Recap & Picture Thread - 2013 THP IL Invitational

It's interesting to look back on the weekend and try and put into words how awesome it was, but I'll give it a go.

I already mentioned all the fun I had on Friday with Dance_Business, Rambler, and ToppDogg, but once again fellas thanks for the round. I'd consider myself lucky to do it again sometime.

Saturday was something else. This event that I'd been looking forward to for months was finally here. Got around to put as many names and faces together as possible. I think I've finally got them all down thanks to the pics!

It was awesome watching my partner Canadan pick apart this gorgeous course. That 3 wood is lethal!

Bhilin, Threshold, and Canadan were a great group and the scenery couldn't be beat. If I could've just hit a couple shots it would've been a perfect day. But, while disappointed with my (lack of) game, I had to keep it all in perspective that I was taking part in such an awesome event made possible by so many great people.

I wish I could've partaken in all the extra-curricular activities, but things are a bit hectic around the Tbone homestead lately. Looking forward to any and all opportunities I have to play with THPers in the future.

GG, JB, and Hawk deserve a huge pat on the back. Thank you all very much. I had an absolute blast!

I think we shook hands once and I didn't get to talk to you at all. Hopefully we'll get to tee it up sometime! You are a hawks fan after all, you must be a good guy.

Hell, you could have just called me Dan #57. (Is having the name "Dan" some sort of weird pre-req on THP?)

My name is actually Dan, but you can just call me Rock.

Congrats to Datguy and sleuth. Sleuth, good job representing IOWA!

Sounds like fun times had by all.

~Rock

I think we shook hands once and I didn't get to talk to you at all. Hopefully we'll get to tee it up sometime! You are a hawks fan after all, you must be a good guy.
Yessir! I like that logic.

Love these memories. Hawks Friday recap was hilarious.

Congrats on the win dudes! Awesome!

Congrats to the winners! Can't wait to read the recaps. Makes me sad I have to wait to next year to attend another THP event.

Congratulations to Sleuth & DatGuy on making the HOF.

Looks and sounds like it was a blast! Hate that I had to miss another event!

recap time!

Where to start, first off, thanks to Josh, Morgan, and Hawk for getting this all organized and getting the van out here for us to have a lot of fun! It all started Friday, I got a round set up for those that arrived early, and we had a blast, I think I can safely say that. We played my local course that I work for, and some thought it was easy, some thought it was difficult, but we had a great time and that's what counts. I played with Blugold, Hawk, and THE ATLLawyer. We tee'd off first, so Hawk could prance on out early to get checked into the hotel. We all had fun, played a "competitive warm up round" and losers bought the first round that night. Me and Blu got taken 5 and 4, thanks to my abysmal play this weekend. Lots of fun at the course, watching Seth almost get a hole in 1 on the 2nd hole, and a "fight" between a korean group and another group, all over a ball that BOUNCED into their cart. After the round, me and Blu headed to Portillo's to introduce him to the chocolate cake shake overload, and then headed to Top Golf. We met up with the group, had a few drinks, and quite possibly the highlight of the weekend, was seeing Sam hit the Top Golf clubs better than his own! The driver off the deck was impressive, as was the 3 hybrid with a offset that was worse than a plumbers neck putter. A bunch of great laughs and great people. The only downside, was this absolutely ruined my swing for the competition round. After Top Golf, Blu and Zenger came back to my place, as I was the hotel for the weekend :p We had a few drinks, thanks Joe for the case of WI only beer!!! Saturday morning rolled around, and we headed out for the course, and we arrived to see half of the group there, and the THP tour van at the range, we headed right there, signed in, etc....I then headed to the range, and that's where it turned bad...I hit a bucket and a half, and didn't hit one good ball. The group headed to the first tee, and we all cheered everyone on. I was paired up with Dance_Business, Interlooper, and 99srx. I apologized right then on the tee box, as my swing was just not there. I topped the ball off the tee about 20 feet, and it just got worse at the start. I started off triple, triple, triple, triple, which so happened to be the maximum score per hole, so I started 12 over through 4 holes. It started to get a little better, but not much, I ended up 9 over for the remaining 14 holes. That said, I had an absolute blast, and hope my partners did too, having to put up with my abysmal performance. After the round, I headed home, got showered, and ready to head to dinner. We all met up at Lou Malnati's, and as usual, the food was great. I had a great time seeing some old faces and catching up, as well as getting to meet some new guys. After dinner Blu and I headed back to the hotel of Hawk, Seth, and Dan #3. Got introduced to a true beer, that could put you on your arse quickly if you're not careful, and then headed back home and crashed for like 9 hours.

