Recovery after a round

TWright971

Team Hackers 2024
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So what does everyone do for recovery after playing?

It used to be nothing but getting older I have a few more aches and pains following a round. For me I come home and take two advil, Hot shower, then I’ll break out the Theragun mini and hit my calves and hamstrings. Lately I’ve been dealing with some golfers elbow and picked up these theraice sleeves. Pop them in the freezer for a few hours and you get a cold compression sleeve. Feels great on my elbow. Also got a larger one for my knee.

102EDCE4-192D-4105-B8A5-A77E07E4CF3B.jpeg

Nothing out of the ordinary just yet. Made a little Theragun here and there. Speaking of which I need to make sure to pack it for this week.

At least 2 beers with some self loathing

Last edited:
I'm already on painkillers on the course. So... ice cold Miller Lite and a burger & fries. Then head home, hop on the PC and enter my score on GHIN and reconcile the round on Shot Scope. Then watch some TV.

I don't do any kind of recovery, but I know that I should.

Lately has been foam roller on calves, then theragun on the neck, shoulders and back with a hot shower with the shower head on the message setting on the neck and shoulders

Before I got sick, not much. I would just play, and go on about my normal business afterwards.

I suspect my recovery time will be spent much differently once I start playing again.

Man, if I put ice on my elbow i get some insane nerve pain. I’m jealous.

It used to be nothing but getting older I have a few more aches and pains following a round. For me I come home and take two advil, Hot shower, then I’ll break out the Theragun mini and hit my calves and hamstrings. Lately I’ve been dealing with some golfers elbow and picked up these theraice sleeves. Pop them in the freezer for a few hours and you get a cold compression sleeve. Feels great on my elbow. Also got a larger one for my knee.

View attachment 9158878
I cryosleeve too. Religiously. Even though I hate every single minute of it.

View attachment 9158878
Be careful with Advil and other NSAIDs. They interact badly with many, many prescription meds. If you have no scrips, no worries, but many people are mixing these with no idea how dangerous it can be.

Theragun

I’ve got bad elbow pain, mainly from lifting weights I think. I wear compression sleeves when I lift, but I think I like the idea of those cold sleeves too.

Frequently I will roll and stretch when I get home. I feel much better when I do. Sometimes however I eat lunch then go home and take a nap.

I get out the theragun when it’s real bad but most of the time it’s a little stretching followed by a glass of wine in the hot tub.

Typically a beverage or two... once home it'll be tylenol and a hot shower and perhaps a good stretch...

Stretching, theragun, ice, and diclofenac cream for the hands mostly.

Once I get a few rounds in, which I have this year pretty quickly for being north. I don't have any issues. Walking and carrying keeps me loose so long as I've built up to it. Have never needed any pills. Occasionally a decent foot rub is nice.

I’am nearly 62 , Can’t say I’ve ever had physical issues with soreness / injury management … only playing/ walking in sustained heat , which requires hydration prior and during and post round ..

I went to the gym after I played today. Had way too much energy all day.

My hips tighten up from sitting at lunch afterwards and in the truck on the drive home, so I'll sometimes hit them with the Theragun for a couple minutes. My usual routine when I get home after a round (early afternoon) is catch up on THP and drink some water, a hot shower, and a power nap.

A hot shower usually works best... and then some light stretching for the hamstrings and calves if needed.

Afterwards? Nothing. Beforehand, Celebrex. Possibly half a Norco or a Prednisone, dependant upon my pre round level of misery.

hydrate if it is a very hot/humid day. I hit balls and do golf workouts most days so I am constantly recovering which looks like ice on the lower back, stretching and golf exercises in the morning.

Back