selection. Transferring that to an actual green and staying true to a number,,,,,has helped me immensely this year. Yes landing in a certain spot is also key but being a slave to the number saves par more than not.

So if you are say 40 yards or so out, and there is a bunker between you and the green, you don't want to know what it is to clear the bunker?

So if you are say 40 yards or so out, and there is a bunker between you and the green, you don't want to know what it is to clear the bunker?

at 40y? no. I might walk it off to take a look, but I couldn't tell you what my 20y or 30y swing looks like. anymore than I think you could show me your 10' jump shot vs your 15' jump shot. it's feel and perception for me, then hit and hope i make decent contact and got it right :)

I play in different courses, many of which I'm not familiar with. A rangefinder helps a lot in distances, especially since the distance markers may mean distance the center of the green or the front of the green.

The only information I need is the net carry distance so I can assign a club to that. That's the rangefinder distance, plus or minus roll, elevation, wind, and other factors.

I also use the rangefinder for intermediate targets, like the distance to lay up or the escape distance before the ball runs out of fairway.

Finally, at 100 yards in is where I think the rangefinder is most important to me. A shot of exactly 53 yards is different from a 50-ish shot, those 3 yards may mean the difference between a tap-in or two putts.

I don't use the rangefinder on every shot. I don't need it for driver or shots exceeding 180 yards.

I usually loathe having to bring one more item to the course but the rangefinder has been worth it.

Well, that settles it.

I'm buying a rangefinder for the next DMV outing and making sure I'm in your cart. Then I'm going to laser every shot. I'll be sure to re-club two or three times, too.

And I'll leave it short :banana:
Too funny! In all seriousness, you saw me use the rangefinder ... what ... maybe once the entire round?? I have one ... someone make me an offer I can't refuse because I don't use mine! LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Too funny! In all seriousness, you saw me use the rangefinder ... what ... maybe once the entire round?? I have one ... someone make me an offer I can't refuse because I don't use mine! LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think you shot a couple distances for the group, pulled it once for yourself.

Don't remember if you left it short or not.

I can't believe DawgDaddy has not posted in here as much as he loves :in-love::guitar::zdance:his range finder!

I love my skycaddie. consistent and sometimes the markers on the course are not accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back