Some quick thoughts on the THP'ers here.

Josh and Morgan - what can be said, all you do for the forums and us as people, driving to god knows where to host these invitationals, and not to mention the concern they show for you as a person, me coming off of surgery, they seemed to be more concerned with me being healthy, than the event getting off without a hitch(which it went off without a hitch).

Hawk - You rock man, you got this weekend set up for us, and it couldn't have been better. You played great this weekend, and it was great seeing you again, take your well deserved break from organizing.

Blugold - Awesome seeing you again, and thanks for the case of New Glarus. Troll Troll Troll, that's all I'll say :p

Atlgolfer - Seth, what an awesome person you are, didn't even sue me after I bladed a chip into your leg....Oh wait, that was Hawk that did that :banana:

Zenger - What a swing, great meeting you, let's talk about those J33's if they treated you good on Saturday

Dance_Business - Awesome playing partner, keep up the good work! Would tee it up with you again any day

Interlooper - Joey, why did you have to run away back to Detroit? We missed ya Friday and Saturday night man!!! When you're done in that crap hole, let's tee it up!

Canadan and Playdough - They drove in the morning of the event, and left after dinner, very sad I didn't get more time with my mapleleaf brother! I got about 2 minutes of hockey talk in before the others put that to an end :p Keygan, it was great seeing you again, can't wait for the fall get together we discussed with both of you!

Manlai - Awesome playing with you over the week, too bad your partner didn't show yesterday, you had an awesome round!

Congrats to Sleuth and Dat Guy, awesome win, and great prizes.

I'm sure I missed some of you, and I apologize, but my memory isn't what it used to be :alien:

Dan

Let the champion speak!

It was a long weekend for me. Catching up with my old friends Friday, waking up frantically looking for some Advil and thinking if there's traffic I'm screwed and I'll be late. Also spent time with my family, and spent most of today in the car driving home and then playing with my daughter. And of course the Invitational in between all this, which is the reason I came out! It was great seeing a few familiar faces, and meeting new ones. It was perfect weather, and a beautiful course. Honestly, I can't remember playing a public IL course with so much undulation. Kudos to Hawk on a great course selection and organising - if you didn't continually thread bump I may have forgotten all about it. Thanks to JB and GG for even making all this possible.

It was great playing with Hitman, Coughlin and Datguy. I wonder if it was fate or a sick joke pairing an ISU alum and a U of Iowa alum together? We didn't find out until the 14th or 15th hole otherwise we may have killed each other by the turn. Things could have turned out very differently. Anyway, we both agreed ISU sucks and continued our round to invariably win. We complemented each other real well. I think we had 5 birdies between us and they were always on a hole the other guy screwed up! Overall it was a great group to play with - great golfers, good conversations and very easy going. I wouldn't hesitate playing with any of these guys when I'm back in the area.

Great weekend, but it's also great to be home! My daughter said "WOW!" when she saw the trophy, grabbed it and ran off. Hopefully I'll be able to get it back and throw it in my office. I look forward to defending the title next year!

Sounds like a great time. Congrats to datguy and sleuth. I really wish I was there for some of that pizza oh yeah and the golf.

Congratulations to Sleuth & DatGuy on making the HOF well done.
Great job out of Hawk for picking a great looking venue.
Sounds like it was another great THP party!!!!!!!!!

Lou Malnati's was so freaking good. I thought it would be good, but I didn't realize what was about to go down. The only downsides were 1) it made drinking afterwards a real challenge and 2) the mystery stench.

Now I can do this recap justice. It was a fantastic weekend in Illinois. My general thoughts and experiences first, then specifics. Watching middle aged Japanese men try to start a physical altercation was somewhat amusing. Considering that they were the slowest golfers I have ever seen. Honestly, it was like a trainwreck. We couldn’t stop watching. The level of camaraderie amongst THPers is amazing. I had only met of few of the people at the invitational before, but it felt like I knew them all. Poplar Creek was a pretty darn fun course. It was great to pull up and see the range and everybody interacting. The fairway bunker of a driving range was something else.

Top Golf is not the place to go to figure your swing out. But it is the place to go if you want to have a good time and realize that a junior flex shaft might be the right for you. Punch flop shots with a 3iron are the best shot in golf.

The Highlands of Elgin is a pretty interesting course. For as played as it is, it was in darn good shape. Some of those pin placements were diabolical to say the least. It would have been fairer to put a cup in some of those ponds. But we got it done. According to the starter, it was a course that would blow our minds with difficulty and make our children’s children weep. It didn’t, but it was fun. Also, apparently, pace of play is important there. I couldn't tell. It was a good a thing that the starter reminded us, often.

And in no particular order:

JB & GG – It amazes me how much you care about people. It is safe for me to say that you hadn’t met everybody there this past weekend previously, but it sure felt like you did. The place and universe you both have cultivated is astounding. I am proud to say I am a member here. You both should take great pride in what you have created. Also, hogstooth.

Hawk – Put in so much time and effort into this weekend and it showed. You talked with as many people as possible and I know everybody appreciated it. I am pretty sure you were wearing a flat brim on Friday. Pretty sure. You may be a beer snob, but you know what you like. I am happy to have provided you with something that you enjoy with the black IPA. Hawk quote of the weekend for me, Saturday night back at the hotel drinking a Russian Imperial Stout, “This is the kind of beer that gets people drunk.”

Dleavitt – I know the joke is to make up a first name for you. I appreciate everything you did for me this weekend, so I won’t. Dave, you are a fantastic guy and your hospitality was very much appreciated. For a guy who just had a part of your digestive system removed, you hit the golf ball. Hard. It was never a dull moment and a treat to spend the weekend with you. Dan, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

ATL – Ummmm…. We really didn’t get a long at all…. Other than perfectly. I lucked into playing 36 with you and it was an honor. You hit the ball really well, it’s inspiring. If your golf balls only knew a good lawyer… I’m still waiting on your golf blog to launch. I want you to light the internet on fire. We should totally invent a golf cart that can act as a cooler and mobile snack stand. We could sell stuff like Gatorade and food on the course. Too bad you’re not a patent lawyer. I don’t care what RL Hawk says, Summer Shandy and Spotted Cow are fantastic beers.

Ragarm – Being able to spend Saturday with you was an honor. You kept the mood light and showed us the way how to take down that stupid golf course. I really could not have asked for more fun and a better guy to ride around that course with.

Jugger – Dude crushes his stage 2 3wood. I thought it owed you money by how hard you hit it. Speaking with ATL, we both agreed that you’re awesome and hope to meet up again. Also, point of reference for anybody playing Jugger in the future, just mention “lactating moobs.” Totally ruins his game.

Zenger – Smooth cat. Darn good golfer. You have a ton of stories, I only heard the abbreviated versions of a few, I know that the long versions would be very entertaining. Good thing the course sold shorts.

Playdough – Awesome. Everything about talking to you was awesome. I will say that I could have played better on Saturday if your Seemore Newport 2.6 didn’t go all Arnold Toht in my hand and burnt my palm. Chatting with you at dinner was great. Watching your face as the second pizza was brought out was priceless. In my mind, you saw that pizza and thought “I immediately regret this decision.”

Canadan – You’re a cool mother – shut your mouth. I know you couldn’t stay too long on Saturday, which is probably a good thing because I feel like we could have raised a ruckus and gotten in some trouble. It would have been the good kind, but trouble nonetheless. Your scorecard was boring. All of those pars, no thank you. Sounds way too simple. Mmmmmmmno.

Thetopdogg – How come we didn’t know each other before? You’re a great representative for THP in the #grandaddy. You’re awesome to be around. You made me laugh at Top Golf. You made me laugh on Saturday. You were a lot of fun to be around. Also, thank you for not stealing my X Proto, I needed it on The Highlands.

Manlai – Top Golf brand golf clubs. Enough said. I hope you had as much fun as I did eating dinner at your table on Saturday.

Slueth – I know we didn’t talk much, but sitting next to you when you got your trophy and loot. Watching your face light up and the joy pour out was awesome. Good shooting, you earned it.

So many people that I wish I spent more time talking with.

Dance_business – Best dressed all weekend. It looked like he was ready for a paso doble to break out.

Rambler – Anybody who puts a Code 8 into a club is top notch in my book. Laughs a plently Friday and Saturday night.

I wish I could have talked with everybody . Thank you to all who came for coming out on a holiday weekend.

Fister? Barely know her.

Final note, the beverage cart girl liked my green shirt. :highfive:

Dang it, Vegas can't get here soon enough.

Lou Malnati's was so freaking good. I thought it would be good, but I didn't realize what was about to go down. The only downsides were 1) it made drinking afterwards a real challenge and 2) the mystery stench.

1) no such issues if we were drinking the Shandy (the Spotted Cow went down smoothly post pizza casserole -- tip of the cap to JuggerTron)

2) no mystery. None. At. All.

Congrats Sleuth & DatGuy!

Congratulations to Sleuth, and Datguy on the win. You guys earned it!
My first thoughts on the couse were that the guy who placed the pins either had a really bad night, or a mean streak a mile wide. They were probably the toughest I've seen overall. I know I certainly struggled on the greens. Of course I also struggled off the tee, and fairways too.
I had a great time playing with Zenger and Manlai. Those guys can flat out play! Zenger hits the ball further then I can even see. :bomb: This was my first golf outing of any kind, and I couldn't have been paired with a better group of guys. Not to mention getting to play the first couple of holes with JB and his caddy GG.
It was great just watching everyone at the range just hitting bombs after bombs, sending the retreiver to places that he rarely has to go. There certainly are some big hitters on this site. I had a blast, and hope to do it again when finances allow. There are no golfers like THP golfers.

I keep coming in here to do my recap, and there are 3 or 4 more awesome recaps for me read and then I run out of time. I'm going to try my best to get one up today. So many thoughts and people I want to say something about. Friends made, people met, and laughs shared.

One person I'll shout out at in my recap post again but I want to Thank them more than once is Canadan. A true friend of mine and awesome dude. Great travel partner, great conversationalist, and just an all round great man. Dan you are welcome in my home anytime and I'm happy that you got to meet my family and share dinner with us on Friday night, it was truly a great weekend. Thank You.

Well its recap time! Got some much needed sleep and to gather my thoughts from such a great weekend.

My weekend started off early Friday morning, up by 5:30AM and on the road by 7AM local time. Was a great drive, nice and easy with no construction or any sort of traffic. I thought, "Wow, this is awesome I will make great time and be able to check in before the round on Friday." I then realized that I gain a hour coming to Chicago so while I thought it was about 10 o'clock it really was 9. Whoops. I made it work by killing some time at Golf Galaxy. It was a good thing some people told me about the PGASS later or I might have spent way to much money this weekend. After Hawk picked up ATLGolfer from the airport we had our first #Grandaddy meeting over some italian beef at Portillo's.

Fridays round was an absolute blast. Big thanks to Dleavitt for setting that up for us, a great course with some really neat holes. I had the pleasure of teeing it up with Dance_Business, Rambler and Tboneafide. Some great dudes and we had a blast during our incredibly long round. I still can't believe Rambler isn't like a +2, he has such a great swing and is really consistent tee to green. Work on that short game and you will be single digit in no time! Tbonefide has quite a bit on his plate right now and it showed up a bit on the course. Take care of those little ones and when you get settled in I am sure those scores will come down and you will be where you want to be (dude can still putt lights out though). And Benji my man, you were so close to breaking 80! What a great round to witness, if only you could take back those couple of bad swings and think you would have done it! Enjoyed the round guys and I cant wait to tee it up with you gents again!

After the round Hawk, ATL, and myself all headed back to the hotel and got showered and ready to go play some Top Golf. I have never been to one and kinda heard what it was all about but man was I in for a surprise. I had an absolute blast there and really wish we had one near me. My night started off with hitting the new Optiforce driver from Callaway and I certainly came away impressed. There are a few things I took away from the night that will stick with me for awhile: Top Golf drivers off the deck go a long ways, even with 3" of offset a Top Golf 3 hybrid still goes really straight, floppy 3 irons are not the easiest thing to hit. There's more but these are the most important things that everybody should know. So after a few more drinks back in the room it was time to turn in and get ready for the even in the morning.

Saturday morning rolled around and had a little breakfast, a little jawing over why Summer Shandy is for ladies (I dont care if its delicious on a hot day, its still for girls. I am talking to you ShandyGolfer. Blu you can be included as well). So we packed up and headed over to the course to meet up with all the awesome THPers out on the range and got some awesome swag from the sponsor, Fairway Styles. Warming up on the range started out fantastic until I hit the altitudes. From there I preceded to hit 13 shanks in a row and I was rattled. Got a few good swings in before heading to the first tee but I knew it wasnt gonna be good. After putting for a about 10 mins it was time to tee it up and head out on the course, we were immediately met with Sergeant Slaughter who told us he was going to Cobra clutch us if we played over 4:20. Dude was serious about pace of play, which was nice and I think more courses should be like this.

So its time to tee off and my partner, Hawk, takes the first swing, and then takes his breakfast ball (I think we found one of them). We are officially off! I step up next and hit a decent 3w off the tee and I breathe a sigh of relief. If you were at the OH Invitational earlier this year, you would understand (I think I made it past the ladies tee...). Next up were our playing partners Mike and Tyler. Mike hit a tee shot right down the middle and rolled forever, a recurring theme throughout the day. And Tyler bombed his driver down the left side, another recurring theme throughout the round. Hawk and I didnt start off very well and both were not playing very well at all. The shanks carried over to the first hole and I had to take a triple, so I was thinking this was not going to be my day yet again. But after the third hole we found the cart lady and the Miller Lites really settled us down and we played some super solid golf the rest of the way in. Hawk played magnificent on the back side and was just super consistent and was rolling in putts from everywhere! Really enjoyed watching you play when you finally started swinging hard and saw everything come together. I also turned it around on the back 9 and started playing some really great golf. I really enjoyed getting to play a round with you Hawk and had a blast. I think the #Grandaddy this year is a lock for us. Lets just get a few beverages before we tee off on #1.

It really was a pleasure playing with Mike and Tyler and after the first 9 I really thought they were gonna win this thing. The back 9 a few bad swings put them into some bad spots but all in all they played some really great golf and it was awesome to share a round with them. Tyler my man you are still young, keep working and you will be a magnificent player very soon. Mike it was great playing with you as well, keep hitting all those fairways and work on that putter and you sir will be playing some better golf then you already are. I would love to tee it up with you guys anytime anywhere.

Saturdays dinner couldn't have been at a better place. Lou's was so good and it really hit the spot, and then just stayed there for hours and hours. The meat sweats combined with the beer was both enjoyable and miserable at the same time. Had a blast chatting with everyone and eating some really great food. Afterwards Blu brought some very delicious beer with him and we enjoyed a few drinks and a whole lot of laughs, and a few unpleasant smells as well (Hawk) before turning in for the night. In the morning, I was sad to say goodbye to my roomies for the weekend and #Grandaddy teammates as they headed back to the airport to send ShandyGolfer back to ATL where he can enjoy his girly drinks by himself. I headed home and just reflected on the awesome weekend I had and how I can't wait for the next one.

A huge thanks to JB, GG, and Hawk for getting this all organized and having it run off without a hitch. I had an absolute great time and love these events more and more. I am looking forward to my next one and the many more after that. If you havent had a chance to attend one of these, I highly recommend you try and get to one if its anywhere near your neck of the woods. A big thanks to Fairway Styles as well for putting up some awesome prizes and helping support this awesome community.

Congrats to Sleuth and DatGuy! Great playing and you guys deserved it!

I'll keep posting thoughts as they come back to me as well. Just so many fantastic memories from this weekend!

Hey Topdogg - remember when I liked you? :angry:

I've been laughing out loud while waiting for my car inspection to be finished.

Thanks Blu - paso doble
And TTD - Sargent Slaughter

Hey Topdogg - remember when I liked you? :angry:

I'll get him on the Shandy next month. Good luck drinking double IPAs when it's 95 with 98% humidity at the ATL Invitational.

You are so delicate for a such a big fellow. GregDan would never almost barf from a little running.

You are so delicate for a such a big fellow. GregDan would never almost barf from a little running.

I'll gladly run the 10K PBR challenge with any takers.

Back